Iron Man 3 Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have your right to your opinion, but when you start trying to convince others that they shouldn't like it...

The same can be said for people trying to convince others to like it, we just stand out more since we're in the minority. It goes both ways, neither side should have any issues with it......

Yeah, the Shane "the Hack" Black comment was over the top.

Over the top? It was just me poking fun at this guy because I didn't particularly care for his take on Iron Man, had no idea I'd cause all this chaos, LOL.....been a while since I've done so, hahaha....it's all good.

Quite apart from the Mandarin plot twist, even if he wasn't in the movie, I still found the other villains rather boring. They almost seem just like something invented for a generic sci-fi movie or villains thought up for an episode of Smallville on the level of meteor freaks.

Had Kingsley been the Mandarin that was advertised, he could've been one of the best comic book movie villains and one of the most terrifying, as well as one of the best movie villains regardless of being a comic book movie or not. As I mentioned in another thread, he almost was portrayed as someone so relentless as to target Tony on a very personal level and breaking him and driving him back to the cave. That would've really been something to see. Killian didn't even really do that as a villain in his own right. I just feel it is a missed opportunity here.

Iron Man 3 was the first film since Iron Man 1 within the ENTIRE MCU where I DIDN'T think any of these things while watching it:

1. Film was under budgeted

2. Looked like a TV Movie with a large budget

3. Marvel was holding back on the violence and mature themes

Iron Man 3 was the first film since Iron Man 1 within the ENTIRE MCU where I DIDN'T think any of these things while watching it:

i hope people do -and continue to- realise that iron man 3 had a much bigger budget than thor 1 and 2 and cap 1 and 2.

i hope people do -and continue to- realise that iron man 3 had a much bigger budget than thor 1 and 2 and cap 1 and 2.

While that is true, I don't think a budget is what makes or breaks a film when it comes to making something looking great based on the way its shot (camera angles, lighting, etc.) alone.

Case in point, I thought Iron Man 3 looked a lot more cinematic and well polished than "The Avengers" (which I still enjoyed), despite the latter film having a bigger budget and being bigger on scale. Shane Black, I'd argue, is better at staging action sequences than some of the previous MCU Directors imho.

Funny, I have never thought that any Marvel Studios film looked like a TV movie. If you have ever actually seen TV movies that look like Marvel's theatrical releases, please name them because I would love to check them out.

Funny, I have never thought that any Marvel Studios film looked like a TV movie. If you have ever actually seen TV movies that look like Marvel's theatrical releases, please name them because I would love to check them out.

Well, I'd argue that Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America didn't come off as TV Films, but I'd also say that they were suffering from one of the other issues that I mentioned above; whether it was that the films felt like they were under budgeted for the story that they were trying to tell (Thor and CA) or that it felt like Marvel was presenting a story where they could have gone in deeper with the source material but ultimately chose not too (Iron Man 2).

It's really the Avengers that I felt like gave off a TV Movie vibe in the sense of how scenes were executed at times with the types of shots and even camera/screen size used for it imho. I can't think of any TV Movies off the top of my head but I'm clearly not the only one that thought the same as I've read many feeling the same way as well.

I saw IM3 for the 2nd time last weekend with my girlfriend and I enjoyed it more than the first time.

Well, I'd argue that Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America didn't come off as TV Films, but I'd also say that they were suffering from one of the other issues that I mentioned above; whether it was that the films felt like they were under budgeted for the story that they were trying to tell (Thor and CA) or that it felt like Marvel was presenting a story where they could have gone in deeper with the source material but ultimately chose not too (Iron Man 2).

It's really the Avengers that I felt like gave off a TV Movie vibe in the sense of how scenes were executed at times with the types of shots and even camera/screen size used for it imho. I can't think of any TV Movies off the top of my head but I'm clearly not the only one that thought the same as I've read many feeling the same way as well.

This is true, I don't know if it's intentional...but most of these MCU films, especially Thor, Cap and Avengers have a TV movie vibe. Clearly it's not a problem for the people who made the Iron Man movies because it never felt that way to me.

Don't you know anything ?!?! It was a deeply engaging and genius social commentary aiming the mirror at the way the world views terrorists. Apparently if it has a beard Muricans wanna kill and destroy it. Little do they know that even people who wear 3000 dollar suits can be villains. :doh: :rolleyes:

Charming little dismissal and oversimplification of other people's perspective on the movie. Clearly those who think that must be seeing and imagining things. Ridiculous.

I'm gonna ask a question that many others have been avoiding: is Iron Man 3 Disney's fault?

I'm gonna ask a question that many others have been avoiding: is Iron Man 3 Disney's fault?

Disney has no involvement with Marvel, other than assisting with film distribution costs. Marvel is a wholly owned subsidiary. They run themselves as an independent company, just as Pixar does.

yeah the 900 million this movie has made is totally disney's fault.

and wait the old "Avengers is a TV movie" thing??
Yes, Joss frames some shots in a TV-show kinda way, but Avengers was way more polished and epic in scope than any TV movie.
I agree IM3 was framed somewhat more cinematic, but that's not to say Avengers looked like television
I think the FX studios and cinematographer would kick someone in the nuts if they heard that

LOL.

I don't know but I'll speak for the Disney CEO, yes you can blame me for Iron Man 3 and all that moolah and raving reviews. Please, blame me.

Sincerely,
Disney CEO

Charming little dismissal and oversimplification of other people's perspective on the movie. Clearly those who think that must be seeing and imagining things. Ridiculous.

His screen name shouldve been a clue as to his trollish motives.

Wallcrawler, just accept that Killian was indeed The Mandarin. From there, once you've accepted reality, you might be able to make more cogent arguments. You just have to get past the denial phase.

Not sure how Iron Man 3 is Disney's fault. It seems even less of a Disney film and some things seem less suitable for children than in other Marvel films (eg people burning/ exploding, some bad language etc).

They went with the smaller screen format because the 3D conversion turns out better in that format.

So what did everyone think of the 3-D? I saw it in 2D so I have no idea. Worth it? Also Im curious if the 3D viewers had a generally different opinion of the movie than 2D or IMAX.

For Avengers? Probably the best post convert 3D to date. If you mean IM3, the 3D was OK, nothing great. IMAX 3D looked great, but more for the big screen than the 3D convert.

You know, I'm having the weirdest reaction to this movie. It's utterly unlike any reaction I've ever had to another film. Usually(almost always, actually) My final assessment of a film is more or less a variation on my initial reaction. If I liked it initially I might come to like it more or even love it or perhaps not like it as much but still on the whole enjoy it and consider it good. Same thing if I initially didn't like it or hated it.

I've never had my opinion flip though. But it's flipping with this movie. I HATED, HATED, HATED this movie when I first saw it. And it's entirely about the twist. But as I watch it more I am really starting to warm up to this movie. I still hate what they did to the Mandarin and I think even if I was never an Iron Man fan who knew him prior to this film I still wouldn't like the twist since it takes what seemed interesting and makes it less so. Sorry, but Guy Pierce as the villain is much less interesting than Kingsley would have been. Pierce is best in roles that use his bland-ness as a strength(LA Confidential, for example).

But all the rest of the stuff in this movie is quite excellent and I'm starting to dig it. I still like IM2 better on the whole and IM1 is miles better but I think I'd put this at the bottom of the MCU list right about the same as TIH. Probably a 7.5/10

SOLID 9.5/10!

I absolutely loved how the Mandarin was portrayed. I can understand why some people wouldn't (and don't) but I loved it. [BLACKOUT]For all you haters, the REAL Mandarin did turn out to have powers. (Yes, I consider Aldrich Killian to be the Mandarin!)[/BLACKOUT]

I felt Extremis was also well done. [BLACKOUT]Who needs Fin Fang Foom when you have fire breathing super killers? [/BLACKOUT]

I cannot express enough love for the final fight sequence! [BLACKOUT]Tony jumping from suit to suit was probably the best part.[/BLACKOUT]

However, I think the best part of the film was how Tony was dealing with New York and the Avengers. We get to see how the invulnerable Iron Man is actually VERY vulnerable.

Since there is no 9.5 I'll give it a 9 since the only (Marvel) film I think should get a 10 is the Avengers.

This movie would have been sooooo much better served if instead of a faux Mandarin which was sure to piss off the fans, they had made a faux Malen as a domestic terrorist and kept it all within the Extremis story confines. You could still have had the twist and used Malen as a Timothy McVeigh type right wing nutjob terrorist to draw attention away from what Killian was doing. I'm confident the fans would not be complaining nearly as much about a nothing villain getting shafted and the general audience is oblivious either way. If they'd done that then I think 95% of the anger at this film would disappear. And I don't feel sorry for them that they are getting the reactions they got. There's no way they didn't know this was going to piss people off.

How this film has come to make a billion I will never know as it's a mediocre superhero film. Just blows the mind that people would see it over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"