Origin Of The \S/ symbol

MikeE

Civilian
Reaction score
How would you like to see Superman symbol explained in a new film? There have been a few different explanations in the past:

• When Superman was first created in 1938, the S simply stood for Superman. No deeper meaning.
  • The Donner film introduced the notion that it is the family crest of the House of El.
  • The Byrne reboot in the mid-eighties had Jonathan Kent design it.
  • Birthright broadened the Donner notion to make it a Kryptonian symbol of hope.
  • I'm not 100% of the specifics, but Smallville also uses it as a Kryptonian symbol. It showed the symbol as an \8/ at first, but later translated it to \S/.
Most interpretations have its origins come direclty from Krypton. The style of the lettering in the shield has changed from time to time to make it look more alien and less like an S. I'd like to see a slightly different take. The fact that a Kryptonian symbol happens to look like the letter S always seemed too convenient. I'd like the diamond shape to be the crest of the House of El. Clark - wanting to create a symbol that depicts both his Kryptonian heritage and earthly upbringing - selects the letter S as he wore that symbol on his letterman jacket all throughout high school. Maybe the Smallville patch looks like the Action Comics #1 logo.

What are your ideas?

I like it as the El family crest, but I can go either way. Your idea of combining an "S" with another Kryptonian crest sounds cool too.

snakeheal.jpg

i like it best as the family crest. i have no problem with an alien symbol being similar to an earth letter.

Yeah the Kryptonian family crest is the way to go...and then it comes to mean something more like hope or a symbol of inspiration. Leave the Kents out of it.

I like the idea of it being the family crest, even though this idea did not originate in the comics (tho it has made its way in there now) its still the best origin for it imo. Oh btw its also the family crest in Smallville as well.

In addition to it simply being the El family crest, I also like the explanation of the symbol itself from the book, The Last Days of Krypton. It is said to be the serpent of deception, trapped within the prism of truth. One could say, in that case, that it literally represents truth and justice.

I too do like the family crest deal, but i would go with maybe martha and jonathn design the suit with him and the last piece is the S symbol that was either on his ship or something that came from his ship to lead into it being a kryptonian mark.

I'm fine with any of those choices, though I've always liked the family crest.

I like the idea of it being a Kryptonian symbol that sort of resembles an "S", and means hope, inspiration, etc. I don't think it has to be the El family crest, as he's The Last Son of Krypton, not just The Last Son of El.

I liked the Birthright explanation, where it was a universal symbol on Krypton, rather than being exclusive to the house of El. I like the idea that it represents the concepts of Truth and Justice, especially.

everyone knows the S stand for superman
In the 1978 movie it look like a kryptonian emblem from of the house of Jor-el
but me, I have a better idea for you nitwits!
how about the shape of a galaxy !
and please get rid of that stupid A on cap America forehead
Rob Liefield's emblem was better

It should be the logo of the Krypton Space Program.

I'm only half serious.

I'd like the diamond shape to be the crest of the House of El. Clark - wanting to create a symbol that depicts both his Kryptonian heritage and earthly upbringing - selects the letter S as he wore that symbol on his letterman jacket all throughout high school.

This I like. :up:

El family crest.

Family crest is the way to go. I liked Birthright but the whole spin on the sheild being representative of the whole planet I did not like. I prefer it being the family crest but it's understood that it's an easily identifiable hand that all other Kryptonians can read ... kinda like how a Chinese person is quite likely to know how to read and recognize a name written in Chinese.

the origin of the symbol is unimportant
Well it could be unimportant if you dont bother do to anything with it. With the right writers they could come up with a good and logical reason behind the whole look of it.

Well it could be unimportant if you dont bother do to anything with it. With the right writers they could come up with a good and logical reason behind the whole look of it.

As a side note, I wrote an outline for a book about Clark Kent becoming a police officer.
He started out as an officer in Smallville, then moved to Metropolis and became a police officer.
He struggles with trying to hide his powers while trying to use them as a police officer, then finally decides to don the cape and costume.
In my story, the "\S/" comes from his police equipment from when he was an officer in Smallville. It was on the badge, his rainjacket, etc, and Martha uses it to create the costume.It is called "Officer Kent."
I was going for the "based in realism" that would place a new Superman movie squarely in the Nolanverse so Bats and Supes could exist in the same world.

It is what it is. Why does it have to have a definition??

He adopts the shield only after Lois identifies him as Superman in her coverage in the Daily Planet. Clark wheres a different costume until he decides to fashion the symbol onto the suit after the name becomes iconic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"