Official The Hobbit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From page 200 of Fellowship:

From page 200 of Fellowship:
Strider walked forward unconcernedly. 'Get up, old stone!' he said, and broke his stick upon the stooping troll.
Nothing happened. There was a gasp of astonishment from the hobbits, and then even Frodo laughed. 'Well!' he said. 'We are forgetting our family history! These must be the very three that were caught by Gandalf, quarrelling over the right way to cook thirteen dwarves and one hobbit.'

Exactly what I was thinking!! Nice job dude!

Not that I want this specific design, but I hope we get a shot similar to this in the movie:

smaug.jpg

Jackson can make that look a hundred times better I'd say.

Well, yeah. The idea is with CGI, anything can look 100x better than a hand-drawn picture. What I think he means is the element of suspense that picture conveys. Bard at the end of a wooden dock, Laketown burning in the background, the Black Arrow notched in his bow, pointing towards a sky-bound, fire-belching Smaug. I'm sure it will be worthy of pausing, and turning into a desktop wallpaper.

Since Bard and Smaug don't have to be cast right away (since they appear in the second half of the book anyway), who else do we have to cast?

I think Hugo Weaving still needs to be confirmed. I know that the Elfen King needs an actor as well..

I know that David Tennant is the current rumored front-runner for Thranduil, but it's not been confirmed/denied yet.

Originally Posted by Octoberist
Since Bard and Smaug don't have to be cast right away (since they appear in the second half of the book anyway), who else do we have to cast?

I think Hugo Weaving still needs to be confirmed. I know that the Elfen King needs an actor as well..

I know that David Tennant is the current rumored front-runner for Thranduil, but it's not been confirmed/denied yet.

Since the other thread is closed, I'm just going to post this again... :o

smaug.jpg

And for those who want any easy way to keep up with Hobbit news, TORn and Galatia Films are collaborating on a weekly series of videos called 'Hobbit in 5'; which is basically just a 5-minute recap of the past weeks' Hobbit news.

Here's the first episode:

[YT]Vk9_PBpkPvM[/YT]

I love John Howe's Smaug. It has so much personality to it.

sketchesSmaug.jpg

john_howe_middle-earth_smaug%20sketch_med.jpg

sketchesSMAUG_ASLEEP.jpg

And for those who want any easy way to keep up with Hobbit news, TORn and Galatia Films are collaborating on a weekly series of videos called 'Hobbit in 5'; which is basically just a 5-minute recap of the past weeks' Hobbit news.

Here's the first episode:

[YT]Vk9_PBpkPvM[/YT]
she said there was good news and bad news about the extended blurays....but she didn't mention the bad news...

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Finally, remember our news about the Extended Versions of the Lord of the Rings films coming to Blu-ray later this year? Well, our friends over at The One Ring.net posted a little bit more information. The expectation is that the release will be an exact or near-exact port of the previous Extended Edition DVD sets, with the films obviously now in HD video with lossless audio. It's remotely possible that you might also see some kind of teaser video for The Hobbit. I'd personally be happy if the set just included everything that was on the 4-disc DVD sets, along with those 3 newer documentaries that were only on the more recent Limited Edition DVD sets. (The Limited Editions were the DVDs that included BOTH the theatrical and extended cuts via seamless branching - see our DVD review here. Each also had a second disc with a NEW documentary on that making of the film.) That way, at the very least, you could count on being able to ditch all your previous DVDs when you upgrade to Blu-ray. As for the future "ultimate" editions, don't look for those until after the Hobbit films are finished, as Jackson likely won't have a lot of time to create new bonus content until then... and no truly "ultimate" set could be released without the Hobbit films anyway.

Dominic Keating Auditioned for Role in Hobbit

Have you got any other work coming up?

I just did a Call of Duty, the new game called Black Ops; I’m the bad scientist on one of the levels who’s got all the weapons of mass destruction. I thought I was going to just get series regular on a new show called “Hell on Wheels” for AMC, it’s a very good script and I was their boy for quite a few weeks but they decided to go very young on my part on the end which was a bit of a belly blow but look out for that anyway it’s a good show. And I’m still waiting to hear on the Hobbit. They’ve been in production a long time to get this going but they lost their director which is maybe why I haven’t heard anything yet so fingers crossed. There’s a couple of parts which I read for and they were pretty good auditions. So there it all is really.

320x240.jpg

Definitely an elf. My guess is that he auditioned for Thranduil.

Last edited:
Even though I've never heard of him before, I'd still take him over Tennant for the role of Thranduil.

But I'd prefer somebody else entirely, though. If he's not cast as Smaug, get Bill Nighy.

Last edited:
kind of off topic a little, but does anybody know where you can by props from LotR? I've had Strider's sword for ever, but can't find a scabbard for it...

kind of off topic a little, but does anybody know where you can by props from LotR? I've had Strider's sword for ever, but can't find a scabbard for it...

Peter Jackson stomach ulcer scare

Filming of The Hobbit will be delayed after director Sir Peter Jackson was hospitalised with a perforated stomach ulcer.

Jackson was admitted to Wellington Hospital last night with acute stomach pains.

A statement said he had undergone surgery for a perforated ulcer.

"Sir Peter is currently resting comfortably and his doctors expect him to make a full recovery."

Sir Peter's surgery is not expected to impact on his directing commitment to The Hobbit beyond a slight delay to the start of filming, the statement said.

A perforated ulcer, also known as a bleeding ulcer or a perforated peptic ulcer, is a very serious condition where an untreated ulcer can burn through the wall of the stomach, allowing digestive juices and food to leech into the abdominal cavity.

While it's a little sad that shooting will be delayed, I'm glad that he's going to be getting rest before taking on this massive project. Because honestly, I was already beginning to worry about the guy when I saw him interviewed about the actor strike. He looked like he was about to have a stress-induced heart-attack, and that was months before shooting was scheduled!

Get well PJ!

Jeez. And I believe there's a correlation between ulcers and high stress levels. Kinda scary.

Get well soon, PJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"