Re-organising Phase 3

hoy-small-fry

It's a dance-off bro!
Reaction score
Spidey's back :woo:

But with it comes a reshuffle of the films for Phase 3. What was looking like a finale in IW2, has now been changed. The situation as it stands is;

Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians 2
Spiderman ([BLACKOUT]call it Superior to really stick it to Sony[/BLACKOUT])
Thor: Ragnarok
Infinity War Part 1
Black Panter
Captain Marvel
Infinity War Part 2
Inhumans

This looks stupid to me. Given that IW can't move from its tentpole date, surely Thor needs to move back to allow Black Panter in before IW? And Inhumans after IW2 makes no sense at all, unless they're just not turning up for Thanos' arrival... Looks a bit of a mess to me :huh:

I think Black Panther moving could be a blessing in disguse, since it was going to go up against Justice League.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel can benefit greatly from the post Avengers box office boost.

Inhumans is after Infinity War Part 2 but doesn't mean they can't be involved.
Otherwise everything AoS has done will have been slightly pointless.
Plus Marvel's Spiderman and Black Panther come after their first appearance in the MCU.

But in that case, why were they positioned before IW2? There was a plan, and it has been thrown into disarray now... You can't really use the Inhumans to their full extent in IW2 now, as no-one will know who they are

Why would they move back Thor: Ragnarok when Feige said it's the most important solo movie of phase 3? I don't see any sense in that.

Mjölnir;30640375 said:
Why would they move back Thor: Ragnarok when Feige said it's the most important solo movie of phase 3? I don't see any sense in that.
I guess its now an absolute setup to IW, but that seems almost like giving us too much in one go

I guess its now an absolute setup to IW, but that seems almost like giving us too much in one go

I might have misunderstood you since when you said "move back" I thought you meant after IW, which was what I thought made no sense. It would certainly be preferable to have BP before IW, but I assume they can't get going with 3 movies per year before 2017, and to get BP in 2017 they would have to put GotG in 2016.

Who knows, things might change again though, even if I don't think they would have announced the new dates if they hadn't thought them through.

Oh no, I meant back to where it was :funny:

My mistake, its not very clear!

No problem, I could have thought of that possibility if I had stopped to think more. :)

I doubt things will change again but it sure seems odd to take things fully cosmic with Infinity War part 1, only to go back to Black Panther who really should have a not just Earth based movie but a Wakanda based one.

Ragnarok just before IW1 makes sense. Too bad I have to wait so long for my precious Thor though. :(

Sucks that BP & CM got pushed back.

I've seen some people questioning why, or others saying things like "oh the minute Marvel get Spidey back they toss BP on the backburner!".

It's important to note that Marvel don't have Spidey back 100%. This is a co-production with Sony, and Sony aren't going to wait 5 years 'til after IW before doing another Spider-man (or if they were they may as well have gone solo). At the same time Marvel only has so many resources, so even if Sony is financing/distributing it Marvel will still want to give it proper attention at the creative level if they're putting their brand on it. Which necessitates pushing those other films back & Spidey getting a film in 2017.

At least BP still makes his silver screen debut next year.

EDIT: And can people not act like BP, CM & Inhumans have been cancelled in favour of never ending Spidey sequels? We're still getting the former, just a few months later than we thought.

Last edited:
The only push back that confuses and annoys me is Inhumans tbh.
I felt like Phase Three was perfect and I didn't hate the addition of Spiderman into it.
But why push Inhumans beyond IW2?

It will be interesting to see if BP gets a reduced role in CW because of this, or how big Spidey's role is. I don't think much should change in that regard, from what was originally planned.

If Spidey is in CW I don't think it'll be a big part, most likely a cameo or post-credit scene.

I think the major problem is who can now appear in the Infinity War storylines.

Does this stop Black Panther being in Part 1?
Can the Inhumans appear at all? (I'd say no)

This isn't as simple as "oh, just rearrange it", its a full plot rewrite

They're smart people, they'll figure it out. But it is at least some concern. It does seem like things aren't going to be exactly the same as they would be otherwise.

Personally, I'd be okay with the concept of Inhumans being presented in the Infinity War...like...Thanos is winning and a Terrigen bomb is exploded in a last ditch effort to stop him. I kind of like the idea of the Inhumans movie itself being a "new" thread that really kicks off Phase 4, coming as a result of the IW (despite it already technically being a minor thing in AoS)

Don't you think the Terrigen Bomb would distract from the royal family too much?

The truth is, Inhumans is another big risk. Yeah, yeah GotG was a hit I get it. But how do you do something that is similar in vein that does not come across as a complete rehash? I think there was pressure for Danvers because of Marvel wanting to dissuade the pundits from playing up the sexist angle, male driven superhero films only. But I don't see that pressure with Inhumans, and frankly, I don't see them as essential for Infinity War considering all the other characters at their disposal. I would just focus on the alien races they have or will establish by the GotG sequel. Inhumans just isn't a property that you launch PIV with, and if you have to make the film, you sort of shove it in the latter part of PIII so it isn't some kind of pivotal film or anything, ala Ant-Man. It's just too far out to lock yourself in. In the meantime, people could be demanding another MCU Spidey film in late 2019, or who knows, maybe FF falls back into their hands by some miracle. No sense locking yourself into a risky project in the heart of PIII to setup your blockbuster two part saga.

Last edited:
Don't you think the Terrigen Bomb would distract from the royal family too much?

It doesn't have to. It can just be a way into that world for the movie audience...and then the Inhumans movie can deal with the royal family on the moon...maybe dealing with a power struggle over whether or not it was a proper decision to detonate the bomb. But I get what you're saying that if you start the franchise by creating thousands of Inhumans on Earth, it lessens the impact of walking into the mist etc.

Phase 3
Captain America: Civil War (May 2016)
Doctor Strange (November 2016)
Guardians 2 (May 2017)
Spider-Man (July 2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (November 2017)
Infinity War: Part 1 (May 2018)
Black Panther (July 2018)
Captain Marvel (November 2018)
Infinity War: Part 2 (May 2019)
Inhumans (July 2019)
Spider-Man 2 (November 2019)

My guesses as to the plot/villains of these films:
Captain America: Civil War will have Zemo as the villain behind the scenes. Doctor Strange will have Mordo and Dormammu as antagonists. Guardians 2 is that it'll bring Adam Warlock and Phylla-Vell onto the team and the villain will be the Matriarch. The Spider-Man reboot will hopefully feature Shocker and Scorpion as the villains. Thor: Ragnarok will have Surtur as the big bad and Enchantress as a secondary antagonist. Infinity War: Part 1 is going to involve Thanos killing half the universe and it's up to a new team of Avengers to stop him. Black Panther will involve Klaw as the bad guy which is all but confirmed. Captain Marvel will be an alien abduction movie that would involve Mahr-Vell dying and Carol taking his place with Yon-Rogg and Doctor Minerva as the villains and Shatterax as the heavy. Infinity War: Part 2 is going to be an Avengers/Guardians/Defenders team-up against Magus. Inhumans will deal with Maximus leading the slaves against the Inhuman Royal Family with tons of grey morality being thrown around. The 2019 Spider-Man Sequel will hopefully be Death of Jean DeWolff that involves the black costume, Ed Brock losing his job and a certain cop killer named Sin Eater that will have the post credits scene that leaves EVERYONE talking.

This is my hope for Phase 4 which would be a breather episode where it's all about really great solo adventures to adapt classic stories while setting the stage for Phases 5 and 6.

Iron Man: Armor Wars (May 2020)

Tony Stark is forced to confront the son of Obediah Stane as a new Iron Monger along with his henchmen Spymaster and Ghost who leak the Iron man blueprints to the world as Zeke Stane's long-gestating revenge. It's up to Iron Man to confront his worst nightmares as he goes rogue and is forced to stop the rogue Iron Men being developed by the Controller's creepy cult, Cordco (Firepower), Hammer Industries (Sasha Hammer) and the government of the Russian Federation (Crimson Dynamo) before getting his vengeance on Zeke Stane. The catch is that Tony missed AIM, Oscorp and Prometheus Corporation all developing Iron Man armors after the credits.

Hulk: Rise of the Leader (July 2020)

Ever since the fall of SHIELD in CA:TWS, Leader has been taken off the grid by AIM who have provided him with all the resources he needs for his bizarre experiments. Well, all resources save one. He needs the Hulk for a, "psychological experiment" in order to better understand Dissociative Identity Disorder. The Leader will force Bruce Banner to confront the abuse at the hands of his father while tapping into a new type of rage, one against the world for hounding him like a monster simply for existing. A new, evil grey Hulk emerges who may be more than the Leader ever bargained for. Introducing Marlo Chandler, Jennifer Walters and Rick Jones to the cast. (Hint, Jen gets injured and Bruce's blood transfusion transforms her.)

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America (November 2020)

After Captain America is murdered by Crossbones, it's up to Winter Soldier and Falcon to unravel the mystery behind Cap's death. Crossbones was apparently not working for Hydra which digs the rabbit hole even deeper. What does Cap's assassination have to do with an extremist anti-immigrant political party in Austria called National Force and how is any of this related to the United States' failed plan to create a new Captain America during the Korean War?

Black Widow (March 2021)

Tasha Romanova finally in her own film as she seeks to atone for the, "red in her ledger" over in St. Petersberg. The catch is that the FSB aren't taking kindly to Tasha's defection and have dispatched Yelena Belova to hunt down Tasha as she seeks to make amends for her past.

Captain Marvel: War of the Marvels (May 2021)

Carol Danvers has been through a lot over the last few years. Alien abduction and that whole issue with the Magus have driven Carol to alcoholism and now her therapist may actually be a psychopath who's trying to kill her and usurp her identity. What a horrible, terrible week.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Conquest (July 2021)

You thought Ultron destroyed? Guess again. He's back along with his entire Iron Legion to destroy both the Kree and Skrull empires in order to bring the age of organic life to an end once and for all. Nova and Moondragon join the team.

Black Panther: Gorilla Warfare (November 2021)

T'Challa is forced to deal with a domestic terrorist threat as the J'Bari tribe attempts to overthrow the government of Wakanda. T'Challa must confront Wakanda's deep inequality if he wants to ensure that there is never another M'Baku to threaten him.

Ghost Rider (March 2022)

Johnny Blaze was never known for making good life decisions. Saving the life of his boss with the use of forbidden magicks at the cost of being possessed by the fallen angel Zarathos may very well be one of the dumbest decisions he's ever made. His first task is to reap the soul of a serial killer calling himself the Scarecrow. (This film needs to be a hard R gorefest. It's the only Marvel property that can't be done on a TV budget that requires an R-rating. Please Marvel, don't mess this up.)

Spider-Man: Venom (May 2022)

Ed Brock, now bonded with the symbiote is out for revenge against Spider-Man. Spider-Man's most dangerous and personal enemy debuts and he has no agenda on his mind other than defeating Peter Parker.

Doctor Strange: The Cult of Shuma Gorath (July 2022)

Paranormal investigator and sorcerer supreme Stephen Strange is hired to investigate a series of occult ritual murders done in the name of some obscure forgotten deity named Shuma Gorath. With assassin's hunting him at every turn and the fate of the entire universe hanging in the balance, the stakes have never been higher. Featuring a Lovecraftian tentacle god with a giant eye in the third act!

Thor: The Dark Gods (November 2022)

Perrikus and his dark gods were imprisoned for years by the Asgardians. Undoing the cycle of Ragnarok broke the seal upon them so they may return to bring the realms under their rule once more.

Mighty Avengers: Atlantis Attacks (May 2023)

An old friend of Captain America's from the war is tired of the effect that overfishing and pollution have had on Atlantis. Can Bucky Barnes really bring himself to stop Namor after all they've been through?

Inhumans 2

The black galaxy is on a collision with ours. What would you do if you found out that all life in both was about to be destroyed within days and you were tasked with averting it. Can you trust the man who once tried to dethrone your dynasty? This will forever go down as the movie with a talking planet with a face.

West Coast Avengers: Kang Dynasty

This is the day when evil wins. Kang has conquered the world and placed it all under his rule. Even when defeated, Kang's backup plan is to leave the world in the hands of a revived Norman Osborn who is now the director of SHIELD. Phase 5 is going to be four years of Dark Reign.

Phase 4 TV shows should be Runaways on ABC Family and Netflix series for Moon Knight, Punisher, She-Hulk and Elektra.

Mjölnir;30640375 said:

Now that Marvel are buddy buddies with Sony they don't want Ragnarok competing with the Spider-Man reboot.

And of course there's the chance that the "This is the most important solo" talk was just Feige trying to strike up interest after the lukewarm reception The Dark World got.

I was thinking the exact opposite; that they wanted more relatable, street level Inhumans to then introduce the wider world of Attilan and the royal family.

Last edited:
That sounds like you're saying it would distract from them, just that you don't think that's a bad thing. Obviously, "street-level" Inhumans are being introduced in Agents of SHIELD anyway so it's a moot point whether they need to be introduced somewhere else first. My point is it would take the focus away from the royal family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"