Ok! Now John Dahl is out! This looks bad now!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/crap-is-john-dahl-now-out-of-punisher-2/

If this is true I hope Marvel stops LGF. Lionsgate can't just make any Punisher film they want just to keep the rights. Jeez.

Edit: Link updated.

Crap. Is John Dahl Now Out of Punisher 2?
Written by Nix on 05.22.07
punisher-jigsaw-070522-small.jpg
A little while ago (about five days ago, in fact) there was great news that John Dahl was in talks to direct “Punisher 2″. Now it seems as if the same site that brought us that potentially insanely good news has brought us really bad news — namely that Dahl has now walked from the project. Why? Apparently because the script for “Punisher 2″ is “f-cking terrible - beyond bad, embarrassingly bad”. I wonder what he meant by that?
Minus Dahl, the sequel is apparently still going forward without a director. What in the world for? If this is the same script that chased away original star Thomas Jane, and now John Dahl, how the hell could it possibly be any good???? Gah, whose leg am I gonna have to hump to get my “Punisher” sequel around here…
The Punisher is mad. He wants his “Punisher 2″ movie, too:
punisher-jigsaw-070522.jpg

Dude, that's not what that article says at all. It says they'll have a new Frank Castle as "Thomas Jane has reportedly quit the project." Is there some other article about John Dahl out there? Or is this just a mistake?

I was going to say, I dont see a single word about Dahl being out...

As for the script being terrible, I think that was obvious from Jane's departure. LGF, when you're ready to listen, contact the fans.

We broke the news here on Freeze Dried Movies that director John Dahl (Rounders) is in talks to helm The Punisher 2 for Lionsgate films, which will feature a new Frank Castle as Thomas Jane has reportedly quit the project.

:huh:

You people need to learn to read. It says it clearly in the article Dahl is out.

No, man. No. Look.

Exclusive: We broke the news here on Freeze Dried Movies that director John Dahl (Rounders) is in talks to helm The Punisher 2 for Lionsgate films, which will feature a new Frank Castle as Thomas Jane has reportedly quit the project. He claims conflict of schedule, but could this be the real reason?

Our scooper, who has been dead on since day one, tells us that he has caroused through the latest draft of The Punisher 2, which was written by Nick Santora (Prison Break) and cleaned up by Kurt Sutter (The Shield). What our scooper tells us is that the script is "f-cking terrible - beyond bad, embarrassingly bad," he continues, "I don't think anyone in their right mind would touch this with a ten foot pole."

The script is said to feature Jigsaw as the main villain. Maybe all of this negative buzz will help get things in check before shooting actually begins. I for one liked the first film, which was released by Artisan back in 2004, and would love nothing more for this to become the new Marvel franchise we all love. But with the limited budget, rushed script and the loss of Thomas Jane... I don't know if Castle can survive this time.

It does not feature a new Frank Castle as Thomas Jane. That's just silly, Dark. I know I bashed you a little in the other thread but I'm just seriously trying to point out that something in this article has been misconstrued. Dahl is not out of the project... in fact, we don't even know if he has yet been put ON the project. Just... slow down a little.

I posted the wrong link. That's why I deleted that "learn to read" comment. LOL

Here's the link:

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/crap-is-john-dahl-now-out-of-punisher-2/

Okay, awesome, there's the right article. However, the morons who WROTE this article claim that the FreezeDriedMovies.com article (see above) says John Dahl said the script was "****ing terrible."

Clearly they can't read. It was an anonymous "scooper" who said it was terrible. John Dahl did not.

JOHN DAHL IS NOT OFF THIS PROJECT. Freeze Dried Movies is being misread. In fact, it was a misreading to say that Dahl is ON the project... HE IS JUST IN TALKS. That is all that has been reported... everything else is just misread. The internet is surely providing some poor articles these days.

You know you're right. After reading that the other site didn't read it properly. I went to freezdried movies and I can see how he got confused. It got me at first too. Well at the very least this article confirms the fear over the script possibly.

Okay, awesome, there's the right article. However, the morons who WROTE this article claim that the FreezeDriedMovies.com article (see above) says John Dahl said the script was "****ing terrible."

Clearly they can't read. It was an anonymous "scooper" who said it was terrible. John Dahl did not.

JOHN DAHL IS NOT OFF THIS PROJECT. Freeze Dried Movies is being misread. In fact, it was a misreading to say that Dahl is ON the project... HE IS JUST IN TALKS. That is all that has been reported... everything else is just misread. The internet is surely providing some poor articles these days.

Yep. I just noticed that and commented at the same time. Good eye.

Can someone change the name of this thread then to Scooper Reads script and doesn't like it or something like that.

You know you're right. After reading that the other site didn't read it properly. I went to freezdried movies and I can see how he got confused. It got me at first too. Well at the very least this article confirms the fear over the script possibly.

_1944248_jameson_pa.jpg

You're fired! Get out of my office.

jag

:oldrazz:

Everytime I read the thread title I laugh. This is turning into a farce.

Just confusing writing and the dude who wrote the blog on it made it worse cause that's where I got the info from before even looking at the source. Oops.

From what I heard the script is more violent than the first film. That's all I know.

Freeze Dried Movies says that John Dahl (THE GREAT RAID, ROUNDERS) is in "major talks." I can't confirm he'll direct, but my sources at Lionsgate did mention he was in the running. Also in the running was HOOLIGANS director Lexi Alexander.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32688

John Dahl, You Kill Me Interview

UGO: Speaking of big franchises, I have to ask about The Punisher 2.

JOHN: Yeah, I met on that because I liked the idea of a brutal action movie. You can't really do a vigilante movie any more but here's this guy giving you the perfect opportunity to actually do a vigilante movie. I loved the idea of some guy who can throw four people into a dumpster and throw a can of gasoline in and toss a lighter in and walk away. And you'd just hear the people screaming in the background. If you could just get the humor of the comic book. He's got this deadpan delivery. It's action and black humor and I would have totally been there, but I just started realizing that the franchise has too much baggage. They made it before with Dolph Lundgren. They made it before with Thomas Jane. The one with Thomas Jane I thought was kind of static. It was sort of like "Okay, come and stand here." I actually thought I could make a better movie. But then when I really started thinking about what it was and the fact that the studio kind of didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, it was like "Do I want to do an action movie in 40 days? With a massive second unit?" And the script was not that good.

UGO: So, your involvement is officially dead?

JOHN: Yeah. But action? I would love to do an action movie.

^ No wonder why Jane left the project, no one wants to touch it. Too bad the script sounds sucky.

lil_collider.com_logo.gif

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp?aid=4608&tcid=1

Rumor’s have been flying that John Dahl – the director of “You Kill Me,” “Rounders” and “The Last Seduction” – was going to be directing the sequel to “The Punisher.” But after talking with him today at the junket for “You Kill Me,” you can now take his name off the project.
Question: About Punisher 2. What is your take on that sort of property as far as crime hit men?
John Dahl: You know I had talked to them about doing that but I’m actually not doing it.

Q: You decided not to?

JD: Yeah.

Q: So what happened then? Because we were excited about you doing it.

JD: I love the idea of a kick-ass vigilante that’s got a really black sense of humor that can throw three people into a trash can and light them on fire and walk away while they’re screaming. That just sounded funny to me. But I wasn’t sure that the script could really get there, that would have that sense of humor. And it also felt like it had too much baggage, not in a bad way… there was just too much… I’d be sort of digging myself out of a hole right from the beginning.

Q: So what is your next project?

JD: Right now there are some feature films that I’m looking at but nothing…they’re all complicated to put together. But I am going to be directing an episode of "Californication."

While many thought the sequel to "The Punisher" would’ve moved forward by now, with Thomas Jane off the project and now John Dahl, the question is will we ever see another film starring Frank Castle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"