Phase 3 Anticipation Ranking

I strongly disagree there. Carol's powers are epic. Just last year, she defended an alien planet from invading forces from Spartax (the space empire Star-Lord hails from) without even the use of her spaceship. That is, she took on an entire armada of intergalactic warships on her own. Just with her powers. Her blasts can reach the level of nuclear explosions. Her physical strength is closer to Thor-levels than Captain America-levels. She can fly at several times the speed of sound. She's a powerhouse. Those powers alone will hold a much stronger appeal for the GA than Ant-Man, even on a basic visual level. Then you add the fact that she's Marvel's first lead female, something that has been much harped on in the media over the years and a lot of people are hungry for it. Especially when you consider that women are starting to comprise a higher percentage of the audiences for Marvel's movies as the years go on. It's getting damn near close to 50/50 at this point, and I can tell you, those female fans are starving for a lead hero to call their own.

I also believe the placement of her movie and the way Kevin Feige described her heavily suggests her film will be directly intertwined with the Infinity War saga. Therefore, a significant portion of the audience who turned out for Infinity War Part 1 will most likely turn out for her film to see the continuation of that story. I think it's gonna be a huge hit.

Here some info.

Carol Danvers (Earth-616)

Superhuman Strength: Carol is super humanly strong and is listed at a normal level somewhere between class 50 and class 90, likely class 75. However, since she is able to absorb various types of energy, she can use this energy to temporarily increase her physical strength to levels similar to that of her time as Binary, in which form she reaches class 100+.

Thor (Thor Odinson)

* Godlike Strength: In addition to being the God of Thunder, Thor is also the Asgardian God of Strength, as such he is physically the strongest of the Asgardian gods. His feats include destroying an arch weighing over a million tons, crumbling Uru into dust, lifting the Midgard Serpent, who was large enough to coil around the Earth from head to tail multiple times over and crush it in its grip. Pushing the Worldengine, which reversed the Yggdrasil Tree . Thor nearly killed Angrir with a powerful blow, who had defeated the base level Red Hulk (He grows much more powerful from absorbing energy). His clash against Gorr shattered entire worlds. He effortlessly threw a piece of star core at the god-bomb. He also physically held together the fissures of a badly damaged moon, and mended it with his lightning.

Captain america is close to 1 ton in comics.
It looks like captain marvel's strength level is closer to ironman's,captain britain's and hyperion in the comics.These characters normally lift 100 tons or close to it,while thor could lift over 1 million tons.
Thor's strength has gotten upgrades in the comics over the years and could lift way beyond 100 tons now,but way back his strength was closer to captain marvel's,but now it's equal or surpasses superman's.

So THOR'S strength is incalculable like hulk's now and he could move a planet or break one in the comics with his strength,so overall captain marvel's strength in scale would be closer to captain america's but much higher.

Last edited:
Here some info.

Thor (Thor Odinson)

* Godlike Strength: In addition to being the God of Thunder, Thor is also the Asgardian God of Strength, as such he is physically the strongest of the Asgardian gods. His feats include destroying an arch weighing over a million tons, crumbling Uru into dust, lifting the Midgard Serpent, who was large enough to coil around the Earth from head to tail multiple times over and crush it in its grip. Pushing the Worldengine, which reversed the Yggdrasil Tree . Thor nearly killed Angrir with a powerful blow, who had defeated the base level Red Hulk (He grows much more powerful from absorbing energy). His clash against Gorr shattered entire worlds. He effortlessly threw a piece of star core at the god-bomb. He also physically held together the fissures of a badly damaged moon, and mended it with his lightning.

Captain america is close to 1 ton in comics.
It looks captain marvel's strength level is closer to ironman's,captain britain's and hyperion in the comics.These characters normal lift 100 tons or close to it,while thor could lift over 1 million tons.
Thor's strength has gotten upgrades in the comics over the years and could lift way beyond 100 tons now,but way back his strength was closer to captain marvel's,but now it's equal or surpasses superman's.

So THOR'S strength is incalculable like hulk's now and he could move a planet or break one in the comics with his strength,so overall captain marvel's strength in scale would be closer to captain america's but just much higher.

Well, all I can say is I'm really happy with the movie power levels as opposed to the present comics ones. Actually for everybody.

Thank you for posting that mace, but while I'm aware that Thor can punch a planet into pieces in the comics, I was speaking in reference to the movies. Visually, if you put her in the same scenes as we've already seen Cap and Thor, her strength level would almost certainly appear closer to Thor's level than Cap's, tossing cars around like they're nothing, bashing craters in the ground, fist-fighting Iron Man up a rock wall without receiving barely a scratch, stuff like that. And when she goes Binary, it seems almost limitless.

Anyway, my point still stands - Her powers are epic, and much more visually appealing than Ant-Man's ever were, imo, so for that reason and others, I feel like her film will hold a MUCH broader appeal for the GA when the trailers start to hit.

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is I'm really happy with the movie power levels as opposed to the present comics ones. Actually for everybody.

If Thor was as strong as he was in the comics and mjolnir had all the extra abilities it had in the comics, Thor wouldn't need anyone else. Mjolnir could time travel and manipulate matter for god's sake. Thank God Thor is just really strong and his hammer only dishes out lightning bolts and tornadoes.

That's an absurd statement. Are you honestly saying that MCU Thor is no more developed than Movie Colossus or Bishop? Because that's just bull**** of the highest order. He had a major character arc in the first Thor movie and another (albeit rushed) arc in TDW.

Also, Thor kicked ass in both Avengers films. He was shown to be (nearly) a physical match for Hulk even without Mjolnir and was kicking major butt in the final battles of both TA and AoU. As for character, his relationship with Loki was a big part of TA and in AoU, he was the one who figured out the wider plan of Thanos and that Vision needed to be created.

Maybe you don't like the way Thor has been written thus far, but to say he hasn't had any development or screen presence is just dishonesty IMO.

Thor: The Dark World did seem like an afterthought, though. Pretty much the only thing of value was the official introduction of the Infinity Stones concept.

The reason I'm not really excited for Ragnarok is I can't shake the feeling that like The Dark World, it's just going to exist to set up a more interesting development for another film.

Thor: The Dark World did seem like an afterthought, though. Pretty much the only thing of value was the official introduction of the Infinity Stones concept.

The reason I'm not really excited for Ragnarok is I can't shake the feeling that like The Dark World, it's just going to exist to set up a more interesting development for another film.
I thought it did a great job of establishing the ancient past/mythology of the MCU, especially in regard to both the Infinity Stones and how the Dark Elves were around before creation.

1. Spider-Man
2. Captain America Civil War
3. Avengers infinity war
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
5. Dr. Strange

Not excited for others yet.

It is a very difficult question, because i am looking forward to ALL of them.

11. Captain Marvel
->
i am no big fan of the character, nor do i like movies with women in the lead. Therefore is this movie my last on the list...But i think there are many possibilities to make it a great movie...

10. Ant-Man and Wasp
->
Looking forward to this one. But i want to see almost all the other movies more!!

9. Inhumans
->
Beginning with "Inhumans" i am really looking forward to all movies. I like the idea of the "world of the Inhumans". Think there are lot of stories to tell. Also interested, how they bring Black Bolt to live...

8. Doctor Strange
->
(could also be number 7)
I am really looking forward to this one, but i am not sure, if the whole "Doctor Strange"-story will be interesting enough. I know the comic movie, and it is not really what i like - but i think, they will do a pretty good job.
Wanted someone more "manlier" in the lead...

7. Black Panther
->
One word - Wakanda. Can not wait to see this. But, on the other hand - is Wakanda enough in the end?If Boseman can lead the movie, i am sure, we will see a great movie...

6. Spiderman
->
Normally, this movie would be number 9, but i am looking forward how Marvel make finally a good "Spiderman"-movie, after the awful two "Amazing Spiderman" ones.
Why "normally number 9" - i am not looking forward to see "some kids movies". Do not know, if a young Spiderman - also pointing to Runaways - is something i want to see.

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
->
What a great movie the first one was! And i expect nothing short of this for the second movie. I hope to see Adam Warlock. Hope to see even more from this universe. Can not wait!!

4. Civil War
->
Almost my number one, now down to number 4. Why?
Hmm, i am not sure, if i want to see THIS "Civil War". It is quite different. There are too many characters missing.
But - i have some doubts lately, but it could be still THE movie of Phase 3!

3. Infinity War I
->
Of course, the second part will be the more anticipated one, but do not underestimate the first. The build-up could be as epic as the final.

2. Thor Ragnarok
->
Surprise? Thor is my favorite character, since i was a child. And as Feige told us, that "Ragnarok" will be "very important", and some souces say "it will be very dark", that is my number 2.
Hope to see Odin in action, Thor and Loki saving the day, and Beta Ray Bill!!

1. Infinity War II
->
If Marvel fails (like in AoU, with bad cuttings) this time, the MCU is dead! It will be a no-brainer - for sure. The most epic movie ever...

Last edited:
It is a very difficult question, because i am looking forward to ALL of them.

11. Captain Marvel
->
i am no big fan of the character, nor do i like movies with women in the lead. Therefore is this movie my last on the list...But i think there are many possibilities to make it a great movie...

Interesting, doesn't that make you a bit sexist? I thought what matters is the character. If the character is interesting and has cool powers, but I guess that doesn't matter, right?

1. Spider-Man
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Infinity War pt 1 & 2
4. Captain Marvel
5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
6. Ant-Man and Wasp
7. Black Panther
8. Thor Ragnarok.
9. Doctor Strange
10. Inhumans

Updated Rankings:
10. Captain America: Civil War-I REALLY want to be excited for this, given that I loved TWS so much. But I just cannot muster up much enthusiasm for this one.
9. Spider-Man-Not really all that excited for Peter Parker version 3, been there done that.
8. Thor: Ragnarok-The Thor films have been the weak links of the MCU thus far, especially TDW. So I’m “meh” on this to, at least for now.
7. Ant Man and The Wasp-Ant Man was enjoyable, but hardly brilliant. At least we’re getting Wasp (she should have been in the first film, but better late than never I guess).
6. The Inhumans-They interesting and this has the potentially to be a really cool flick.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2-GOTG was loads of fun, so this one will probably be as well.
4. Avengers: Infinity War Parts I and II-The culmination of all of this buildup, plus Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, AWESOME!!
3. Doctor Strange-Magic in the MCU, plus a great cast, also awesome.
2. Black Panther-Cool character, cool costume, cool location, interesting mythology, and the first MCU film not starring a White guy. What’s not to be excited for?
1. Captain Marvel-Ditto on the BP stuff, plus the “bridge” between Marvel Earth and Cosmic, awesome. Now don’t push it back again Marvel.

hmmm, there was a line-up change since I last posted here, so let's do an update!
This was my ranking in August:
From most to least:

1) Doctor Strange - This is the movie I've always waited for. The cast, especially Cumberbatch and Swinton is exceptional. Also I'm a huge Strange fan
2) Black Panther - Lots of potential here. I just hope they find the right director
3) GOTG Vol 2 - I loved the first one and can't wait for more
4) Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - The movie everything built up to since 2008. Of course I'm excited.
5) Thor: Ragnarok - The Thor series has so much potential to be truly epic. Hopefully the third one lives up to that potential
6) Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - I'm not really feeling the hype at the moment
7) Inhumans - I'm not that familiar with the current status of the royal family and know nothing about MS's plans with the property, might get higher on the list as soon as cast or crew are announced
8) Captain America: Civil War - I have a bad feeling about this
9) Spider-Man Re-reboot - I've never been a huge Spidey fan and honestly, we had 5 movies with that character in the last 15 years already
10) Captain Marvel - Might be higher on the list if they had chosen Mar'Vell or Monica Rambeau over Carol !+#*&%" Danvers
now let's see how my feelings changed

From most to least (again):

1) Doctor Strange - Not much changed here. The cast is still superb and Strange is still one of my favourite characters. This is the most anticipated.
2) Thor: Ragnarok - We have a director now, one I'm really excited for. I just love What We Do In The Shadows. The addition of Ruffalo to the cast helps to. Moved to the number 2 spot.
3) Black Panther - Still tons of potential. no director attached yet. Lost the number 2 spot to Ranarok, though.
4) GOTG Vol 2 - Excited like a kid in the candy store for this one.
5) Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - The climax of Phase III. rightfully earned a place in the top 5.
6) Ant-Man and The Wasp - If the sequel is as good as the first one, this should be good
7) Captain America: Civil War - My feeling is not bad anymore, but I'm still a little worried. Has the potential to be either great or a huge failure. this time next year we will know.
8) Inhumans - dropped from place 7 to 8 simply because of the Ant-Man sequel. Not much has changed since the last list on that front.
9) Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - still not really feeling the hype, but I'm positive this will come, sooner or later
10) Spider-Man Re-reboot - Well at least the cast is good as far as we know so far. And I have faith in the director. But too many movies for a character I don't really like already make it hard for me to get excited for yet another one. Would normally be the last on my list but for some reason Caroil Danvers gets a movie too.
11) Captain Marvel - Not chosing Monica Rambeau or Mar'Vell is still a huge mistake. I JUST can't get excited for a Danvers movie. Such a bland, boring, vanilla character

11) Captain Marvel - Not chosing Monica Rambeau or Mar'Vell is still a huge mistake. I JUST can't get excited for a Danvers movie. Such a bland, boring, vanilla character

No, making the Captain Marvel movie about some dead guy or some obscure has-been Captain Marvel that has been irrelevant for the past 20 years would be a mistake. Most common book readers don't even know Monica.

Carol Danvers is an awesome character who deserves her own movie. She certainly has more charisma than most of the superheroines in the MCU. Though I did like her more when Brian Reed or BMD wrote the character as opposed to KSD.

No, making the Captain Marvel movie about some dead guy or some obscure has-been Captain Marvel that has been irrelevant for the past 20 years would be a mistake. Most common book readers don't even know Monica.

Carol Danvers is an awesome character who deserves her own movie. She certainly has more charisma than most of the superheroines in the MCU. Though I did like her more when Brian Reed or BMD wrote the character as opposed to KSD.
Let's agree that you have an opinion and that I respect but not share it

How exactly is Mar-Vell a more interesting character than Carol? I can understand wanting Monica Rambeau over Carol as a lead but Mar-Vell...? He's not even as interesting as Captain America or Thor, let alone a brash female fighter pilot like Carol.

Last edited:
Interesting, doesn't that make you a bit sexist? I thought what matters is the character. If the character is interesting and has cool powers, but I guess that doesn't matter, right?

Hmm, no, i just told, what i like and what don`t.
Female lead movies have - mostly - a difficult time at the box office. I do not think it is because "we are all sexists".
You need to find a real good actress for Captain Marvel - then it will work.
The story of the movie, and the movie itself, will be great - i am sure...
But it falls and stands - much more as if a man would lead the movie - with the actress. Most of the time i get no connection with the female lead in such "action movies"... sorry...

Captain Marvel is my number 1...the middle: I'm excited about all to any degree but rounding out the bottom: Inhumans and Spidey.

Updated rankings with the new line-up:

1.) Captain Marvel - Carol is an awesome character in the old-fashioned hero mold that characters like Superman, Captain America and Hal Jordan are drawn from. And as Superman himself is my all-time fave, those are undeniably my favorite types of heroes - not born out of a traumatic experience or a reluctant hero or a jerk who found their heroic side after some lesson in humility - but someone who's just a hero because she doesn't know how to be anything else, and enjoys it. Someone who's outgoing, positive, confident, doesn't believe in no-win scenarios and isn't afraid to make mistakes or kick a lot of ass when warranted. And given her nearly god-like powers, this might end up being the closest thing I'll get to the Superman movie I've always wanted to see as previous adaptations of that character haven't really done it for me yet. Plus, if Feige's words are anything to go by, this movie will apparently be the bridge from Earthbound Marvel to the cosmic side, so that's exciting to me as well.

2.) Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - It's basically the grande finale of the MCU as we've known it. I just hope the Russo's are able to hold it all together and bring it to a satisfying conclusion.

3.) Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - There's a part of me that thinks this has a better chance of delivering than Part 2, because it gets to bring new people together without the burden of having to wrap it all up. Either way, I'm excited to see Thanos finally make his move.

4.) Captain America: Civil War - Cap is my favorite Marvel hero, my fave in the MCU, and TWS was damn near perfection. Of course I can't wait for this. I just hope it still feels like a Cap movie given how crowded it is, but the Russos have earned my faith for now.

5.) Doctor Strange - That cast has boosted my anticipation for this significantly.

6.) Black Panther - My favorite thing about Phase 3 vs. Phase 2 is all the new blood being introduced to carry the future MCU. Can't wait to meet BP in Civil War.

7.) Inhumans - See above. Also, I loved the Paul Jenkins run of these comics and look forward to seeing Maximus the Mad and Attilan brought to life.

8.) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st and I can't wait to explore more of the cosmic MCU.

9.) Ant-Man and the Wasp - Ant-Man was cute. Hope Van Dyne hasn't proven herself a suitable replacement for Jan yet, imo, but I'm glad we're at least getting SOME version of Wasp nonetheless.

10.) Thor: Ragnarok - Thor and his world leaves me cold (which is a shame as there was plenty of potential there), but this is being hyped as a big MCU shake-up, so hopefully I'll enjoy it more than the previous installments.

11.) Spider-Man - I just can't bring myself to get hyped for yet another version of this character in high school. I'll enjoy seeing him interact with the other Avengers so I'm glad he's in the MCU, but that's about it.

Last edited:
How exactly is Mar-Vell a more interesting character than Carol? I can understand wanting Monica Rambeau over Carol as a lead but Mar-Vell...? He's not even as interesting as Captain America or Thor, let alone a brash female fighter pilot like Carol.

Mar-Vell would have been a PR nightmare to boot. They weren't gonna blow the opportunity to finally answer the criticisms about the lack of women in the previous Marvel movies.

There's been a big conscious push for line-wide diversity in the MCU and Disney as a whole in recent years and that's not an accident.

Nobody's excited for Spidey. :csad:

Last edited:
Nobody's excited for Spidey. :csad:
Don't worry, PLENTY of people are excited for Spidey (and I'd imagine even more will be after seeing him interacting with the Avengers). I'm just not one of 'em. But I do look forward to his CW appearance.

Don't worry, PLENTY of people are excited for Spidey (and I'd imagine even more will be after seeing him interacting with the Avengers). I'm just not one of 'em. But I do look forward to his CW appearance.

:up: I really hope Marvel can win people back with their version of Spidey, because if not.. Well, he'll probably get 'Hulked' and only appear in cross-over flicks.

Updated rankings with the new line-up:

1.) Captain Marvel - Carol is an awesome character in the old-fashioned hero mold that characters like Superman, Captain America and Hal Jordan are drawn from. And as Superman himself is my all-time fave, those are undeniably my favorite types of heroes - not born out of a traumatic experience or a reluctant hero or a jerk who found their heroic side after some lesson in humility - but someone who's just a hero because she doesn't know how to be anything else, and enjoys it. Someone who's outgoing, positive, confident, doesn't believe in no-win scenarios and isn't afraid to make mistakes or kick a lot of ass when warranted. And given her nearly god-like powers, this might end up being the closest thing I'll get to the Superman movie I've always wanted to see as previous adaptations of that character haven't really done it for me yet. Plus, if Feige's words are anything to go by, this movie will apparently be the bridge from Earthbound Marvel to the cosmic side, so that's exciting to me as well.

I couldn't agree with you more! And please, not every hero needs to be about some overly complicated, morally ambiguous person that needs to be redeemed. Captain America is a great character that people love, and he is none of things. This is why, it came to no surprise to me that you're such a Cap fan. I would like to point out, just to be clear, she's different from Cap. She's more sassy and jokes around a bit more. Oh, and that's another thing I love about Carol coming to the MCU. She's not this wounded, emotionally damaged assassin or a potentially crazy person trying to redeem herself. Not to knock Widow, Gamora, or Black Widow, but none of these women don't like to smile. The guys get all the jokes. Every now and then, we'll get For this reason, I have no problem with Carol being seen as a brightest star in the sky, come phase 3.

9.) Ant-Man and the Wasp - Ant-Man was cute. Hope Van Dyne hasn't proven herself a suitable replacement for Jan yet, imo, but I'm glad we're at least getting SOME version of Wasp nonetheless.

Wasp! She's such a fun character! Oh, wait. It's Hope? Yeah. Marvel could
have went for the more happy, upbeat character, instead we get the woman with daddy issues and Ant-Man is the happy, upbeat character. For some strange reason, women aren't allowed to be anything but "badass." Granted, the other heroines are in character to reflect their comic book counterparts, but what about Hope?

I couldn't agree with you more! And please, not every hero needs to be about some overly complicated, morally ambiguous person that needs to be redeemed. Captain America is a great character that people love, and he is none of things. This is why, it came to no surprise to me that you're such a Cap fan. I would like to point out, just to be clear, she's different from Cap. She's more sassy and jokes around a bit more. Oh, and that's another thing I love about Carol coming to the MCU. She's not this wounded, emotionally damaged assassin or a potentially crazy person trying to redeem herself. Not to knock Widow, Gamora, or Black Widow, but none of these women don't like to smile. The guys get all the jokes. Every now and then, we'll get For this reason, I have no problem with Carol being seen as a brightest star in the sky, come phase 3.
Oh definitely. I was only drawing the comparisons in which heroic archetype they are drawn from, not their exact personalities. Carol is more brash, like Hal Jordan, than Cap, and is definitely more of a quipper than either. Case-in-point: That one line Joss gave Cap in AoU that so many people felt was out of character for him ("You didn't finish!") would have fit Carol to a "T". Like you, I look forward to a female hero with a real sense of humor that remembers how to smile and enjoy her job every now and then.

And yeah, as I'm sure you could tell from my post, I found Hope to be quite disappointing as well. But if they make it up to me by bringing in Jessica Drew and Monica Rambeau soon, all will be forgiven. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"