• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Transformers Peter Cullen spills the beans on Prime in Empire interview...

It works in T2 only because it's the GENIUS James Cameron barely making Arnold's colloquial lines work through the father/son motif in the film. IT DID NOT WORK when Mostow, the non-genius had Arnold doing "talk to the hand" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-QqC9yM28.

so think about it and this argument is very flawed.

Bay is NO James Cameron so don't expect it to work on that man's level.

*that picture makes me cry, Dorky*

that is so true!, even the bit where he puts on those glasses, it just didn't flow and was extremely uncomfortable to watch.
i don't blame Arnie, he was just reading the script and doing his job, i blame those sonova***** writers who thought they were being witty and funny.
same goes for cullen, i bet there were plenty of times in his career that he thought to himself ''what the hell is this crap?, i cant believe i am going to say this ****'', mean while the director or whoever is in charge is standing over him shaking his fist saying ''reeeaaad itt!!!!''
we could be wrong, it could work and it will have us all say ''hey!, prime is the man haha'', or it could have us sinking in our seats with embarrassment like t3 did.
i guess we will have to wait till the movie comes out, then we can hold a shotgun to bays balls.

Now, here is how I think of it. Would you say that his first actual human interaction is with a teenage boy and a teenage girl, high schoolers?

I would assume that he would simulate the spoken dialect by this age group, so I am not surprised that he would speak that way.

I am sure it won't be anything ridiculous. If I hear him say:

"Fo realz, Bizzy-bee. He be straight trippin, un huh."

I would be pissed.

I read the article that was posted from the clips shown at some cons. The "My bad" comment was funny in the context of what was happening. I do not want to post any spoilers for those who have not read it, but it seemed just fine the way it was described.

the thing I understand about "My bad" is that it's mostly used as a joke, as in, "Ha ha ha, someone you wouldn't expect to speak like that, spoke like that." It's about the contrast. For example, you'll find that booker wrestler does a funny skit where he acts like a king and reviews movies while trying to fake a british accent. I sincerely doubt my bad is taken seriously as a natural part of english's evolution since it's been used in jokes like that. I'd say it's up there with fo shizzle my nizzle.

Bay's obviously just trying to go for a cheap laugh by making someone as militant and disciplined as prime say something the gosh darn kids are saying these days. I'm thinking it's just outrageous to cheapen a character like optimus for a cheap little laugh... :( But if I can live through batman saying "can you drive stick?" maybe I can live through this...

In the G1 cartoon there were many autobots that tried to be hip including Optimus. Spike taught Optimus to play basketball in the Master Builders. Jazz acted hip in every episode. Tracks and Blaster acted hip in Autobop. Hoist, Tracks, and Powerglide all tried to be hip in Hoist goes Hollywood.

I don't remember there being any decepticons that tried to be hip.

There have been rumors floating round the net that Optimus Prime will speak in a more human way...as in saying stuff like 'my bad' etc... Cullen: The voice will be the same. There's maybe a little more human to him. What I find interesting is that he's now a little more colloquial, a little more trying to be hip...But he still holds the same ingredients...

Well there you have it.
What do you think?

I think it is another prime exemple of Micheal bay's and the production team's disdain for the original material.

Optimus was not "hip" or anything alike (If they wanted a hip character, they had the perfect vessel in Jazz!): Prime was focused, serious, insightful and wise... And that is precisely what made him cool!... Made him an icon, is what it did!!

... Somebody call CSI: "Transformers" was murdered and we found another proof of it!

I think it is another prime exemple of Micheal bay's and the production team's disdain for the original material.

Optimus was not "hip" or anything alike (If they wanted a hip character, they had the perfect vessel in Jazz!): Prime was focused, serious, insightful and wise... And that is precisely what made him cool!... Made him an icon, is what it did!!
You really need to watch G1 seasons 1 and 2 again. You are remembering it wrong...

You really need to watch G1 seasons 1 and 2 again. You are remembering it wrong...

Even if Prime acted one way or another in one filler episode or another, doesn't mean he needs to be introduced that way in an origin movie.

Unless you can point out this sort of thing in the original 5-episode miniseries or original limited series of the comic book. I mean, Spider-man turned into a d*k at some point, but Sam Raimi waited until the 3rd movie to introduce that.

I agree with others that Prime is way above cheesy dialogue. But, I also agree with others that say it isn't a big deal.... taken by itself.

It won't be stupid, it'll be funny...because Optimus Prime wants to be more human I believe in the movie...so by him saying stuff like 'my bad' (even if I doubt he will say the actual words 'my bad'), it will bring in some humor...either way, Peter Cullen won't mess up the movie, just knowing Peter Cullen even is making the voice for Optimus Prime overshines that fact.

why would he want to be more human?

"It's time to tumble with Rumble"

there was a lot of cheesy dialogue in the cartoon...we even got goofy dialogue in the TF:the movie:

"Bah weep granna weep ninibahm"

and then you hear: "My bad"

and you have a problem with that? Hell I welcome it...

I think it sucks major ass. It dates the movie, and will have audiences laughing at Prime like a one-liner ****e machine. Who knows what kind of dumb ass current day slang Bay will have spewing out of Prime the whole movie, thus murdering his character. I do NOT look forward to hearing Prime talking like a high school *****e.

However, if he says "Oh snap!" I will see the movie 10 times.

I really just want to hear the line "Jerk! That's what you are, jerk!"

bay is writting the dialoge for hte movie?

CFlash, you don't consider all this bickering over 2 small words "fans overreacting"?

i do...

I really just want to hear the line "Jerk! That's what you are, jerk!"

if i heard that line, i'd bust out laughing harder than if i heard "my bad"

CFlash, you don't consider all this bickering over 2 small words "fans overreacting"?

i do...
I have no problem with it by itself, really. It's the fact that it could be the tip of a slang-filled iceburger. "Fo shizzle!" "WHAT! YEAH! OK!" "Skeet skeet!" "Don'tcha wish yo girlfriend was HOT like me!!"

i do...

I do.

But as I and Dog Lips have pointed out, it could be (and seems to be) symptomatic of larger problems with the movie.

It could very well work and be classics like Cameron's Terminator quotes etc... but, this is Bay not Cameron. :csad:

I have no problem with it by itself, really. It's the fact that it could be the tip of a slang-filled iceburger. "Fo shizzle!" "WHAT! YEAH! OK!" "Skeet skeet!" "Don'tcha wish yo girlfriend was HOT like me!!"

*sigh* more stereotyping...

...you DO know that people who listen to rap/hip-hop/r&b aren't the only ones who use the phrase right? i work with a bunch of retired Navy guys, who happen to be white, and most of them say it as well. i'm beginning to think that most people who have a problem with the phrase don't have a problem with the phrase itself, but instead have a problem with where it came from.

As pointed out earlier, if it's just a one-time thing and it's just Prime repeating Sam, then that's fine, really. But if Sam constantly throws out current day crap and Prime keeps repeating him, or Prime just keeps spilling out one-liners that make him seem like he belongs on MTV, I'll take my TF popcorn bag and leave. :cmad:

...you DO know that people who listen to rap/hip-hop/r&b aren't the only ones who use the phrase right? i work with a bunch of retired Navy guys, who happen to be white, and most of them say it as well.

I meant no stereotype by the phrases I picked, just using the ones that got played out to hell, whether in jest, or all over MTV. How about; "Get R done!"

if i heard that line, i'd bust out laughing harder than if i heard "my bad"

That's why I'd want it in it. The first time I heard it in the old G1 cartoon I couldn't stop laughing. It was just too damn hilarious. :D

Some believe he says junk, which would make a lot more sense, but no matter how often I listen to it, it sounds like jerk to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c_o0Weho_wA

...you DO know that people who listen to rap/hip-hop/r&b aren't the only ones who use the phrase right? i work with a bunch of retired Navy guys, who happen to be white, and most of them say it as well. i'm beginning to think that most people who have a problem with the phrase don't have a problem with the phrase itself, but instead have a problem with where it came from.

WTF??? Where do you get this from? And if you consider this bickering why do you keep fanning the flame???

ANY idiotic slang coming out of Optimus Prime's mouth would seem misplaced. If he said "narley" that would be just as stupid.

WTF??? Where do you get this from? And if you consider this bickering why do you keep fanning the flame???
i get it from the fact that Dog Lips only listed r&b and hip hop slang. if he threw in some rock or even regular slang it'd be a different story. you gonna fault me for thinking he was being stereotypical since he clumped "my bad" with urban music slang? as for "fanning the flame" the flame will keep going regardless of me fanning it. i'm sure there will be fans who will complain about it even after they see it...

ANY idiotic slang coming out of Optimus Prime's mouth would seem misplaced. If he said "narley" that would be just as stupid.
well that's your opinion. my opinion is that "my bad" is not idiotic slang and that it's no more idiotic than saying "my fault". i don't see "my bad" nearly as much of a slang term than "gnarley" or "wicked" are especially considering he context. "my bad" is an apology..."gnarley" is used to describe something.

i get it from the fact that Dog Lips only listed r&b and hip hop slang. if he threw in some rock or even regular slang it'd be a different story. you gonna fault me for thinking he was being stereotypical since he clumped "my bad" with urban music slang? as for "fanning the flame" the flame will keep going regardless of me fanning it. i'm sure there will be fans who will complain about it even after they see it...

I was more pointing to dated terms and phrases that get a rise out of current audiences. Obviously listing song lyrics I was joking, but you took it seriously for some odd reason. Yes, millions of white guys ran around going; "WHAT! OK! YEAH!" after hearing it all over the place from songs. Then Dave Chapelle had to make it worse. :p Take; "I'm Rick James, b***h!" for example. This lead to the internet dub of "I'm the Juggernaut, b***h!" Now, Ratner's dumbass throws it into his X3 film. Yes, it made me cringe, and yes, 5 years from now it will make many others cringe to hear it. "My bad" is just a harmless current day thing, but it will be replaced in a few years and gone. Prime could say "That's whack!", "Oh snap!", "Dawg." or "That's pretty sweet." and it would be the same. It's the point of not only dating the movie, and making Prime sound like an MTV ****e bag, it hurts the character. No problem making him friendly, but don't make him sound like a freakin' moron.

well that's your opinion. my opinion is that "my bad" is not idiotic slang and that it's no more idiotic than saying "my fault". i don't see "my bad" nearly as much of a slang term than "gnarley" or "wicked" are especially considering he context. "my bad" is an apology..."gnarley" is used to describe something.

Even if you don't think it's slang (which it is), "My Bad" is definately informal.

If I was your professor and you said that to me I'd slap you upside-yo-head... formally!

[edit]
And, Dog Lips post above is the definitive post on the matter IMO.

Luckily the Transformers don't have some crazy internet clip like the, 'I'm the Juggernaut *****!' clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"