Oz: The Great and Powerful - Part 1

I enjoyed it but part of me feels like it could have been better but I'm not exactly sure why at the same time..

The visuals and Raimi camera work was good but at the same time it kinda felt like Disney said to Raimi "you can do what you want as long as it's looks like Wonderland" which I can understand 'cos it made a billion dollars or whatever.. Some of the CGI looked a little off too, like some of the flying bits for example but the CGI for the China Girl was fantastic.

I liked the way in which it works as a prequel, alluding to various characters from the original and I also liked how it mirrored the original - the transition to colour, the collecting of friends on the quest who need something and how characters in Kansas had a counterpart in Oz.

Mila was alright but I wasn't so keen when she became the Wicked Witch though. The voice was a little over the top and at one point after the transformation she flat out sounds like Meg but it was more the appearance.. the pointy nose and chin... I know it's the classic evil witch look from the original but it just seemed off to me for some reason... I don't know why they didn't just paint her green and leave it at that. Mila also talked up her character going on a big transformational journey in the film but I didn't really see it so much. Maybe stuff was cut but it seemed a pretty quick and simple process from I love him to I hate him, now I'm evil....

And lastly I think me and my mate were just being really childish but we found several bits throughout unintentionally funny... namely Franco and some of the stuff he said to the female characters such as his bits at the end with the China Girl ("I know what you want but I can't give it you") and Glinda ("I have something for you behind this curtain").. the writers must have known how it all sounded..

All in all it was good and I enjoyed it and would like to see the sequel. David Tennant for the Tin Man.

Last edited:
If they intend on making a couple more films leading up to the WWoO, then I say go for it. I'd love to see an introduction to Locasta and her dealings with Mombi, and her freeing the Gillikins from Mombi's tyranny. Obviously Roth and Co. would need to find a way to work Oz into the story as well.

Also somebody mentioned Princess Ozma could also factor into this new mythology too. Think it will be cool to see Locasta struggle in her battle with Eleanora too leading up to the events of the WWoO timeline. Btw, did anybody notice if Rachel Weisz was wearing silver slippers at all?

How about this Golden Cap that controls the Flying Monkeys (which are now made to be Baboons)? Apparently it originally belonged to a Sorceress or something?

As for the WWoO which will eventually be remade, and most likely be faithful to the source material:

- Guess Weisz will have a cameo in the film as Dorothy's house lands on her.
- It will be great to see a proper CGI Lion like Aslan (wonder if he'll get all cowardly like Cringer from Masters of the Universe).
- Be cool to see Scarecrow and the Tin (Wood)Man dispatching Theodora's attacks making for some pretty interesting action set-pieces!
- Dorothy putting on Golden Cap controlling the Flying Baboons (be cool to see a flashback into how Eleanora acquired the Golden Cap in the first place although somehow is in Theodora's possession). But as it stands there appeared to be no Golden Cap in the Witches' possession in Oz, the Great and Powerful so maybe we'll never see it at all.

As for Oz, the Great and Powerful - I really enjoyed it! Funny how the things that Oz gives to Finley, China Girl, Fanfare Blowing Man and the Head Tinkerer, serve as a foreshadowing to when the Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion all receive their gifts, which were also rather petty lol.

Already getting excited for what's in store despite Sam Raimi supposedly not returning for the sequel? Also I didn't spot out Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell either. Better watch the movie again which is pretty likely. :)

And yes I've never read the book actually, though I really should. Just throwing ideas in there thanks to the Almighty Wiki! :p

Last edited:
Just saw it & liked it. Fun little movie. I'd see sequels

I actually started to develop a slight crush on Michelle Williams again. I had one back in her Dawson's Creek days but it kind of faded over the years.

Agree. I never really looked at Michelle Williams that way but they way played Glinda with such sincerity was something to see. Favorite character in the whole movie.

I actually started to develop a slight crush on Michelle Williams again. I had one back in her Dawson's Creek days but it kind of faded over the years.
This is so true. Except I didn't really have a crush on her in her Dawson's Creek days.

Watching Michelle do a knockout job playing Marilyn Monroe was enough to give me interest in her again.

Watching Michelle do a knockout job playing Marilyn Monroe was enough to give me interest in her again.

Need to watch that movie!! And yes she is very attractive for sure! :)

It did not help for me that the 5 mins Emma Watson had in that film, she was infinitely more attractive then that films Marilyn Monroe. :woot:

Eh, they're all just pixie-ish cute white actresses in a nutshell to me. :o

Eh, they're all just pixie-ish cute white actresses in a nutshell to me. :o
ibmbincjiffpto.gif

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over all that awesome. :awesome:

Could you repeat that? :cwink:

Personally I find Watson a little to young and still girlish, and did not find her attractive as young woman in My Week with Marilyn.

This movie was overwhelmingly meh. Few good moments though. But mila kunis was laughably bad and was the worst casting choice possible.

Personally I find Watson a little to young and still girlish, and did not find her attractive as young woman in My Week with Marilyn.

It might depend on one's age. I'm 25 and I opt for Emma being hotter.

Damn, there was some heavy sexual tension in this movie.

Also, James Franco looked high as ****. Even more than he usually does.

Overall I thought it was okay. Not great, but not bad. Made me want to see Wicked even more.

It might depend on one's age. I'm 25 and I opt for Emma being hotter.

An old man I become this year at the ripe old age of 30...hooray!

I just recently watched The Wiz and Return to Oz just to go back and look at the different interpretations. While I could see what they were trying to do with The Wiz I still didn't care for it all that much. It's also no surprise to me that Return to Oz bombed at the box office in 1985, the film is just strange and not in a good way. Some of it rivaled a horror film from the tone of the film itself even to the score, I found really no enjoyment in my viewing at all.

I do understand this film is more faithful to Baum's books than the 1939 classic but the tone is just off, I wonder how Disney allowed it to be so bleak and dark, there's no real joy to it or adventure.

The books themselves aren't all sunshine and lollipops, they actually get pretty creepy.

Im aware of that through the research I've done on them but my point is that Return to Oz itself was not in the same vein of the original at all and it was a bad decision for Disney allow it to be so bleak. It didn't feel adventurous or fun or exciting, it just had this very strange depressing tone to it that I'm sure the original book did not intend.

It also wasn't even visually exciting as were many adventure/fantasy films from the 1980's, it's no surprise I never watched it as a child.

Agreed. Return to Oz might be accurate in design and story of the books but completely lacks the spirit of the books which is infinitely more important.

Personally, I don't think any Oz adaptation has completely nailed the spirit/tone of the books yet.

I don't know, the books do get pretty dark and creepy, from time to time. Return to Oz does capture that aspect of them.

Some of the CGI looked a little off too, like some of the flying bits for example
While some of the CG actually wowed me, like China Girl, there are some effects that flatout looked unfinished.
I think alot of the CGI looked very "2D"... and I think it was done on purpose - almost like they were using CGI to imitate the matte paintings and stop animation of years gone by. This is very noticeable in scenes like when Oscar first arrives at Oz, with the huge yellow flowers. Compared to something like the SW Prequels, this films characters had a "superimposed" look. Also when Oz and Evanora are walking through the Emerald City. Alot fo the shots of the Emerald City lack depth, and the design embraces simplicity.

As for the stopmotion imitation, rewatch the scarecrows walking through the mist/flying monkeys seen in the mist.

Im not a big fan of TWoO, but acknowledge its importance in American film history. I'm old enough to remember the days before home video when the film played yearly on TV and it was a event for the family to sit around and watch it.

I thought there was alot of nice moments and nods to the original film (Munchkins breaks out into song and dance and Oz saying stop and Oz gifts being highlights). Franco hammed it up a bit too much in some scenes, and in others was quite good. I enjoyed all 3 witch portrayals although I did find Theodoras turn to be a bit disappointing. It was just too abrupt, and I would have liked a bit more time to be spent on it since shes such a iconic film character.

I enjoyed the film.

Last edited:
Im aware of that through the research I've done on them but my point is that Return to Oz itself was not in the same vein of the original at all and it was a bad decision for Disney allow it to be so bleak. It didn't feel adventurous or fun or exciting, it just had this very strange depressing tone to it that I'm sure the original book did not intend.

It also wasn't even visually exciting as were many adventure/fantasy films from the 1980's, it's no surprise I never watched it as a child.

Wow! I, respectfully, have to say that it appears we didn't see the same movie! I put Return To Oz in the same league as The Neverending Story and The Dark Crystal.

So out of all the random hotness level chat in here, and with her departure from Cinderealla, I kind of now want Emma Watson to play Princess Ozma. :o

I was talking to my friend about OZ and we both hated the 'intro' scene of OZ when Franco was in that river, flowing through the marvels of his environment like the seemingly sentient flowers blooming, the bell plants, and the butterfly tree thing. It looked so fake that it never once looked beautiful. You know vs. something that's CGI and magical but convincing like in Life of Pi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"