Picking fantasy books for movie adaptions

Airwings

Waves of air
Reaction score
I wonder what the studios in Hollywood are thinking when they decide which book that should be made into a movie, and which book that should not be made.

Were the Twilight books really that much of a "hype" before the franchise started? I can't recall anything about them before the first movie was released in the cinemas.

Other book series seem to never get the chance. I mean, look at Wolf Brother. Quite populare? Or am I wrong?
Artemis Fowl is even more talked about. The question is: why don't they make any movies out of these, or others as well?
G.P Taylor has written a couple of really dark books with christian elements, Shadowmancer was the first. He's also written a series about a boy called Mariah Mundi.

Then we have another series about Septimus Heap, by Angie Sage.

Terry Pratchett's Johnny Maxwell series has been made into a few adaptions, but not as a really big movie with a lot of special effects. Why?

They tried with Golden Compass and Dark is Rising. They flopped, yes, but at least the first one was good. I don't demand a whole book series to me adapted, just the first. That will be fine with me, as long as it is worth watching. The only thing I want to see to the end is Narnia. Hope they will make all of them, just as they did with the Harry Potters

What are your opinions, people?

EDIT: Percy Jackson was an ok movie. And it seems like wer're getting a sequel now

Last edited:
Although it would be a bit too similar to X-men in regards to powers and abilities, I would love to see a movie based on the Wild Cards series.

i could see a franchise coming out of the graveyard book by neil gaiman. i know it's only one book, but the story is very episodic, and could be split into at least 3 or four films.

I still want my Mummy movie, dammit. And not that Brendan Frasier crap. I mean a Ramses The Damned movie(which, while there is no sequel to the book...it's totally left open for one).

But do anyone of you know the Hollywood way of thinking?

The Dark Elf trilogy

The Wheel of Time series

Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series

I want a Dream Reavers Movie!

:)

It's the most badass fantasy series ever.

But do anyone of you know the Hollywood way of thinking?

well specifically on the whole twilight thing, it was very popular before the movies, it just wasnt to the stupid levels its reached now.

The thinking anymore is what appeals to 11-16 year olds anymore, and since the publishing industry has appearantly decided that guys don't read, the means specifically 11-16 year old girls.

I thought they would pick the most populare books and adapt them to the silver screen. But no, they rather take the stories that can be transformed into teen flicks.

The Sellswords trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore
The Demon Wars Saga by R.A. Salvatore
The Twilight Reign by Tom Lloyd
The Erevis Cale trilogy by Paul S Kemp, followed by The Twilight War trilogy.

EDIT: Percy Jackson was an ok movie. And it seems like wer're getting a sequel now

I hope you're joking. It was rubbish with a capital R.

I'd like to see someone do the NeverEnding Story properly. It could easily fill two movies and follow the book more closely. What we got in the 1984 version was only about 1/3 of the story.

Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series. Yeah I know, more horror than fantasy but it's still an awesome read

Hollywood's view
Can it be made with a modest budget and not a massive epic?
Will it appeal to teens?
Can it be kept to PG-13?

PG-13...why wouldn't a studio just shoot the movie, keeping in the book's content even if it did merit an R? They could edit it to PG-13 for theatre release, then put out a Director's Cut DVD with the R cut. More money for the bigwigs, right?

PG-13...why wouldn't a studio just shoot the movie, keeping in the book's content even if it did merit an R? They could edit it to PG-13 for theatre release, then put out a Director's Cut DVD with the R cut. More money for the bigwigs, right?

from what we've seen of hollywood, unless the director has pull the studio won't go for an R cut. Why spend the time doing extra scenes when they can just film the whole thing in PG-13 and save time and money...and money.
:p

Plus studios seldom look that far ahead. They focus mainly on ticket sales.

But a popular book should be made into a film, right? Doesn't that sell tickets?

"Wolf Brother and Artemis Fowl, where are you?" Come on, they can't be THAT hard to adapt?

But a popular book should be made into a film, right? Doesn't that sell tickets?

"Wolf Brother and Artemis Fowl, where are you?" Come on, they can't be THAT hard to adapt?

See, that's my belief too. Which is why I am clueless on why a Dragonlance film was never made and there is no interest in having it made...yet it is a VERY popular book series and I have no doubt it would do just as well as LOTR's in ticket sales. :/

There was an old book I read called "The Wish Giver", which was pretty cool. id like to see that

GhostPoet: Yes, and with the main characters being kids, I think it will work just fine with finding the right audience.
Sorry to say I have't read any Dragonlance yet.

PonyBoy: No, it's not a joke. Percy Jackson was/is a decent film. 3 out of 5, I guess.
But some people tend to see things only in black and white. For them a film is either great or crap.

I've always wanted Dragonlance to get a proper interpretation. A series would be great. SyFy or Premium Cable. But a long movie would be great.

Raistlin and Tasslehoff are screaming to get famous.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"