Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Sawyer, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sawyer High King

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/sho...from-‘skyfall’-duo-john-logan-and-sam-mendes/

2. Sawyer High King

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/its...or-drama-from-skyfalls-john-logan-sam-mendes/
    Weird title. But otherwise... :up: I'm intrigued.

3. Sawyer High King

Also, if a mod could change the title to Showtime's "Penny Dreadful" from Sam Mendes/John Logan, that would be wonderful. :up:

4. Aztec Registered

Love the idea of combining the literary origins of Dracula and Frankenstein. I haven't read Dorian Gray but from what I've seen he'll fit in well. I'm very interested! I'll have to read Dorian Gray and reread Frankie and Dracs.

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I love the sound of this. Frankenstein is probably my favorite novel ever, and The Picture of Dorian Gray was fantastic as well. I think I just have a soft spot for this era in literature, so this show could be heaven for me. :up:

Also, a "penny dreadful" was another name for the pulp horror serials during that time (named so because they cost a penny and were considered to be quite lurid and, ya know, dreadful), so I actually kind of love that title.

#5 flickchick85, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Sawyer High King

I figured it was something like that. In terms of the history behind it, that's cool, but I have to wonder how much interest modern audiences would have in a show titled "Penny Dreadful".

7. flickchick85 Admin of Might

A valid concern, for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if the title got changed between now and then, but I quite like it nonetheless.

8. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I already love this show.

Yet I don't have Showtime.

9. Aztec Registered

Yeah I can see that. However once trailers start coming out with Frankenstein and Dracula in them, people will be very interested.

If you think about it, it's the perfect show to release right now. What's the biggest attraction on cable television today: the undead. True Blood provides the vampires and The Walking Dead gives you your zombies. What better way to compete with those two shows than to have a show that features the ORIGINAL undead superstars: Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula?

What also has me excited is that they will apparently stick to the literary origins of these two. Frankenstein especially has been ruined by film attempts (aside from Branagh's version) that differ significantly from the source material. Throw in a little Dorian Gray and you have some, hopefully, highbrow horror. Oh and the team behind it is great too!

10. DACrowe Registered

Intriguing. Could be really good or really bad. Either way, it will be better than the Dracula show on NBC. That is a given.

11. Aztec Registered

Any other famous Victoria Era figures you guys think will appear? I think Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are a given and Jack the Ripper would also be a fun addition.

12. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Definitely getting crowded in the supernatural/monster genre with more in development.

The CW
    Supernatural
    The Vampire Diaries
    NBC
    Grimm
    Dracula (fall 2013)
    HBO
    True Blood
    MTV
    Teen Wolf
    Syfy
    Being Human
    AMC
    The Walking Dead
    Netflix
    Hemlock Grove
    FX
    The Strain (2014)
    Showtime
    Penny Dreadful (2014)

Starz
    Vlad Dracula (potentially 2014)
    The CW
    The Originals (potentially 2013-14)
    Sleepy Hollow (potentially 2013-14)
    Fox
    Sleepy Hollow (potentially 2013-14)
    Midnighters (potentially 2013-14)
    TNT
    Frankenstein (potentially 2014)

13. Sawyer High King

You have no way of knowing that.

14. Aztec Registered

Considering who's involved with this, the mix of classic literary characters, and the fact that it's on Showtime...I'd say it's a safe bet that it will be better.

Edit:
    New Article with some interesting new facts:
    http://www.craveonline.com/tv/artic...id-nevins-on-dexter-penny-dreadful-a-homeland

On who will be appearing:
    “‘Penny Dreadful” unites literature’s most iconic and terrifying figures in turn of the century Victorian London,” said Nevins. “Dracula and Van Helsing, Dorian Gray, Dr. Frankenstein and his creature and maybe even Jack the Ripper, for good measure. [Logan]’s going to write every episode of the series really with the preeminent screenwriters, and he has been obsessed with monsters in literature, I think, since childhood. It’s a show that he’s always wanted to do, and I’ve been sort of wooing him to Showtime for a very long time."

On how it's different from League of Extraordinary Gentleman and NBC's Dracula:
    "Nevins remained on stage after the panel for further questions, and addressed comparisons between “Penny Dreadful” and The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, the graphic novel series (with a movie adaptation) about literary’s greatest characters teaming up.

“It’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. I understand that in logline it sounds like that, but these are real flesh and blood characters who are all at a certain strata of society in that period. They’re definitely not fighting crime, and they’re definitely not united in what they’re doing.”

“Penny Dreadful” will likely shoot in London, related Nevins. With NBC gearing up their own “Dracula” series for the fall, he’s not worried about any comparisons. “It’s an aspect, a character in this," explained Nevins. "It is not the main thrust and it’s this character in a very different world. I don’t know. I haven’t read their script. I know what ours is going to be. I can’t really speak to exactly what they’re attempting. This is so wholly original in its conception of the world and its conception of these characters, there’s no possibility that anybody’s going to be doing anything like it. John Logan is one of the great storytellers in Hollywood.

So confirmed:
    Dracula
    Abraham Van Helsing
    Victor Frankenstein
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Dorian Gray
    Jack the Ripper

I'd also be shocked if Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde don't make an appearance. Sounds awesome!

#14 Aztec, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. Sawyer High King

Yeah, but it's just the dismissiveness that annoys me. Why can't both be good? Oh, wait, no... we're internet nerds. You know what that means! One needs to be the best thing ever, and the other has to be ****. :o

16. Mr. Dent Registered

Only a handful of those are actually good or even decent. Hopefully, considering its pedigree, this will be excellent.

17. Sawyer High King

Actually alot of those shows that are on are pretty good.

18. DACrowe Registered

A major network "adapting" Stoker's book into a TV series of 24-episode seasons that is actually based on the Coppola Dracula movie, except with the primetime, FCC censors that prevent them to reach the feverish eroticism FFC did in that otherwise unevenly toned film? But hey, they'll try to make up for it by making Dracula an anti-hero instead of a villain? Yeah, it sounds like a winner.

19. Aztec Registered

I think your skepticism is pretty well founded here. I fail to see how NBC can pull off what even Coppola, ultimately couldn't. Coppola came SO close to making a perfect Dracula film but the romantic subplot was just so unnecessary. However it was rather good overall, like Branagh's Frankenstein too (fanboy venom be damned).

Besides wouldn't you rather watch a show with characters from Dracula, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Grey, and the Jack the Ripper slayings COMBINED over a show just about Dracula?

20. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Hell yes.

Oh God. Just give me this show now.

21. Sawyer High King

I was hoping ABC would pick up the similar-sounding Gothica pilot to at least whet my appetite for this series, but since they haven't, Mendes/Logan/Showtime really need to get their asses in gear. :argh:

I need monsters. :o

22. Sawyer High King

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/jua...-logan-sam-mendes-penny-dreadful-at-showtime/
    Aw, I thought Mendes would at least direct the first episode. Though, I suppose getting the guy behind The Orphanage is pretty good news, so...

23. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

Psychosexual eh? I can dig it.

24. Sawyer High King

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/jos...dful-ruth-wilson-to-star-in-pilot-the-affair/
    :awesome:

Those character names sound fake as ****. I wonder who they REALLY are...

25. Hunter Rider Ronin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.