• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Ok, so I'm VERY late on seeing Nolan's "The Prestige" but...

NinjaTurtleFan

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
I was amazed how much violence Nolan was allowed to have in the movie. Christian Bale gets two of his fingers shot off, a woman's hand gets impaled by a malfunctioned magic trick, Christian Bale is hung, and it just makes me wonder if Nolan will up the ante on violence of this movie.

He said it'll be "darker" so I'm hoping Christopher Nolan pushes up the violence a little in this next one.

Well, it's gonna have the Joker so...

"Oh yes, there will be blood."

What I thought was fascinating about THE PRESTIGE was how Nolan employeds one exceedingly fantastic element in a mostly down-to-earth film - I imagine he'll end up playing the high fantasy aspects of Batman's world much the same way.

I will see The Prestige on Jan 18th (release date for theatres in my country), so i hope I will love it :) :up:

BTW, I doubt Nolan will use too much violence in TDK, it's still a adventure superhero movie. As for me, I see there a mix of two great movies - Blade Runner and Se7en ;)

What I thought was fascinating about THE PRESTIGE was how Nolan employeds one exceedingly fantastic element in a mostly down-to-earth film - I imagine he'll end up playing the high fantasy aspects of Batman's world much the same way.
Exactly. I understand why some people are worried about making Batman too real but IMO, the Prestige proves he has no problem with fantasy and therefore, bodes very well for TDK.

Also, it's a look at how good/bad a writer Jonah is. What's the verdict on that, BTW?

Thanks for the Spoiler Tags Buddy.

Miranda Fox said:
Exactly. I understand why some people are worried about making Batman too real but IMO, the Prestige proves he has no problem with fantasy and therefore, bodes very well for TDK.

Also, it's a look at how good/bad a writer Jonah is. What's the verdict on that, BTW?

I think Jonah Nolan is a great screen writer. he wrote story of Memento, took some part in helping Goyer with BB script and wrote The Prestige (I read some spart of it and I am very positive about everything what he did).

So I guess we shouldnt worry ;) :up:

Cinemaman said:
I think Jonah Nolan is a great screen writer. he wrote story of Memento, took some part in helping Goyer with BB script and wrote The Prestige (I read some spart of it and I am very positive about everything what he did).

So I guess we shouldnt worry ;) :up:

Good to know - thank you! :)

Just as long as The Warners don't have a repeat of the past and decide TDK is too dark, and hate Nolan away from directing BB3.

But I doubt they'd be that dumb.

Miranda Fox said:
Well, looking at the screenplay, I think THE PRESTIGE is pretty well written. At the very least, Jonah can certainly write dialogue, and that's what we really needed for THE DARK KNIGHT. I'm elated that he's the screenwriter and not David Goyer.

NinjaTurtleFan said:
He said it'll be "darker" so I'm hoping Christopher Nolan pushes up the violence a little in this next one.

I doubt it. They do have toys to sell, afterall. It will likely continue being Batman-The Family man edition.

Morzan said:
Just as long as The Warners don't have a repeat of the past and decide TDK is too dark, and hate Nolan away from directing BB3.

But I doubt they'd be that dumb.

They have been dumb in the past, they are dumb now, and they will be dumb in the future. :yay:

You can't compare the violence in Prestige to what we will see in TDK because WB wants PG-13. Also, you can talk all the crap you want about Burton's B89 but that (and Returns) will continue to be the most violent Bat films for a long time. People today are more PC than they were in the `80s.

Catman said:
You can't compare the violence in Prestige to what we will see in TDK because WB wants PG-13.
Erm...Prestige IS pg-13...

NinjaTurtleFan said:
I was amazed how much violence Nolan was allowed to have in the movie. Christian Bale gets two of his fingers shot off, a woman's hand gets impaled by a malfunctioned magic trick, Christian Bale is hung, and it just makes me wonder if Nolan will up the ante on violence of this movie.

Yes, but nothing violent is really shown. I mean the stuff we do see, like hanging and malfunction are like split second events, blink and you'll miss them.

NinjaTurtleFan said:

More action and violence. The JOKER is coming....more horror,violence,action,thriller, ups and downs etc...

Crooklyn said:
Erm...Prestige IS pg-13...

The Prestige is a different type of film. Nolan was able to get away with stuff WB would not approve of in a Batman film. I think WB feels that they learned their lesson with Batman Returns.

And Batman is a family film, whereas Prestige isn't. And The Prestige has no toys to sell. Batman does.

Therefore, as Batman is a family film, TDK will have next to no violence. Much like Batman Begins.

Catman said:
The Prestige is a different type of film. Nolan was able to get away with stuff WB would not approve of in a Batman film. I think WB feels that they learned their lesson with Batman Returns.
same goes for the fantasy aspect. Nolan does not want this to be a fantastical film, and the fact that he CAN implement fantasy is irrelevant, as he won't. The Prestige calls for a certain element of fantasy to make the story work, The Dark Knight will not. Don't forget that The Prestige is also an adaptation, and much of the films' meaning comes from that fantastical element; without it, the story would mean nothing.

Agentsands77 said:
Well, looking at the screenplay, I think THE PRESTIGE is pretty well written. At the very least, Jonah can certainly write dialogue, and that's what we really needed for THE DARK KNIGHT. I'm elated that he's the screenwriter and not David Goyer.

Actually Goyer did a good job working on BB script. Yeah, some scenes and dialogues didn't work so well, but this doesn't mean the whole script was bad. Besides, I'm glad that he wrote script treatment for TDK and BB3, because he works better with storytelling :up:

Tojo said:
TDK will have next to no violence. Much like Batman Begins.

TDK will be action-packed, but not violent.

Leon the Professional said:
Did anyone notice that Borden ( :batman: ) essentially beats Angier ( :wolverine ) through extreme prep time?

Yep, and I loved it. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"