Iron Man 3 Pepper Potts as Rescue

The thing to remember (as I said before) is that she won't be flying around on missions.She'll just be wearing it to protect herself.I don't see it as being ridiculous,and I don't see her suddenly becoming a superhero.

Either way,I'll bet bet once she's in the armor and actually onscreen, people will change their tune. :cwink:

The thing to remember (as I said before) is that she won't be flying around on missions.She'll just be wearing it to protect herself.I don't see it as being ridiculous,and I don't see her suddenly becoming a superhero.

Why not? That's *exactly* what she becomes in the comics with the Rescue armor. Pepper is now a cyborg superheroine, with electromagnetic superpowers and super-strength, she's part of the Fifty States Initiative, she flies around on superhero missions, and she even has Tony's damn arc reactor in her chest, complete with shrapnel surrounding her heart.

She's "Iron Woman," for all intents and practical purposes, and that's a very *****e-y thing to do --- something you'd see in Silver Age DC Comics, where they just tacked "Woman/Girl" or "Boy/Kid" onto an existing popular superhero to create a "new" character instead of taking the time to build a brand new superhero/ine from the ground up.

What kills me about this is that people are gonna cry doom until the movie comes out. That's when people will be praising the choice of adding Rescue.

It kind of remind me of another message board where people where crying doom about Thor having to spin his hammer to fly. People where saying it would look corny and ruin the movie.The movie came out and it look fine. Everyone got over it.

What kills me about this is that people are gonna cry doom until the movie comes out. That's when people will be praising the choice of adding Rescue.

It kind of remind me of another message board where people where crying doom about Thor having to spin his hammer to fly. People where saying it would look corny and ruin the movie.The movie came out and it look fine. Everyone got over it.

Your statement is just wishful thinking because neither of us know how it will play out or how it will be recieved, if it happens at all.

Your Thor's hammer comparison is hardly apt either. Worrying about how a signature move might look onscreen and the needless addition of yet another armoured superhero and the changing of the character's role are worlds apart.

Your statement is just wishful thinking because neither of us know how it will play out or how it will be recieved, if it happens at all.

Your Thor's hammer comparison is hardly apt either. Worrying about how a signature move might look onscreen and the needless addition of yet another armoured superhero and the changing of the character's role are worlds apart.

Yeah, cosmetic costume differences don't hurt a franchise; jumping the shark with a lame-ass plot point or major deviation from a character's persona does.

No, he would just give her armor, she would use in case of immediate danger. You know instead of screaming, yelling and running in circles like in IM and IM2.

Point N1: IM armor is not, and has never been, designed for defensive use. Stark invented MK1 in order to escape from captivity and destroy his weapons, MK2 for joyriding, MK3-7 to actively fight against attackers. A heavy, bulky metal suit is, by design, freaking useless for defense, specially for a socialite business(wo)man whose main threats in real life are probably paparazzi. And for bigger threats: can you just imagine some terrorist appearing with bombs, Pepper suiting up and flying away, the rest of her entourage getting the finger? Just no.

Point N2: Pepper is not, and has never been, a damsel in distress. She has come under fire in the previous movies because she 1) singlehandedly gathered proof of Stane´s machinations and cleverly went to the authorities and 2) personally supervised the evacuation of her company´s Fair. All of the above required more balls than most men probably come equiped with.

I'm sorry...but what have people got against Pepper as Rescue?

Maaaybe if she puts on the armor once for a minute or two, for a really good reason, I could forgive it. But as far as her making some sort of career out of being a superheroine? The movie would lose me completely.

Making Potts Rescue is part of the canon, wheather some like it or not. I think it would make logical sense from perspective of what we see in the trailer. Obviously Tony is obsessed that he can't protect Pepper, and after what happened in New York he was thinking that he almost lost her.

Building her, her own suit makes sense from a perspective on how he can constantly potect her. From the trailer we can see, she was kidnapped or something, and so maybe the suit is build to "rescue" her.

Honestly it's not a big deal.

I really don't want to see Gwyneth Paltrow acting all Gwyneth Paltrow-y in a suit.

Yeah me either I would just prefer it that she uses a suit to escape and THAT'S IT!

If she's going to be Rescue, I want her to be a superhero. Not a damsel in distress.

Honestly... armor flying onto her is a frakking brilliant way to save someone who is captured. I'd enjoy seeing that kind of "Rescue." Pepper as Iron Woman, not so much.

Seriously, just saying, if I were Tony Stark, what with the public superhero identity and billions of dollars, I would most definitely create a suit for my loved ones- wife children, parents, dog, hamster, whatever.
It's not like he's limited on resources to build them if he's on mark 47 or whatever

Pepper should have either extremis or the avengers-style bracelet activated suits

and hell, i'd say it should be on auto-pilot to fly her to a safe house

The suit could be "Rescue", as opposed to Pepper, per se

Seriously, just saying, if I were Tony Stark, what with the public superhero identity and billions of dollars, I would most definitely create a suit for my loved ones- wife children, parents, dog, hamster, whatever.
It's not like he's limited on resources to build them if he's on mark 47 or whatever

Pepper should have either extremis or the avengers-style bracelet activated suits

and hell, i'd say it should be on auto-pilot to fly her to a safe house

The suit could be "Rescue", as opposed to Pepper, per se

It's not a question of "can he" (Stark definitely has the resources), but "would he?"

Stark built the IM suit for a very specific reason, and it's his identity. He's not in the business of mass-producing them, and his entire motivation in the movies *and* comics has been to try to keep this tech out of everybody else's hands. If he starts producing suits for his girlfriend, dog, hamster, whatever, then the question becomes in the public's mind: "Why not me?" In the government/military's mind: "Why not me?" In the rest of the world's mind: "Why not me?" They'd want Stark to assembly-line the suits and hand 'em out like free bacon at Hickory Farms down at the local shopping mall.

Bottom line is that the Iron Man suit is Tony's identity, his persona. You don't give that away, not even to the people closest to you. That's why he fights so vehemently against War Machine for literally stealing his identity.

then the question becomes in the public's mind: "Why not me?" In the government/military's mind: "Why not me?" In the rest of the world's mind: "Why not me?" They'd want Stark to assembly-line the suits and hand 'em out like free bacon at Hickory Farms down at the local shopping mall.

:doh::doh::doh:

Why not you? Because you're not part of Tony Stark's family.

Absolutely ridiculous argument you have made there.

It's not completely ridiculous. Everyone is ALREADY "why not me" in IM2, and would only be moreso if he produces 47 suits in IM3. The idea that Tony isn't giving out armor like candy is true, however, he clearly doesn't fight vehemently against War Machine or else that IM2 rooftop ending scene would have been quite different. If there was anyone else IM would be okay having armor (especially if it were under his remote control) it would be Pepper.

*armor

Armor up Happy Hogan? Seriously? She's not one of his bodyguards, she is his wife. How is her being in physical danger a bad excuse for her getting into armor? It makes so much sense to me that I can't believe you don't get it.

The whole point of Rescue is that she is not armed with any weapns, the suit is designed to protect her. She has saved (rescued) him twice already, almost dying in the process, a protective suit is extremely logical. It's not like the suit is designed to go into battle with Tony, it's designed to protect her and get her away from danger, that's the direction I think they will go.

He obviously builds a lot of suits, there have been what 7 different variations on screen alone, let alone the prototypes we don't see. Are you telling me that it is not reasonable that while making all these suits, he would make one for the woman he loves?

You just echo my thought on this. Having a suit for Pepper won't be repetitive, but actually refreshing and the audience will be fired up as well.

You just echo my thought on this. Having a suit for Pepper won't be repetitive, but actually refreshing and the audience will be fired up as well.

How will Rescue not be "repetitive?" War Machine/Iron Patriot has armor; Firepower has armor; Coldblood may well have armor; the Chinese are rumored to have a whole national team of armors; hell, Mandarin might have armor; Tony will have no less than *forty-seven* armors.....again: how will Rescue armor not be repetitive and redundant? ****, let's give EVERYBODY in this movie armor, even Happy frickin' Hogan. :whatever:

How will Rescue not be "repetitive?" War Machine/Iron Patriot has armor; Firepower has armor; Coldblood may well have armor; the Chinese are rumored to have a whole national team of armors; hell, Mandarin might have armor; Tony will have no less than *forty-seven* armors.....again: how will Rescue armor not be repetitive and redundant? ****, let's give EVERYBODY in this movie armor, even Happy frickin' Hogan. :whatever:

It will not be repetitive, in the movie-going public eyes, because the love interest in a Superhero movie has never been given superpowers by the hero before. I can count exceptions easier than the normals: Jean Grey, Elektra, Catwoman, and those characters all met their respective love interest heroes AFTER getting superpowers, not before. This will be the first time a love interest has been upgraded from non-combatant to super-powered combatant in the third installment. So, new.

And your argument that it will be repetitive because so many people have armor would apply to the X-Men franchise as well, but that has not gotten redundant by too many characters having mutant powers.

Pretty sure 'too many mutants' has been a big complaint with the lesser X-men movies. Adding another armoured hero is repetitive no matter how you cut it. I really don't picture the audience being wowed by the love interest getting her own armour.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. I think it could go either way, depending on how they do it (kind of like the Juggernaut. Could have been way better, was handled poorly IMO). I'm just crossing my fingers I guess.

EDIT: Now I got myself thinking about X3... So many regrettable decisions in that movie... I shouldn't have brought it up. *Drinks away sorrow*

Last edited:
I think done well, Pepper as Rescue will be great :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"