Comics Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Returns!

PeterBenParker

Wallopin' Websnappers!
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/33157-marvel-announces-spectacular-spider-man-second-more-personal-peter-parker-ongoing.html

A second Spider-Man ongoing is launching with a familiar name: Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man. Entertainment Weekly broke the news of the new ongoing series, which will be written by Chip Zdarsky and drawn by Adam Kubert.

Spectacular Spider-Man will launch with a free story in one of Marvel's two Free Comic Book Day 2017 titles on Ma7 6, with Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #1 scheduled to come out in June. The story will focus on Spider-Man's life in New York City, an approach which Zdarsky says is a "more personal" book than Amazing Spider-Man.

"The main book, Amazing Spider-Man, has kept things fresh by stretching the character and his situation," Zdarsky explained. "It’s still classic Spider-Man at its core, but transposed into new settings. With this book, we’re using the same Spider-Man in-continuity but shifting the spotlight back to his NYC environment and supporting cast."

Zdarsky cited a number of classic Spider-Man tales as inspiration for Spectacular, including Amazing Spider-Man #33, in which Peter extricates himself from a seemingly impossible situation to save Aunt May, as well as J. Michael Straczynski's "The Other," and Superior Spider-Man, for their singular, driven villains and emotional payoff.

Zardsky will also introduce a new supporting character, Rebecca London, an aspiring comedian who befriends Spider-Man.

Zdarsky didn't reveal how the launch of the second series would affect Peter Parker's status quo, however he did make it clear that Amazing Spider-Man will continue. It's worth noting that his costume in the Spectacular Spider-Man promo art does not include some of the more high-tech features seen in the most recent volume of Amazing Spider-Man, including his light-up spider symbol.

iXxbcd0.jpg

Well, I guess this is going to be the 'tie-in' feature for Homecoming. That's a little disappointing imo cause it would have been better for the main book to get on the right track. Peter dropping his CEO position and improving his supporting cast in ASM is what I would have personally liked to see. A return to the everyman status as in Peter would be coming back home of sorts, matching the release of Homecoming would've made for a nice transition. That may still happen though given the end of the Osborns.

That said, Adam Kubert art is a definite win. And Spider-Man stories written by someone other than Slott is also nice. Zdarsky--the only time I can think of him writing Spider-Man was in Howard the Duck and his characterization was rather lame. But then again it was probably mostly for the type of humor that the book required. So, it's good that Zdarsky has the sense of humor part and I'm sure based on what he's said, he mostly seems to know what makes Spidey great as a character. Zdarsky is a bit 'off-the-wall' but that might also play out pretty well since this is a book that's going to be a side deal from the main title.

I'm in. At least for now. Hopefully this gives me/us another fun and funny but overall really good Spider-Man book to delve into along with RYV.

I hope that they don't ruin the one good thing Slott has done...
Peter needs to not be such a down on his luck guy all the time!
I like that he is now owner of his own company.

After re-reading the first 20 years of Spider-Man (Amazing, Team-Up, Spectacular and other various appearances), it was getting old quick. Also, the fact that there's still 20 more years worth to go through with the same status quo is going to be tedious.
again...
lol

Slott only did one thing right by the character and that was to give him job stability.

I'm definitely in. I have high hopes for this.

Chip Zdarsky can be really good, as evident by how he's dealt with Jughead of the Archie World.

Not really sure how I feel about this.

I mean on the one hand, it's great that we're getting a title in the main universe written by somebody who isn't Slott and a return to some of the aspects that make Spidey who he is. And Adam Kubert doing the art is also a definite plus. Who know's, maybe this is also another sign that Slott won't be much longer for the main title and will be replaced soon.

On the other hand, Zdarsky's comments on how he views Peter aren't too clear to me. They mean that he'll either write him as the pathetic man child loser he's been for years now or as the more mature and relatable every-man with an appropriately problematic life as he was portrayed by Roger Stern, JMS and currently by Conway over in RNV. I'm seriously hoping it'll be the later of course.

I'm also not too thrilled about his plans to give Peter yet another new love interest. Now granted, what he has planned for now might not go beyond the teasing stage (similar to how I believe the spidey/mockingbird thing will turn out) but it's still a cause for concern. I'm seriously hoping we won't have another Carlie Cooper on our hands, because that'll just be another indication that the people in charge of the comics division still don't get it after all these years.

It also sounds like Mary Jane will continue to be an Iron Man character and won't be featured in this title.

Last edited:
Not really sure how I feel about this.

I mean on the one hand, it's great that we're getting a title in the main universe written by somebody who isn't Slott and a return to some of the aspects that make Spidey who he is. And Adam Kubert doing the art is also a definite plus. Who know's, maybe this is also another sign that Slott won't be much longer for the main title and will be replaced soon.

On the other hand, Zdarsky's comments on how he views Peter aren't too clear to me. They mean that he'll either write him as the pathetic man child loser he's been for years now or as the more mature and relatable every-man with an appropriately problematic life as he was portrayed by Roger Stern, JMS and currently by Conway over in RNV. I'm seriously hoping it'll be the later of course.

I'm also not too thrilled about his plans to give Peter yet another new love interest. Now granted, what he has planned for now might not go beyond the teasing stage (similar to how I believe the spidey/mockingbird thing will turn out) but it's still a cause for concern. I'm seriously hoping we won't have another Carlie Cooper on our hands, because that'll just be another indication that the people in charge of the comics division still don't get it after all these years.

It also sounds like Mary Jane will continue to be an Iron Man character and won't be featured in this title.

I like your post and I agree with you on just about everything.

Zdarsky's comments seem mostly good but because this Peter is still under the rule of the current universe, the status quo will probably remain. Which imo is unfortunate. Though under a different writer we may get some better stories. And possibly the characterization would improve--I think the man-child character is a direct result of Slott. After all, he writes what he is or rather what he knows.

It really isn't clear that the new supporting character, Rebecca London, is meant to be a new 'love interest.' It only says she'll befriend Peter. I've no real issue with bringing in new characters but MJ is Pete's one true love and the main book needs to make amends to correct that aspect. But even if they don't ever undo OMD, at least make MJ not be the b****y-always against Peter role that she seems to have undertaken ever since Superior. And bring back Felicia too.

I may check this out. Not sure about this Rebecca character. Couldn't care less if she's another romantic interest the readers never asked for.

I may check this out. Not sure about this Rebecca character. Couldn't care less if she's another romantic interest the readers never asked for.

I'll never understand why so many writers and editors think it's vital to have Peter placed in an endless cycle of uninteresting, doomed-to-fail relationships. I mean honestly, I would much rather they have the character just decide to swear off relationships for good.

But like I said though, we don't really know where Zdarsky will go with this. I'd be perfectly fine with it just being a friendship with some romantic tension.

And I don't know if this means anything, but I have gotten the impression over the past few years that the higher ups at Marvel have finally realized that pairing Peter with a love interest who isn't MJ is pretty much a lost cause at this point.

My only issue with this is that I'm unsure if this will serve as a companion to ASM or if it'll be its own thing. I really hope it is the latter.

I don't have high hopes for this. Marvel hasn't really gotten any 616 Spider-Book right in a number of years now.

C'mon... if Marvel stopped adding love interests that readers never asked for, we'd have never moved beyond Betty Brant.
Give your head a shake for making such an asinine comment.

I mean honestly, I would much rather they have the character just decide to swear off relationships for good.

I agree that his responsibility to being Spider-Man will always hinder/conflict with relationships, but Peter's need for a normal life will always make him try, even though the Specter of Spider-Man will always come between his wants and loves.

Just my opinion.

C'mon... if Marvel stopped adding love interests that readers never asked for, we'd have never moved beyond Betty Brant.

And people think I'm a troll.:whatever:

Nein herr opinion Gestapo. :oldrazz:

Good times Zdarsky :up: Howard will come to play. 私は空想を愛する

I love Chip! He's perfect for Spider-Man! Actually, he was the guy I was hoping they'd let write Spider-Man in an in-universe alternative book to Slott, it's like Marvel read my mind. Plus Adam Kubert on art, that's just great.

Notice the mustard stain on Pete's shirt seeping onto his costume.

"The main book, Amazing Spider-Man, has kept things fresh by stretching the character and his situation. It’s still classic Spider-Man at its core, but transposed into new settings. With this book, we’re using the same Spider-Man in-continuity but shifting the spotlight back to his NYC environment and supporting cast. But even though we’re pushing to make it a more personal book, we’re still going to have big adventures with ramifications that’ll be felt in his other books. If I had, like, a true mission statement for the title though, it would be: “Have fun, have heart, have stakes.” My personal mission statement going into the book is “With great power comes something something I don’t know I’ve never had power before.”

"In a lot of ways, I feel that “Peter Parker” is the mask and—[laughs]—just kidding. Can you imagine? Spider-Man is kind of like when you’re a kid and you go to camp or a new school, and you think, “I can be a new person here,” but you invariably end up with the same problems because you’re still, you know, the same person. Peter can be having a crummy time of things, put on his Spider-Man outfit and feel like he can do anything. But inevitably his “Parker luck” spoils things, even as Spider-Man. And part of the fun of the character is seeing how he gets out of the holes he digs for himself. There are still periods where one is doing better than the other and I’ve always loved that aspect of secret identities. Peter could get a new job, a new girlfriend, but Spider-Man is accused of a crime and is public enemy number one. That’s the fun of Spider-Man, you’re playing with the outside perception of two characters."

"I’m a child of the ’80s and ’90s, so a lot of books from that time really imprinted on me. The mystery of the Hobgoblin hooked me as a kid. I also loved the stories that made you feel like Spidey was up against impossible odds. The classic scene from issue #33 of him struggling under the wreckage; his defeat of Firelord, Galactus’s herald; the introduction of Venom, which was terrifying; or when J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr. introduced Morlun, an unstoppable, single-minded villain. Even though he’s been on teams, Spidey as the loner trying desperately to survive and save everyone is key. I also love stories that remind you of why you love the character. Superior Spider-Man managed to do that superbly while not even having Spider-Man as a character, which was incredibly bold with a fantastic payoff. I think those are the things I want to push in this book: impossible odds and reminding people why they love Spider-Man."

"Your head’s going to spin when you see all the senior citizen characters I introduce! Marvel keeps telling me to “skew young” and to keep my “weird fetishes out of their book” and that I’m “fired,” but I think audiences are clamoring for the next Aunt May! I’m also introducing Rebecca London, a recent transplant to NYC looking to have a career in stand-up comedy. Spider-Man, not Peter, is the only person she’s managed to meet since arriving in the city, so they strike up a friendship and … possible love connection? Marvel is thrilled with me that she’s (sigh) “age appropriate.”

"He’s misunderstood and underestimated, either as Pete or Spider-Man. He’s the mascot for New York City, and, like a sports mascot, that means he’s beloved by children and endured by adults. He’s the only street-level superhero who could beat a herald of Galactus in a fight. He feels things stronger than any other hero and covers that up with jokes. He’s Spider-Man!"

Some neat quotes from Chip's interview with EW.

http://ew.com/books/2017/02/14/chip-zdarsky-peter-parker-spectacular-spider-man/

Some really inspiring things and also worrisome things in those quotes.

Still tempering expectations, but glad to see Marvel doing another (Parker-led) Spider-title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"