OMG, more deaths? 100th episode spoilers

I really think Chloe will die in the show, I perfer her to Johnathan

Kaboom said:
what part of the canon are we talking about? pa kent lives in the modern age superman right? he only died in the movie version and in silver age superman i think. jonathan doesn't have to die at all and it will still be consistent with superman comic lore.
Unfortunately, TPTB seem hell bent on keeping SV free of "egregious inconsistencies in the mythology" with the Reeve films and by extension, SR. You're preaching to the choir if you say that's ludicrous, 'cause I agree with you. But it doesn't change the fact that right now, they do seem to want to keep things as consistent as possible, and that means Jonathan dies, soon. We'll just disregard the fact that Clark not only knew Lex and Perry White while still in high school, he lived with Lois, lost his virginity with Lana, and had run-ins with Mxy, Brainiac and Zod's disciples - all when he was still a teenager. We'll also gloss over the fact that Kryptonite is more common in Smallville than asphalt, Metropolis is three hours away from the town, Jor-El and other Kryptonians visited Earth in the past, and there's a transportation device ala Star Trek in a Smallville cave that can beam *anybody* to Clark's Fortress of Solitude at the North Pole with the use of an octagonal key.

Yeah, we'll just ignore those tiny little details. But Jonathan living into Clark's adulthood... oh no. We can't have that. That'll just be a glaring glitch in continuity, doncha know?

/sarcasm

<- Loves SV, and wishes they'd be left alone to do their own thing. I don't want to see Jonathan offed any more than you guys do. *sigh*

Jonathan MUST die.

As great of a character he is, he has served his purpose. With his death, the son will become the father. Clark will have learned everything he will needs to know from Jonathan by the time he expires, most importantly, that he cannot save everyone.

Besides, once he dies, Smallville will be forced not to fall back into the same old same old. The structure of the show will change and to be honest, it really needs to.

But then consider this Season the LAST Seaosn if they are going to "Force" a big change on the Show which should NOT happen right now. Maybe if the ratings were dropping sure but Story Wise Jonathan is STILL needed. A big move like that = Season 5 being the Final Season. Otherwise in Season 6 & maybe 7 Clark will be the Stupid A$$ & will still want to hang out with Lex or not yada. Killing Jonathan is NOT needed right now. He is STILL important. Jonathan dying should be THE thing that helps Clark accept who he is & becomes Superman in Jonathans name. Jonathan should ALWAYS die of Natural Cause & NOT Jor El. Like someone said if they mess this part up then they are truly nuts.

Jonathan dying because of Jor El can NOT happen. Other wise that is just forcing the Story to go to a point it does not need to be yet unless Season 5 is the Final Season which it isnt. All I got to say is if Jor El kills Jonathan I won't be very happy. They will be messing up a BIG reason Clark becomes Superman & Jonathan should NOT die until Clark is ready to BECOME Superman shortly after his death.

LOL@all the speculation.

Is it February yet? :D

Jonathan is still needed? how is he still needed? and nobody is saying Jonathan dies because of Jor-El.

It's pretty simple..

dead3ae.jpg

Dead, and..

http://media.putfile.com/gong15

dead. lol.

Everything is possible on SV.

Bingo. For whom the bell tolls.

Seriously folks, I think people need to come to terms with this un. Jonathan's a goner. Chloe will eventually be too, as will Lionel. Hell, give 'em all enough time and only Clark will be left standing LOL. But it's looking like Jonathan will be toast first.

I had vacilated on who would be toast, but in the end I think I agree with you, Pat.

Jonathan makes the most sense at this point, as distasteful as his eventual fate would be to most, I think Lionel and Chloe have more uses story wise than Jonathan at this point in time.

He's served his purpose. Martha said it in Solitude (I'm paraphrasing).

"You're a man. My job as a parent is done. I meet my death gladly if it will let you live."

That statement is as true for Jonathan as it was for Martha.

Don't you remember Clark telling her it wasn't true? And he was right. No offense to you personally, triplet -- I've heard many others say the same thing -- but the implication that your parents can just go kick the bucket the minute you turn 18, because they're not needed anymore, really annoys me. Heck, I'm 30 and I still need my mom and dad! And besides, just because they're done raising me doesn't mean they've fulfilled their whole purpose in life. I'm not arrogant enough to think they were put on this earth solely for the purpose of getting my sister and me safely to adulthood.

Well, of course in real life your parents job being over as soon as you become an adult isn't true. I know that and I don't think that.

My own father died when I was a teen and I sometimes think that some of the stupidity in my early adulthood could have been avoided if I'd had his advice to go off of instead of just my mother's....

However, in a dramatic sense the Kents have done their jobs. And I can see that insofar as the show is concerned, Jonathan's job IS over and he may be a prime candidate to be the one to kick it.

Well, you're both right, so to speak. In terms of having served their purpose, Triplet is talking from a literary POV. Gina is looking at the real life metaphor. In either case, losing a parent is a tragedy that nobody is ready for, be they 18 or 80, but it's something most people will experience at least once in their lives.

In the ever-changing world of the Superman mythos, Clark's father doesn't always die when Clark is 18. In point of fact, in some versions, he doesn't die at all. But we all know how SV is following certain plot elements from the Silver Age and more specifically, the S:TM/SR continuity, so Jonathan's death is inevitable.

But if this depresses people, lemme remind everybody that this is SV LOL. As much as they like to hit us between they eyes with realistic drama, the show is still a fantasy. The parable can still be conveyed, even if they break their own rules. And we all know how much the SV producers LOVE to break the rules. :p

Good arguments and speculation, from everybody.

I agree Jonathan and Chloe will be gonners, I just dont think it will happen yet, and not as a consequence of Clark's actions. They've been throwing us hints left, right and centre about these two since Hidden and it all just seems too obvious.

And as you say this is Smallville and they follow their own continuity, they just borrow from the other storylines.

Now just to throw something totally wild and crazy out there, what if Lana does die in Clark's arms, he thinks she's gone.

Later on Lex gets her back, revives her somehow, she has no memory of her past and sees him as her saviour and falls in love with him.

I dont know if anyone remembers the Bionic Woman, but I kind of drew that storyline from that show.

Basically what I'm saying is, that they could twist this and throw anything in there.

But I still think its Lion-el.:D

I'm sorry to hear that about your dad, triplet (even though it happened a while ago, I'm still sorry!). I hope I wasn't offensive or hurtful.

I do tend to conflate the real-life POV and the literary POV a lot -- comes from being an English major, I think. :) And I can see why a character sometimes has to die to serve an end in literature (e.g., Dickens's Sydney Carton or Victor Hugo's Jean Valjean). However, I don't think that's the case here.

And I sometimes think we all give TPTB a little too much credit when we try to figure out why they do things. Via the grapevine, I've heard rather sketchy accounts of John's contract dispute with the network this summer, from both sides. The accounts differ, of course, but both sides agree on the root of the trouble: The network thought it could save a little cash by kicking John off the show.

So much for Donner versions and Silver Ages and all the rest of it being the reason for anything.

Anyway, the dispute seems to have been resolved, and as I said, I've recently heard a bit of news that makes me hopeful, though not 100 percent confident, that the network will keep its word. But apparently you never know for certain with these things, so we'll have to wait and see.

Jonathan's a goner....just not at the hands of Jor-El, and most likely not in Episode 100...

343 posts on this subject so far. :)

We can speculate all we want, and even try to apply logic backed up with canonical references.. bottom line is that there is just no way of knowing. All bets are off. They certainly *could* throw the ball completely into left field and make it Martha or Lana.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm really enjoying reading all the varying opinions and reasonings behind them.

I still say.. Lionel/Jor-El, or Chloe.

Wow... triplet has a triple post... ;) :D

GinaRenee said:
I'm sorry to hear that about your dad, triplet (even though it happened a while ago, I'm still sorry!). I hope I wasn't offensive or hurtful.

No, not at all... Thanks. It was sobering a few years back when I realized that I'd seen more years of my father out of my life than I had with him in it.

The biggest thing I regret is him never meeting my husband, I think he would have like my choice of life companion, and he never had a chance to be a grand dad to my and my sister's kids. They're great kids and he would have been a wonderful grandfather.

GinaRenee said:
I do tend to conflate the real-life POV and the literary POV a lot -- comes from being an English major, I think. :) And I can see why a character sometimes has to die to serve an end in literature (e.g., Dickens's Sydney Carton or Victor Hugo's Jean Valjean). However, I don't think that's the case here.

And I sometimes think we all give TPTB a little too much credit when we try to figure out why they do things. Via the grapevine, I've heard rather sketchy accounts of John's contract dispute with the network this summer, from both sides. The accounts differ, of course, but both sides agree on the root of the trouble: The network thought it could save a little cash by kicking John off the show.

So much for Donner versions and Silver Ages and all the rest of it being the reason for anything.

Interesting...

Things are sometimes done just because it's convenient (for whatever reason) not because it means anything. Fans tend to read more into things than was ever intended. True.

GinaRenee said:
Anyway, the dispute seems to have been resolved, and as I said, I've recently heard a bit of news that makes me hopeful, though not 100 percent confident, that the network will keep its word. But apparently you never know for certain with these things, so we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, I think ultimately we will just have to wait and see but in today's environment on TV I don't think anyone is really safe. (Except for Clark, in the case of Smallville.) It seems to be in vogue right now to kill off regular characters. Lost has already killed off several and apparently isn't done yet and Desperate Housewives is doing the same, from what I've heard.

I doubt they would tease Johnathons death in S3 at Jor'El hads just to have him die now by his hands. They wouldn't have set up Chloe at the DP just to kill her. I haven't read all 14 pages on this so this may have been discussed but does anyone think it could be Pete, he's Clarks best friend even if Chloe has taken that in role in his absence, they could shock us by bringing him back only to die. The second major death could also just be arecurring character rather than a main one, it could be one of the freaks that die, or the sheriff, somebody like that

I believe this was one of TWO big threads on Reckoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"