Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

What jokes while she fought him? I can't recall a single one. If you're talking about all of the things he said to calm her down after the fact (as mentioned below, kudos A Necessary Evil), then that was for a reason, completely in character, and wasn't designed to make the villain the butt of any joke. If after four appearances on film, you still either don't expect this sort of thing from RDJ's Tony Stark or just can't come to grips with it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Your 'criticisms', and I use the term loosely, are far too embellished to be taken seriously. If you can't articulate your grievances well, don't resort to making things up to compensate.

:up: You probably don't recall it because it never happened. Much like the telling of endless jokes and punchlines after she fell from the platform.

Totally ruining all these super serious moments. I can't wait to hear that tired platitude when Guardians hits.

:up: Excellent post. None of the emotional moments (or for that matter... "criticisms") bothered me by a "joke that took away from the gravity of the situation." Yeah, IM3 was definitely the most comedy-based of the three, but it's moments were tender when necessary. What's next, "Tony's first panic attack was ruined because he cracked a joke that of all people to get on, he would? SO FAHNY."

Yeah, that was awful. Even worse was the "comic relief" of Thor and Malekith sliding down that office window or whatever it was.

Terrible. Just terrible. TDW was the first real disappointment from MS for me, though I did like it overall.

He says "I got nothing" after Pepper hits him. Also there the climatic pause of Tony waiting for new armour not long after Pepper (appears to) die and it breaks down, the way it was done was played for laughs. I could take it before the but after her fake death the whole thing should have just been serious.

Also on your next post try not to act like a smart arse.

[Tony's thought process]"....I'm screwed"

"Sir, Mark 42 inbound"

"I'll be damned, the prodigal son returns."

*Mark 42, because Tony never finished it for combat breaks down and malfunctions*

"..whatever. I'm gonna stall and try to distract Killian"

:huh:

Terrible. Just terrible. TDW was the first real disappointment from MS for me, though I did like it overall.

It's strange. My reaction to Thor: The Dark World was that it was a big improvement on the first film, and it was easily my favourite superhero film of 2013. But in the months since, it seems the shine has really come off it for many and all I seem to read are complaints and criticisms about it. I'll be rewatching it tonight (completing my Phase 2 rewatch leading up to seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier tomorrow), and I'm intrigued to see if my opinion has swayed the same way or if I love it as much this time as I did first time round.

I've felt the same as day one, in that Thor 1 is vastly better than TDW, in every aspect. I do like TDW, and it was a fairly good world builder of a film..but my issues lie with the runtime, editing, the fact that ONCE AGAIN Loki is the center of the film...which in a way I understand because of TA, but still...and that I hated Jane/Darcy/Co. The Warriors Three, and Sif needed more time...but that was given to Darcy/Intern for forced and unfunny comedy..and I'm sorry, but I did not like the ending. It completely ruins a fantastic emotional moment. Plus, while visually the film was gorgeous, the bleak tones annoyed me. Basically I'd say it was like Star Wars Episode II:

Unfocused, kinda bland, visually fantastic....something I like, but in comparison to the others, not anywhere near as much.

I've felt the same as day one, in that Thor 1 is vastly better than TDW, in every aspect. I do like TDW, and it was a fairly good world builder of a film..but my issues lie with the runtime, editing, the fact that ONCE AGAIN Loki is the center of the film...which in a way I understand because of TA, but still...and that I hated Jane/Darcy/Co. The Warriors Three, and Sif needed more time...but that was given to Darcy/Intern for forced and unfunny comedy..and I'm sorry, but I did not like the ending. It completely ruins a fantastic emotional moment. Plus, while visually the film was gorgeous, the bleak tones annoyed me. Basically I'd say it was like Star Wars Episode II:

Unfocused, kinda bland, visually fantastic....something I like, but in comparison to the others, not anywhere near as much.

Agreed but I wouldn't even call it visually fantastic. The effects themselves are up to par, but Asgard is nothing more than a generic, dark fantasy realm. It's just GOT on a bigger budget and I wouldn't have picked Taylor to helm the film at all. NONE of the shining, gleaming, ethereal, opulent visual splender of Asgard in the first film is represented. "Unfocused" is really the key word for TDW. The film just felt very play it safe/by the numbers/don't stir the pot.

I actually think one of the big advantages over the first film that TDW had was that Asgard's depiction was much better. It felt like more of a real place that actual people live in rather than a sterile, gleaming soundstage.

I actually think one of the big advantages over the first film that TDW had was that Asgard's depiction was much better. It felt like more of a real place that actual people live in rather than a sterile, gleaming soundstage.

And to that, I say I don't care how more "real" it felt. :yay: It's a fantasy world outside of our own...how real should it feel? I see where you're coming from, totally but I'd rather have a visually splendid world that may feel a little un-lived in than a generic darker GOT/LOTR's look.

He says "I got nothing" after Pepper hits him.

I'm sorry, but is that what you call a joke? :dry: I must have missed the punchline, because I fail to see how that short phrase ruins the moment. Is it out of character? Was it over the top? Inappropriate? Campy? What is it exactly that ruins this scene?

Also there the climatic pause of Tony waiting for new armour not long after Pepper (appears to) die and it breaks down, the way it was done was played for laughs. I could take it before the but after her fake death the whole thing should have just been serious.

This again. See Evil's post above.

Also on your next post try not to act like a smart arse.

Well, how about on all of your future posts, you try to be coherent?

It's very difficult to take you seriously when you regurgitate cliches, make broad generalizations while refusing to explain yourself, and don't apply much reasoning behind your statements. After enough prodding, you just cited two dodgy examples to justify the idea that the humor ruined the serious moments throughout the movie.

I'm sorry, but is that what you call a joke? :dry: I must have missed the punchline, because I fail to see how that short phrase ruins the moment. Is it out of character? Was it over the top? Inappropriate? Campy? What is it exactly that ruins this scene?

This again. See Evil's post above.

Well, how about on all of your future posts, you try to be coherent?

It's very difficult to take you seriously when you regurgitate cliches, make broad generalizations while refusing to explain yourself, and don't apply much reasoning behind your statements. After enough prodding, you just cited two dodgy examples to justify the idea that the humor ruined the serious moments throughout the movie.

Not only that, but where is all the hate for the action scenes in the first film played almost entirely for laughs/smiles/humor? The middle east scene has many comedic moments and almost the whole jet chase is played for laughs. The escape scene ends with a big joke right after his Tony's friend is killed. Yet where is the criticisms for THIS? The only action/drama bit of the whole first film without any laughs that I can think of is the final fight.

I never got that from Thor, it felt real to me in the first also, and much more gorgeous.

Not only that, but where is all the hate for the action scenes in the first film played almost entirely for laughs/smiles/humor? The middle east scene has many comedic moments and almost the whole jet chase is played for laughs. The escape scene ends with a big joke right after his Tony's friend is killed. Yet where is the criticisms for THIS? The only action/drama bit of the whole first film without any laughs that I can think of is the final fight.

I wouldn't go that far, there's some good dramatic moments in IM1, such as Obidiah taking the Arc Reactor from Tony. Same for IM3, and even IM2.

Having just finished rewatching Thor: The Dark World, I will admit that it has slipped in my estimations on repeat viewing. Still good, though, and I still liked it more than the first one.

But anyway, back to Iron Man 3!

Hey, that's fair enough, that's what opinions are for.

But yeah, Iron Man 3 talk plz.

My rating is 8/10

I liked: The Iron Legion, The Mandarin twist, Pepper in the suit
I disliked: The lack of Iron Man for most of the film, Aldrich Killian and I hate how Coldblood was handled. I hope they could like recover him and make him a cyborg (a la Deathlok/Comics Coldblood).

Overall, I liked it. :)

IM3 is awesome. I've yet to see real criticism of the film, as an actual film. Most of the time i just see people *****ing about the whole Mandarin thing.

I think it balanced humour and tension perfectly. Tony Stark's way of dealing with trauma is to laugh it off, so it makes sense for this character. And he had a great character arc. Learning to face his demons and over coming his insecurities (that were shown in the Avengers with Cap) that he's just a man in a suit. Stark shows that he is the hero. HE is Iron Man.

The twist was genuinely "holy **** where did that come from!" and Killian was probably the second best Marvel villain outside of Loki. The action was creative and spectacular. The final fight between Tony and Killian was genuinely tense, as well as beautifully choreographed and shot. Savin was also a really great "dragon" (tvtropes is your friend!).

Black getting complete freedom to make his film is welcomed by me. I do like Marvels films, but there is no doubt a lot of micromanaging going on. Obviously a lot more harmonious than what happened with Fox in the Rothman era. But still, until this film i don't think a single director has been about to fully stamp their vision and personality onto the films. Loved the satirical/deconstruction elements and lampshading of other genre tropes, like Stark blowing Haley off in a *****ey way. Also just the little touches like the normally voiceless goons having some witty back and forths with Stark. In particular the guy who is like "i don't even like these people i'm outta here!" Typical Shane Black. Very genre savvy.

For me it's Marvels best solo film (haven't seen TWS yet)

Last edited:
IM3 is awesome. I've yet to see real criticism of the film, as an actual film. Most of the time i just see people *****ing about the whole Mandarin thing.

I think it balanced humour and tension perfectly. Tony Stark's way of dealing with trauma is to laugh it off, so it makes sense for this character. And he had a great character arc. Learning to face his demons and over coming his insecurities (that were shown in the Avengers with Cap) that he's just a man in a suit. Stark shows that he is the hero. HE is Iron Man.

The twist was genuinely "holy **** where did that come from!" and Killian was probably the second best Marvel villain outside of Loki. The action was creative and spectacular. The final fight between Tony and Killian was genuinely tense, as well as beautifully choreographed and shot. Savin was also a really great "dragon" (tvtropes is your friend!).

Black getting complete freedom to make his film is welcomed by me. I do like Marvels films, but there is no doubt a lot of micromanaging going on. Obviously a lot more harmonious than what happened with Fox in the Rothman era. But still, until this film i don't think a single director has been about to fully stamp their vision and personality onto the films. Loved the satirical/deconstruction elements and lampshading of other genre tropes, like Stark blowing Haley off in a *****ey way. Also just the little touches like the normally voiceless goons having some witty back and forths with Stark. In particular the guy who is like "i don't even like these people i'm outta here!" Typical Shane Black. Very genre savvy.

For me it's Marvels best solo film (haven't seen TWS yet)

Well said. For me it's the best Marvel solo film outside of The Winter Soldier and MAYBE the first Iron Man - my fondness for the first has me clinging onto it as the best of the trilogy, but another viewing may cement the third's status as superior. Shane Black is just a great writer/director, and this feels like a great Shane Black movie. If you judge it on its merits as a film, rather than on its merits as an adaptation of the source material or on how seriously it tackles its subject matter, then I think it's quite clear it's a great piece of filmmaking. And I think it does great stuff with the character of Tony Stark, Shane Black and Robert Downey Jr really do work well together.

Well said. For me it's the best Marvel solo film outside of The Winter Soldier and MAYBE the first Iron Man - my fondness for the first has me clinging onto it as the best of the trilogy, but another viewing may cement the third's status as superior. Shane Black is just a great writer/director, and this feels like a great Shane Black movie. If you judge it on its merits as a film, rather than on its merits as an adaptation of the source material or on how seriously it tackles its subject matter, then I think it's quite clear it's a great piece of filmmaking. And I think it does great stuff with the character of Tony Stark, Shane Black and Robert Downey Jr really do work well together.

I really like your opinions Keyser. How would you rank MS'movies from best to worst?

I really like your opinions Keyser. How would you rank MS'movies from best to worst?

Thanks! I'd probably rank them something like this...

THE AVENGERS: 10/10
THE WINTER SOLDIER: 9/10
IRON MAN: 8/10
IRON MAN 3: 8/10
THE DARK WORLD: 7/10
THE FIRST AVENGER: 7/10
THOR: 6/10
THE INCREDIBLE HULK: 6/10
IRON MAN 2: 6/10

To tell the truth The Avengers has never impressed me from day 1, i would ratter watch most of the other solo movies than the so called "Event", as a filmmaker, Joss Whedon still has a loooong way to go. Iron Man 3 was great, one of the most entertaining movies of the year, if not the most.

As a sidenote...

My rating is 8/10

I liked: The Iron Legion, The Mandarin twist, Pepper in the suit
I disliked: The lack of Iron Man for most of the film, Aldrich Killian and I hate how Coldblood was handled. I hope they could like recover him and make him a cyborg (a la Deathlok/Comics Coldblood).

Overall, I liked it. :)

...this blew my mind. I had no idea Savin was based on an actual villain from the comics. I just thought he was originally created for the film. Personally, I really dug James Badge Dale's take on the character. Shane Black sure does love writing nasty banter to bring his evil henchmen to life.

There's a ton of nods to the comics, even the minor character that almost killed Happy and blew up? Came from the comics- Jack Taggert (Firepower). Savin was based off Mallen [from Extremis, as was one of the influences for Killian] moreso than Coldblood, imo.

There's a ton of nods to the comics, even the minor character that almost killed Happy and blew up? Came from the comics- Jack Taggert (Firepower). Savin was based off Mallen [from Extremis, as was one of the influences for Killian] moreso than Coldblood, imo.

Yeah, I originally figured he was just a Mallen analogue, but him having Coldblood's real name was a nice touch.

Well I for one couldn't care less about the Mandarin in the comics, but I still thought the film was merely okay. I thought it lacked energy, and I wasn't that into the plot, the character work, or the kid.

I loved the fanboy in the van though, and the honest henchman ("These guys are so weird").

6.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
[Tony's thought process]"....I'm screwed"

"Sir, Mark 42 inbound"

"I'll be damned, the prodigal son returns."

*Mark 42, because Tony never finished it for combat breaks down and malfunctions*

"..whatever. I'm gonna stall and try to distract Killian"

:huh:

I understand what Tony was doing fine. I'm saying is that scene was intended to be funny, it shouldn't be like that after said event.

I understand what Tony was doing fine. I'm saying is that scene was intended to be funny, it shouldn't be like that after said event.

Why though? WHY? Tony didn't make a joke. The situation is what was funny. I hardly count a "whatever" as cracking a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"