Comics Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Returns!

Kingpin's been back for a while.
He's in Secret Empire
Before the current volume of Spectacular I almost completely dropped out of comic books, the one who tried to get me up to date on Spider-Man during Superior is my youngest brother.

Has anyone read the 2nd issue yet? My goodness was it downright awful. So many cringe worthy moments, the story was crap, the humor was really bad and it made Peter look ridiculous. Zdarsky is actually worse at writing Peter/Spider-Man than Slott. Even Kubert's art was lacking. Well, it didn't take very long for this book to suck...I give it a D-

Aloha,
So far, not so good.:cmad:
Spidey rules

I haven't read PPTSSM #2 yet, but I had a bad feeling about Zdarsky...his humor is a little to zany for my tastes.

As promised here are pics of the JSC variants I purchased. I just got them in the mail today. They should have been here a week ago but there was a printing issue that delayed mailing the order.

DzVBBat.jpg

Middle one is the best. I enjoy seeing Pete & MJ swinging together. Love the way MJ is drawn here and having Peter maskless with that expression.

Middle one is the best. I enjoy seeing Pete & MJ swinging together. Love the way MJ is drawn here and having Peter maskless with that expression.

Yeah I'm torn between the MJ version and the Black Cat one. But I'm leaning towards the BC cover. Love seeing her back in the classic costume. There was also a D variant featuring Gwen Stacy but it's a con exclusive.

s-l1600.jpg

Why don't you give your thoughts on this book?
Most everyone seems to like aspects of it, yet dislikes it in general.

Why don't you give your thoughts on this book?
Most everyone seems to like aspects of it, yet dislikes it in general.

I mentioned on here before that I left Marvel comics a year ago, not because I dislike everyone there, I'm a fan of some of the writers and books (loved Spidey/Deadpool), but I didn't like the way they were treating the fans or their legacy characters. And the over-bearing political slant was stripping away any enjoyment I was getting from the book. It just made me cynical. So I refused to support them any longer.

I may consider returning in the coming months as they finally seem to be getting it and what 'legacy' means. Hopefully the next year will be a return to greater things. Hopefully.

As for this, it's way too early, so I would just give him more time to find his footing. He's a great writer (Howard the Duck is amazing) and treats his fans well. I don't get the sense from what I've read that people dislike it in general, just that it's pretty uneven so far and could go either way. I've seen plenty from both sides. I certainly don't get the sense it's 'terrible, crap' If you are putting money down to buy it, then you must have some optimism.

Last edited:
Wow, I guess this thread has contributed to some of the thoughts I've been having about the book. Not gonna lie, I think it's been alright fun so far -- I did think the recent issue with Peter going up as Spidey at the stand-up comedy place was off.

But I'm feeling similarly with this as I am with the new animated series. I'll give it an issue more.

I was thinking about picking up this book, but never had the time/money...looks like I didn't miss much.
Hate that, as I LOVE Adam Kubert's Spider-Man.

Aloha,
It seems that they are going for a Spider-Man/Deadpool kind of vibe. Sometimes it hits and other times it misses.
Spidey rues

How was the latest ish? Haven't picked it up yet. Was it 5 or 6?

How was the latest ish? Haven't picked it up yet. Was it 5 or 6?

#6 came out today, it was really good. Like maybe one of the best single Spidey issues I've read in years.

#6 came out today, it was really good. Like maybe one of the best single Spidey issues I've read in years.
Oh my! Good to know. I'll have to catch up on 5 and 6. Maybe this weekend.

I just came say that this was a really damned good issue.
One drawback... the talk seemed to be over with pretty quickly.
Hopefully we get a decent follow up to this one when everything settles down.

Okay, I actually went to a comic shop just to buy this one. Wow...what an issue! This is how I like my Spidey books! Meaningful drama and character development. Also, I LIKED the artwork in this issue, although I've heard it's detractors. The art was perfect for the book.

Well done.

With regards to what happens at the end of this issue, I still don't know whether this was a good idea or not. What I will say is that this comic surprised me...especially since Chip Zdarsky wrote something which, I think, could be one of the best single issue Spider-Man comics of the year.

Stillanerd Reviews: Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 review

Aloha,
Mark this day down in your calendars, Stillanerd had something positive to say about a Spider-Man comic book written within this decade.:cwink:
Spidey rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"