Pedro Pascal is Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic

Leaked footage of Krasinski as Mr Reed out there. Can’t post since it’s a leak

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is - There are very few castings that could kill my interest in this movie. Krasinski as Reed is one. I have tried for years now to wrap my head around that fan-casting. I just don't get it.

thank you. Absolutely my opinion.
That would be just lazy fancast.
Lol autocorrect suggested „fantastic“ instead.
John Krasinski and Emily Blunt would be the Fancastic 4

I feel like people go to the one extreme end of the spectrum to the other, in terms of either type casting him as a "Nerd" or as the traditional "Leading Man Hero" Type

tho, there are examples of him being portrayed both ways in the comics of the years (depending on the writers an/or artists of the time) the key is to find a balance between to 2
Yeah, I don't see Reed as a stereotypical nerd. Peter Parker was a nerd. Tony Stark is an example of someone as smart as Reed, but he's the furthest thing from a nerd. Richards is somewhere in between those two extremes. Yes, he's a scientific genius who gets lost in his head, but he's the leader of the Fantastic Four. And Jack Kirby used to draw him as a pretty muscular guy (of course he drew all guys that way lol). But still.

When people say "nerd", it reminds me of the Ultimate FF, and I want them to stay as far away from that as they can.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see Reed as a stereotypical nerd. Peter Parker was a nerd. Tony Stark is an example of someone as smart as Reed, but he's the furthest thing from a nerd. Richards is somewhere in between those two extremes. Yes, he's a scientific genius who gets lost in his head, but he's the leader of the Fantastic Four. And Jack Kirby used to draw him as a pretty muscular guy (of course he drew all guys that way lol). But still.

When people say "nerd", it reminds me of the Ultimate FF, and I want them to stay as far away from that as they can.

:up:

I think the thing that makes someone a “nerd” is a certain level of excitability. “Oh! Wow! Did you see that! That is so cool!”

Reed isn’t a nerd because he isn’t emotional.

Reed should lean toward the Mr. Spock side of things, and Spock, while not fun like Stark, also isn’t a nerd because he isn’t emotional.

:up:Reed should lean toward the Mr. Spock side of things, and Spock, while not fun like Stark, also isn’t a nerd because he isn’t emotional.
Good point, although he does get emotional about Sue, and his family. And has guilt feelings about what happened with the cosmic ray accident.

There's been a trend over the years to extend the "body horror" to all the members. Like right now in the comics, the Torch is stuck with his powers on. But I'd prefer to see that sort of thing confined to the Ben Grimm character, especially for the purposes of a reboot movie.

My opinion on Krasinski as Reed didn't change. I hope the 616 MCU Reed won't be him

I am home, so now I can elaborate why I think he is our Reed: it is how he was introduced. Mordo introduced him as Reed Richards, leader of the Fantastic Four. Feels like they are teeing up the concept. Plus, outside of Patrick Stewart, we have 3 characters with MCU counterparts. Heck, make it 4 if for some reason they just canonized Inhumans of all things, lol. Seems like that universe largely had variants similar to those of our MCU, so it makes sense he would be our Reed

so my friend and i fanboyed BIG TIME when we saw Reed/John...i tell ya it was perfect...a hint of Sue...his kids...he stretched...Baxter Foundation...even the Incursions which leads to Secret Wars and the rise of God Emperor Doom....i about died several times in this movie

so my friend and i fanboyed BIG TIME when we saw Reed/John...i tell ya it was perfect...a hint of Sue...his kids...he stretched...Baxter Foundation...even the Incursions which leads to Secret Wars and the rise of God Emperor Doom....i about died several times in this movie

what do you mean incursions which leads to secret wars?
I saw the movie earlier today and I have mixed emotions.
PROS:
-John nailed the look, the cadence, the suit looked great.
-Professor X was pitch perfect.
-Anson Mount was slightly underwhelming.
-Charlize Theron is a great fit for the MCU.

CONS:
-why the heck did they use the Illuminati to showcase how strong Scarlet Witch is? She honestly is not that strong in the comics. I am sure Professor X can take her down with his psychic powers. She is supposed to be on a lower tier of psychic and such powers to Professor frickin X. The brutal way in which Scarlet Witch dispatched the Illuminati was worse than even Thanos killing Loki. I get it. We are not supposed to "care" about the multiverse versions - but that seems like the wrong tone to set for their eventual introduction in the 616-verse. Like dang it, they don't have a supernatural/magic expert to neutralize Wanda by her self? How would they fare against Dark Phoenix? It just seems a bit forced to me. Like we get it. Women are strong. But this is a bit much.

I want to close and say this movie was like a Marvel fanboy's wet dream. Except it is disappointing to have characters we have been waiting for unceremoniously killed off in overly brutal ways.

-one of my takeaways sadly, is that i genuinely hate Wanda as a character now. She does not get to be redeemed as a character in my eyes, unless she makes amends for it in a Tony Starkesque way. I would be fine if they killed her off, she kind of got on my nerves after killing the Illuminati.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first member of the Fantastic Four confirmed! I am relieved. Krasinski got a great reaction, maybe as strong as when Professor X showed up. People were making audible celebratory noises. I have a 90% feeling that this is NOT a one and done situation. You do not go through the trouble of getting Sarah Hailey Finn to cast someone of that grandeur for the FIRST time in the official MCU canon only to do a bait and switch. You will PISS off people like me who are already PISSED OFF seeing him get killed.

Please Marvel, dont try that BS. It is enough you killed the dude, dont outright replace him with someone else. It makes zero logic. Unless you are DC and trying to shoot yourselves in the foot.

Most likely John like many actors currently are struggling to find projects and stay active in showbiz. Covid took a toll on their livelihoods too. So he most likely signed a multi picture deal (let's say 4 movies/appearances in the MCU.)

Last edited:
From Reddit
JustAsHotAsJan
·17 hr. ago

I can't imagine it not being him.

"Hey John, we think you're amazing but we're thinking of someone else to play the role of Reed Richards but we really want you so let's have you appear for less than five minutes then die. There might be some other major superheroes you could potentially play but let's just do this one big stunt which will really piss off a lot of people when we introduce another Reed. By the way, you're wife's great. You think you could get her to play Sue?"

It already sounds stupid.

what do you mean incursions which leads to secret wars?
I saw the movie earlier today and I have mixed emotions.
PROS:
-John nailed the look, the cadence, the suit looked great.
-Professor X was pitch perfect.
-Anson Mount was slightly underwhelming.
-Charlize Theron is a great fit for the MCU.

CONS:
-why the heck did they use the Illuminati to showcase how strong Scarlet Witch is? She honestly is not that strong in the comics. I am sure Professor X can take her down with his psychic powers. She is supposed to be on a lower tier of psychic and such powers to Professor frickin X. The brutal way in which Scarlet Witch dispatched the Illuminati was worse than even Thanos killing Loki. I get it. We are not supposed to "care" about the multiverse versions - but that seems like the wrong tone to set for their eventual introduction in the 616-verse. Like dang it, they don't have a supernatural/magic expert to neutralize Wanda by her self? How would they fare against Dark Phoenix? It just seems a bit forced to me. Like we get it. Women are strong. But this is a bit much.

I want to close and say this movie was like a Marvel fanboy's wet dream. Except it is disappointing to have characters we have been waiting for unceremoniously killed off in overly brutal ways.

-one of my takeaways sadly, is that i genuinely hate Wanda as a character now. She does not get to be redeemed as a character in my eyes, unless she makes amends for it in a Tony Starkesque way. I would be fine if they killed her off, she kind of got on my nerves after killing the Illuminati.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first member of the Fantastic Four confirmed! I am relieved. Krasinski got a great reaction, maybe as strong as when Professor X showed up. People were making audible celebratory noises. I have a 90% feeling that this is NOT a one and done situation. You do not go through the trouble of getting Sarah Hailey Finn to cast someone of that grandeur for the FIRST time in the official MCU canon only to do a bait and switch. You will PISS off people like me who are already PISSED OFF seeing him get killed.

Please Marvel, dont try that BS. It is enough you killed the dude, dont outright replace him with someone else. It makes zero logic. Unless you are DC and trying to shoot yourselves in the foot.

Most likely John like many actors currently are struggling to find projects and stay active in showbiz. Covid took a toll on their livelihoods too. So he most likely signed a multi picture deal (let's say 4 movies/appearances in the MCU.)
StarkBauer, Incursions were introduced back during Hickman's great run on F4/Avengers...they are the systematic destruction of a universe...as we find out, the Illuminati knows universes are being destroyed but dont know why...however long story short, we find out its a race of alien beings called the Beyonders (the original Beyonder caused the 1980s Secret Wars)...they are destroying the Molecule Man of each universe and its causing a massive chain reaction...only the 616 and 610 realities (610 is Miles Morales world aka the Ultimate comics) remain...anyway being the badass he is, Doom figured this all out and with Dr. Strange and 616's Molecule man, they confront the Beyonders and Doom says they will fall before him, etc...next thing you know a bright white light and behold the creation of Battleworld...pieces of the last two universe in the multiverse...Dr. strange is now Sheriff Strange the enforcer of God's laws...oh and who is God? None other than Doom now deemed God Emperor Doom...welcome to Secret Wars 2015

Last edited:
StarkBauer also about your other query..

wanda is a class 5 Omega level mutant...oh yeah she is that badass...her reality warping powers gave us D-Day...the decimation of the mutant population reduced to under 200...read House of M, Avengers Childrens Crusade to get an idea....

:ff:

I liked John K. as Reed.

(Aside from the weak writing.)

I've never felt strongly about his fancasting one way or another but if this was his audition, I thought he did very well.

He's gotta be the MCU Reed, right? It would be so strange if they end up casting someone else in the upcoming movie. :funny:

My theater experience exploded with cheer and immense applause at John as Reed. Man he nailed the look and the suit looked Fantastic. I can’t wait to see his full feature debut in the main MCU timeline as Reed Richards with Emily as Sue.

I like Krasinski as Mr. Fantastic, but I'm not at all sure he will play him in the full MCU version.

Some don't like him, but with the beard I think he looks just like him.

I'll be curious to see if and when we get an interview with Feige about Krasinski.I want confirmation either way if he will be the 616 MCU Reed, etc, etc

D23 is in September of this year

That’s probably actually better. With no director, it would seem unlikely we’d get a big presentation in a couple months. But September is realistic for some FF info.

Might as well keep him. Krasinski is great, and having him show up as a gimmicky nod to a popular internet fancast is such a waste of the guy's talent (though it seems like exactly the kind of thing Marvel would do). Especially when he was a finalist for Captain America and seemed genuinely bummed when he didn't land it.

One problem I see with Krasinski is if he's playing an older version of Reed Richards in the Dr. Strange movie - one that has had two kids and is in the Illuminati. This wouldn't be a problem for me, but Marvel might want to start with someone younger if they are starting out before Reed and Sue get married. Of course they might go with the idea that they have been trapped in the Quantum Zone, so who knows?

One problem I see with Krasinski is if he's playing an older version of Reed Richards in the Dr. Strange movie - one that has had two kids and is in the Illuminati. This wouldn't be a problem for me, but Marvel might want to start with someone younger if they are starting out before Reed and Sue get married. Of course they might go with the idea that they have been trapped in the Quantum Zone, so who knows?

I would definitely prefer someone younger - particularly since they haven’t even started filming yet - but he can play younger.

But if they do as many movies as I hope they will, he’ll be getting up there by film 4 or 5.

What a GLORIOUS time we are living in.

John Krasinski is the fourth live action Reed Richards and most probably our main 616/MCU Reed. I'm still in awe of my experience yesterday at my local IMAX seeing him with that 4 on his chest talking about incursions (!!!) and being pretty much PERFECT as Reed. I have no issue with 838 Reed dying. 616 Reed is coming soon & I'd be shocked if it isn't John.

Much like with No Way Home, Feige is literally listening to the fandom now. This is a dream come true. The crowd at my theater cheered and broke into applause the same way they did for Andrew & Tobey in NWH. That's a testament to how much the fandom wanted this casting. I couldn't believe the crowd would go so crazy for --------. Bravo to Kevin Feige and the people at Marvel Studios for doing the best thing they could have done for this new FF franchise which I think we can safely say now will be the definitive live action Fantastic Four.

I expect an official announcement next week for both the aforementioned casting and for who will be directing
which may end up being both the same!

Good times to be a fan!!!

that's a fair point this was a very well established Reed's whose F4 were already a long standing known team in that universe (granted different universes can have different timelines I guess, that world did have a sightly more futuristic feel to it, so maybe they were in a more accelerated timeline then ours...) but that does still leave the question of Krasinski's age, could he play slightly younger? {if they go for a origin story} sure (perhaps they'll lose the beard, for his first MCU appearance to differentiate) tho personal I thought the beard worked for well for his Reed look

this is why I never liked the idea of using this to introduce the character (in any type official capacity) per-establishing a set look/feel/actor in the role limits the creative of his official movie role (now, I don't personal know how far they've come along with the production of that movie, casting wise/ story wise, it's not encouraging that they've recently lost the director and now this new director is going to be coming into a per-set cast or tone for the film, and not have as much freedom of control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"