Penny Dreadful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/sho...from-‘skyfall’-duo-john-logan-and-sam-mendes/
Showtime Lands High-Concept Drama From ‘Skyfall’ Duo John Logan And Sam Mendes
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: On the heels of their movie Skyfall smashing worldwide box office records as the highest-grossing James Bond pic of all time and landing the franchise’s first Oscar nominations in 30 years, the film’s co-writer John Logan and director Sam Mendes are headed to Showtime. I’ve learned that the pay cable network, flying high on the critical success of original drama Homeland, has landed the duo’s high-concept drama project, which Logan and Mendes took out to premium cable networks in November as a spec written by Logan. Deals are still being finalized but I hear that the project is eyeing a straight-to-series order at Showtime, with Logan and Mendes executive producing and Mendes expected to direct. The untitled drama, which has undergone some tweaking from the original spec to tailor it to the Showtime audiences, is described as a psychological horror drama series with literary underpinnings, including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, set in the 1800s. This would mark both Logan and Mendes’ series debut. They are executive producing the show with Pippa Harris, Mendes’ partner at Neal Street Prods.

A couple of weeks ago, Skyfall became the first movie in the 50-year history of the James Bond franchise to cross the $1 billion worldwide box office mark. Tipped as a potential best picture contender, the movie missed out on the top category but landed five Oscar nominations yesterday, including best song for Adele’s Skyfall. Logan is far from done with Bond – he already has been tapped to write the next two installments, Bond 24 and 25. Meanwhile, Mendes was the first Oscar winner to direct a Bond pic with Skyfall.

Mendes and Logan share a stage background. Mendes was a top theater director and Logan an accomplished playwright before they segued to feature directing/writing. Logan has been nominated for three Oscars for co-writing Gladiator, and scripting Hugo and The Aviator. His work also includes Rango, Coriolanus, Sweeney Todd, The Last Samurai and Any Given Sunday, and he won the Tony, Drama Desk and Outer Critic Circle awards for his play Red. Mendes won an Oscar for his feature directorial debut, American Beauty. His directing credits also include Revolutionary Road and Away We Go. Both are repped by CAA.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/its...or-drama-from-skyfalls-john-logan-sam-mendes/
It’s Official: Showtime Lands Horror Drama From ‘Skyfall’s John Logan & Sam Mendes
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

At TCA today, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins confirmed our story that the network has made a deal for a drama series from Skyfall‘s co-writer John Logan and director Sam Mendes. The psychosexual horror project, titled Penny Dreadful, has received a series commitment, with production eyed to begin in London in the second half of 2013. The show will feature some of horror literature’s most famous characters – including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and Dracula – as they become embroiled in Victorian London. During TCA’s executive session, Nevins said that the tone of the ensemble series will be “very realistic and very grounded, not Bela Lugosi. All exist in human form in turn-of-century London.” He noted that Logan, who “has been obsessed with monsters in literature since childhood” and wrote the project on spec, will write every episode of the series, adding that “our hope and intention is that Sam Mendes will direct it.” Logan and Mendes are executive producing with Pippa Harris. Here is the official release:
LOS ANGELES, CA (January 12, 2013) – Some of literature’s most iconic figures will step into the light on SHOWTIME in PENNY DREADFUL, a psychosexual horror series created, written and executive produced by three-time Oscar® nominee John Logan (Hugo, The Aviator, Gladiator) and executive produced by Oscar winner Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) and Neal Street’s Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road, Call The Midwife), it was announced today by David Nevins, President of Entertainment, Showtime Networks. PENNY DREADFUL will begin production in London in the second half of 2013.

In PENNY DREADFUL, some of literature’s most famously terrifying characters – including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and iconic figures from the novel Dracula – become embroiled in Victorian London. The series weaves together these classic horror origin stories as the characters grapple with their monstrous alienation. This project marks Logan and Mendes’ second major collaboration, following Skyfall, their recent critically-acclaimed and box office record-breaking James Bond film, which Mendes directed and Logan co-wrote; and their first ever collaboration for television. The project will be produced by Mendes’ production company Neal Street Productions.

“John Logan and Sam Mendes are two of the great storytellers of our time,” said Nevins. ”The visual spectacle combined with the psychological insight in their reimagining of these iconic literary characters seems totally mesmerizing to me. This promises to be a wholly original television show.”
Weird title. But otherwise... :up: I'm intrigued.

Also, if a mod could change the title to Showtime's "Penny Dreadful" from Sam Mendes/John Logan, that would be wonderful. :up:

Love the idea of combining the literary origins of Dracula and Frankenstein. I haven't read Dorian Gray but from what I've seen he'll fit in well. I'm very interested! I'll have to read Dorian Gray and reread Frankie and Dracs.

I love the sound of this. Frankenstein is probably my favorite novel ever, and The Picture of Dorian Gray was fantastic as well. I think I just have a soft spot for this era in literature, so this show could be heaven for me. :up:

Also, a "penny dreadful" was another name for the pulp horror serials during that time (named so because they cost a penny and were considered to be quite lurid and, ya know, dreadful), so I actually kind of love that title.

Last edited:
Also, a "penny dreadful" was another name for the pulp horror serials during that time (named so because they cost a penny and were considered to be quite lurid and, ya know, dreadful), so I actually kind of love that title.

I figured it was something like that. In terms of the history behind it, that's cool, but I have to wonder how much interest modern audiences would have in a show titled "Penny Dreadful".

A valid concern, for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if the title got changed between now and then, but I quite like it nonetheless.

I already love this show.

Yet I don't have Showtime.

I figured it was something like that. In terms of the history behind it, that's cool, but I have to wonder how much interest modern audiences would have in a show titled "Penny Dreadful".

Yeah I can see that. However once trailers start coming out with Frankenstein and Dracula in them, people will be very interested.

If you think about it, it's the perfect show to release right now. What's the biggest attraction on cable television today: the undead. True Blood provides the vampires and The Walking Dead gives you your zombies. What better way to compete with those two shows than to have a show that features the ORIGINAL undead superstars: Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula?

What also has me excited is that they will apparently stick to the literary origins of these two. Frankenstein especially has been ruined by film attempts (aside from Branagh's version) that differ significantly from the source material. Throw in a little Dorian Gray and you have some, hopefully, highbrow horror. Oh and the team behind it is great too!

Intriguing. Could be really good or really bad. Either way, it will be better than the Dracula show on NBC. That is a given.

Any other famous Victoria Era figures you guys think will appear? I think Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are a given and Jack the Ripper would also be a fun addition.

Definitely getting crowded in the supernatural/monster genre with more in development.

The CW
Supernatural
The Vampire Diaries
NBC
Grimm
Dracula (fall 2013)
HBO
True Blood
MTV
Teen Wolf
Syfy
Being Human
AMC
The Walking Dead
Netflix
Hemlock Grove
FX
The Strain (2014)
Showtime
Penny Dreadful (2014)

Starz
Vlad Dracula (potentially 2014)
The CW
The Originals (potentially 2013-14)
Sleepy Hollow (potentially 2013-14)
Fox
Midnighters (potentially 2013-14)
TNT
Frankenstein (potentially 2014)

Intriguing. Could be really good or really bad. Either way, it will be better than the Dracula show on NBC. That is a given.

You have no way of knowing that.

Considering who's involved with this, the mix of classic literary characters, and the fact that it's on Showtime...I'd say it's a safe bet that it will be better.

Edit:
New Article with some interesting new facts:
http://www.craveonline.com/tv/artic...id-nevins-on-dexter-penny-dreadful-a-homeland

On who will be appearing:
“‘Penny Dreadful” unites literature’s most iconic and terrifying figures in turn of the century Victorian London,” said Nevins. “Dracula and Van Helsing, Dorian Gray, Dr. Frankenstein and his creature and maybe even Jack the Ripper, for good measure. [Logan]’s going to write every episode of the series really with the preeminent screenwriters, and he has been obsessed with monsters in literature, I think, since childhood. It’s a show that he’s always wanted to do, and I’ve been sort of wooing him to Showtime for a very long time."

On how it's different from League of Extraordinary Gentleman and NBC's Dracula:
"Nevins remained on stage after the panel for further questions, and addressed comparisons between “Penny Dreadful” and The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, the graphic novel series (with a movie adaptation) about literary’s greatest characters teaming up.

“It’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. I understand that in logline it sounds like that, but these are real flesh and blood characters who are all at a certain strata of society in that period. They’re definitely not fighting crime, and they’re definitely not united in what they’re doing.”

“Penny Dreadful” will likely shoot in London, related Nevins. With NBC gearing up their own “Dracula” series for the fall, he’s not worried about any comparisons. “It’s an aspect, a character in this," explained Nevins. "It is not the main thrust and it’s this character in a very different world. I don’t know. I haven’t read their script. I know what ours is going to be. I can’t really speak to exactly what they’re attempting. This is so wholly original in its conception of the world and its conception of these characters, there’s no possibility that anybody’s going to be doing anything like it. John Logan is one of the great storytellers in Hollywood.

So confirmed:
Dracula
Abraham Van Helsing
Victor Frankenstein
Frankenstein's Monster
Dorian Gray
Jack the Ripper

I'd also be shocked if Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde don't make an appearance. Sounds awesome!

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's just the dismissiveness that annoys me. Why can't both be good? Oh, wait, no... we're internet nerds. You know what that means! One needs to be the best thing ever, and the other has to be ****. :o

Definitely getting crowded in the supernatural/monster genre with more in development.

The CW
Supernatural
The Vampire Diaries
NBC
Grimm
Dracula (fall 2013)
HBO
True Blood
MTV
Teen Wolf
Syfy
Being Human
AMC
The Walking Dead
Netflix
Hemlock Grove
FX
The Strain (2014)
Showtime
Penny Dreadful (2014)

Starz
Vlad Dracula (potentially 2014)
The CW
The Originals (potentially 2013-14)
Fox
Midnighters (potentially 2013-14)
TNT
Frankenstein (potentially 2014)
Only a handful of those are actually good or even decent. Hopefully, considering its pedigree, this will be excellent.

Actually alot of those shows that are on are pretty good.

A major network "adapting" Stoker's book into a TV series of 24-episode seasons that is actually based on the Coppola Dracula movie, except with the primetime, FCC censors that prevent them to reach the feverish eroticism FFC did in that otherwise unevenly toned film? But hey, they'll try to make up for it by making Dracula an anti-hero instead of a villain? Yeah, it sounds like a winner.

A major network "adapting" Stoker's book into a TV series of 24-episode seasons that is actually based on the Coppola Dracula movie, except with the primetime, FCC censors that prevent them to reach the feverish eroticism FFC did in that otherwise unevenly toned film? But hey, they'll try to make up for it by making Dracula an anti-hero instead of a villain? Yeah, it sounds like a winner.

I think your skepticism is pretty well founded here. I fail to see how NBC can pull off what even Coppola, ultimately couldn't. Coppola came SO close to making a perfect Dracula film but the romantic subplot was just so unnecessary. However it was rather good overall, like Branagh's Frankenstein too (fanboy venom be damned).

Besides wouldn't you rather watch a show with characters from Dracula, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Grey, and the Jack the Ripper slayings COMBINED over a show just about Dracula?

Hell yes.

Oh God. Just give me this show now.

I was hoping ABC would pick up the similar-sounding Gothica pilot to at least whet my appetite for this series, but since they haven't, Mendes/Logan/Showtime really need to get their asses in gear. :argh:

I need monsters. :o

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/jua...-logan-sam-mendes-penny-dreadful-at-showtime/
Juan Antonio Bayona To Direct John Logan- Sam Mendes’ ‘Penny Dreadful’ At Showtime
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Showtime has officially announced that Spanish director Juan Antonio Bayona (The Impossible, The Orphanage) will helm the first two episodes of the upcoming eight-episode drama series Penny Dreadful, created, written and executive produced by John Logan and executive produced by Sam Mendes and Neal Street’s Pippa Harris. The psychosexual horror series features some of literature’s most iconic figures — including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and characters from the novel Dracula — become embroiled in Victorian London, and will begin production in London this fall.
Aw, I thought Mendes would at least direct the first episode. Though, I suppose getting the guy behind The Orphanage is pretty good news, so...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/jos...dful-ruth-wilson-to-star-in-pilot-the-affair/
Josh Hartnett and Eva Green have been tapped for Showtime’s upcoming eight-episode series Penny Dreadful, created, written and executive produced by John Logan and executive produced by Sam Mendes . The psychosexual horror series features some of literature’s most iconic figures as then become embroiled in Victorian London, and will begin production in London this fall.. Green will play the heroine, the beautiful Vanessa Ives. Hartnett will play handsome “fake cowboy” American Ethan Chandler.
:awesome:

Those character names sound fake as ****. I wonder who they REALLY are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"