Superman Returns Ottman on Superman - Interesting Read

It wasn't really useless. It just reminded him and the audience of life in Smallville, which is pretty important to him.

It shows that no matter what Krypton may have had in store for him if there was life at the remains, Smallville is still his home.

J.Howlett said:
It wasn't really useless. It just reminded him and the audience of life in Smallville, which is pretty important to him.

It shows that no matter what Krypton may have had in store for him if there was life at the remains, Smallville is still his home.
Really? You don't think that could have been done with more scenes between Clark and Martha instead of showboating his powers? In my opinion the scene with young Clark is completely unnecessary especially considering what else was cut.

man why cant superman just go back in time and ignore this movie

Thanks Retro, thats a great article. Hope Singer and Ottman work together for many years to come as i think they are both great at what they do.

Lighthouse said:
Well I wish he would have replaced the younger Clark jumping around scene with something that would have been more plot relevant. In a movie they were trying to cut down on time, that scene was completely useless.

The thing is, it really isn't useless. A lot of people complain about that scene and how Clark is actually wearing glasses. But the end of the scene tells us that Clark no longer really needs his glasses; with the coming of his powers his hindrance was gone.

Now why is this important? Later on in the film when Jason finds his power, he looks at his asthma medicine and realizes, much like Clark did in the flashback, that he no longer needs it.

It's just needed to mirror what happened to Clark and what happens to Jason. Is it a major plot element? No, but it is neat to look back on. :)

Exactly, Freddy. I had forgot about that aspect. I didn't catch that the first time I saw the film.

Freddy_Krueger said:
The thing is, it really isn't useless. A lot of people complain about that scene and how Clark is actually wearing glasses. But the end of the scene tells us that Clark no longer really needs his glasses; with the coming of his powers his hindrance was gone.

Now why is this important? Later on in the film when Jason finds his power, he looks at his asthma medicine and realizes, much like Clark did in the flashback, that he no longer needs it.

It's just needed to mirror what happened to Clark and what happens to Jason. Is it a major plot element? No, but it is neat to look back on. :)

Exactly, both scene's mirror each other in those moments.

It's sad that a lot more meaningful "mirror moments" got lost on the cutting room floor. :(
kryptonitedog said:
hey hey! we all have disgreements! no need to argue!

friendszz7.jpg
That's one of the most horrific things I've seen all week. Windowlicker face.......eeecccch.

J.Howlett said:

hmmmmmmmmm. i see this different. the krypton scene were more important for the story. the title was superman returns(he is returning from krypton).
also important were teh scenes with lex and kumar. they were the oens who made that sueprman was gone for 5 years.

but hey. lets just have some fake CGI of young clark jumping. i htink it is very obvious that WB told hium that he has to use the smallville scenes since they spend a lot of money to build everything.

The idea of Lex sending Superman to Krypton isn't that big an issue to the overall story. I like the idea that Krypton was actually out there instead of some stupid ploy by Lex to get Superman off Earth.

However, having Kal-El exploring the remnants of Krypton would've given us at least a couple more of those "mirror moments," such as the ship navigating the canyons (and/or entering the Valley of the Elders; seen in the teaser trailer) mirrored with Superman flying into New Krypton for the first time; Also, Kal-El surveying his ancestral crest (and, as described in the novelization {I believe}, wanting to reach out and experience it physically) mirrored with Jason, in the hospital room, tracing the curvature of the \S/ with his hand.

Plus...
the Return to Krypton might've given us more opportunity for more use of the Krypton leitmotif in the score. Always a good thing, in my opinion.

J.Howlett said:
We'll eventually see the Return to Krypton sequence.

Thats a given, we just have to be patient, as for now, i love SR the way it is!

A bit off topic but what song is that from the Superman Returns teaser released a while back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"