Pixar's Inside Out 2 (June 14, 2024)

Within context it totally makes sense because Uncut Gems is basically anxiety on tap but out of context this is freaking hilarious.

I am intrigued to see how well this will perform at the box office. Elemental did fine last year, but still didn't hit $200 million in North America and was 4 million short from hitting $500 million worldwide.

I am intrigued to see how well this will perform at the Box office. Elemental did fine last year, but still didn't hit $200 million in North America and was 4 million short from hitting $500 million worldwide.
Elemental turned out to be a sleeper hit but Inside Out 2 is the sequel to one of the most acclaimed Pixar films that grossed over $850M worldwide. I'm expecting it to hit $700M worldwide at minimum.

Depends on if families think Disney is just gonna put it on Disney+ the next month.

Depends on if families think Disney is just gonna put it on Disney+ the next month.
Good point but something I forgot about in my previous post might actually be more of a threat to its box office:

1713314738603.png

Those damned minions. :o

Its weird that PiXar haven't had a ginormous boX office hit in years. 2019 for me feels like ages ago.

Its not really weird as they’ve only had two real chances.

Elementals trailers weren’t good and last summer was just so damn busy if they had released at a different time I think they’d have made more money even with the so so trailers and Disney+ expectations. Those initial reviews didn’t help either.

Lightyear… It wasn’t good, it wasn’t bad it was just there. There wasn’t many of us in the theater and the kids weren’t even paying attention they were twirling and looking everywhere but the screen. Such a dull film.

I wasn’t the biggest fan the first Inside out especially that annoying Lava short but this one looks more interesting I hope it’s the true hit Pixar needs cause of Despicable Me 4 beats it…

Its weird that PiXar haven't had a ginormous Box office hit in years. 2019 for me feels like ages ago.

Remember Covid basically erased years at the movie theaters between closures, mask guidelines influencing people to stay at home, and then people just starting to gradually go back out again. I think a good estimate is it basically deleted about two years.

Irl, there’s still oddly this surreal sense of missing time since everything went into limbo. Almost like being cryogenically frozen but awake throughout it.

Remember Covid basically erased years at the movie theaters between closures, mask guidelines influencing people to stay at home, and then people just starting to gradually go back out again. I think a good estimate is it basically deleted about two years.

Irl, there’s still oddly this surreal sense of missing time since everything went into limbo. Almost like being cryogenically frozen but awake throughout it.
And let's not forget Soul, Luca and Turning Red all got screwed over by getting shunted to Disney+. Soul was a little more understandable due to it being released during the worst of the pandemic, but Luca and Turning Red were victims of Bob Chapeck's overreliance on Disney+ over theaters (Sure, they SAID Turning Red was shunted due to the Omicron strain, but by March that wasn't much of a concern anymore so I call BS). There's a reason we got the recent theatrical re-releases.

A lot the "flops" Disney theatrically had had are partly due to the damage Chapeck did (the dude had a ton of Marvel projects rushed which explains a lot) and quite a bit of them don't deserve the derision and scorn heaped on them, with the exception a few honestly deserved flops like Strange World, Secret Invasion and Eternals. They'll get their footing back and I'm sure a lot of stuff set for this year will do very well (sans Mufasa; Disney's making a huge mistake pitting that against Sonic 3).

And let's not forget Soul, Luca and Turning Red all got screwed over by getting shunted to Disney+. Soul was a little more understandable due to it being released during the worst of the pandemic, but Luca and Turning Red were victims of Bob Chapeck's overreliance on Disney+ over theaters (Sure, they SAID Turning Red was shunted due to the Omicron strain, but by March that wasn't much of a concern anymore so I call BS). There's a reason we got the recent theatrical re-releases.

A lot the "flops" Disney theatrically had had are partly due to the damage Chapeck did (the dude had a ton of Marvel projects rushed which explains a lot) and quite a bit of them don't deserve the derision and scorn heaped on them, with the exception a few honestly deserved flops like Strange World, Secret Invasion and Eternals. They'll get their footing back and I'm sure a lot of stuff set for this year will do very well (sans Mufasa; Disney's making a huge mistake pitting that against Sonic 3).

Agree with all but Strange World.

Critics and audiences as RT shows gravitated to it. It also awesomely put forth the first actual lgbtq rep in a Disney animated film; that alone in years to come will help it to age well (when we’re outside of this age of homophobic snowflakes whining about that, the sooner the better) akin to Treasure Planet and Atlantis (whose box office count it basically matches). Original animated (and live action) sci-fi has rarely done well for Disney.

While I liked Eternals, understandable I’m a rarity.

Last edited:
Agree with all but Strange World.

Critics and audiences as RT shows gravitated to it. It also awesomely put forth the first actual lgbtq rep in a Disney animated film; that alone in years to come will help it to age well (when we’re outside of this age of homophobic snowflakes whining about that, the sooner the better) akin to Treasure Planet and Atlantis (whose box office count it basically matches). Original animated (and live action) sci-fi has rarely done well for Disney.

While I liked Eternals, understandable I’m a rarity.
Strange World really half-assed the "gay boyfriend" thing and had a really stupid and bland plot. Whole damn thing was forgettable aside from Denis Quad's character being an a-hole for a good chunk of the story.

I cannot remember when was the last time I really enjoyed watching a new Disney animated film or a Pixar film. I don't know if its my age, I still check them when I have the time. I haven't seen Wish yet but I didn't like the trailers. I was ambivalent with Inside Out 1, so I cannot muster any excitement for the second one.

Maybe Finding Dory or Zootopia?

Strange World really half-assed the "gay boyfriend" thing and had a really stupid and bland plot. Whole damn thing was forgettable aside from Denis Quad's character being an a-hole for a good chunk of the story.

You'd still statistically be in the minority. Given critics gave it 72%, audiences gave it 66% on Rotten Tomatoes. It also received (although not the best or highest) a B cinemascore and 65% on Metacritic. Looking at it from purely an objective standpoint, your subjective does not factually go for all.

Adding: if anyone is wondering, this statistically puts it above 'Treasure Planet' and 'Atlantis' according to critics while in-between the two according to audiences from a metric standpoint (RT). Thus, as said in the future it will likely age the same as these two which fared similarly at the box office.

Last edited:
I cannot remember when was the last time I really enjoyed watching a new Disney animated film or a Pixar film. I don't know if its my age, I still check them when I have the time. I haven't seen Wish yet but I didn't like the trailers. I was ambivalent with Inside Out 1, so I cannot muster any excitement for the second one.

Maybe Finding Dory or Zootopia?

For me it was definitely 'Luca' and - yes, there is bias there due to the now recognized undertones in it.

10370026_022521-cc-pixar-luca-tr.jpg

I remember the poster who had a fit when people were talking about that possibility. Fun times.

People are still questioning whether Will Byers is in 'Stranger Things.'

I just really hope going forward studios drop the pretenses and not hide characters being obviously queer. Most recently in Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.

I think/hope that always being the case (not concealed) will happen in my lifetime.

Undertones? What ever could you mean? Just a harmless not bi allegory at all. :grin:

The film is basically an animated version of the 1987 film 'The Two Of Us.'

Synopsis for 'The Two Of Us' :
A bi teenage guy, Phil, falls for gay teen, Matthew, who has been kicked out of his home by his father that doesn't accept him. They decide to run away to beach side community where they meet a fellow outcast girl that joins their now trio. Phil falls for both of them. It ends with Phil going to the train station to supposedly leave with the girl, but it's revealed that he doesn't actually go - he returns to be with Matthew. In the original TV version, Phil does get on the train.

There's differences between them, but tonally and almost narratively they're the same classic queer coming-of-age story.

People are still questioning whether Will Byers is in 'Stranger Things.'

I just really hope going forward studios drop the pretenses and not hide characters being obviously queer. Most recently in Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.

I think/hope that always being the case (not concealed) will happen in my lifetime.
When the rest of the Builders Generation, all of the Boomers and most of Generation X consisting of all of the traditionally and conservative minded folk, the older and elderly white executives in Hollywood and in the audience still holding on to their outdated and harmful views, beliefs and values, all die off in the next 20-30 years, and the more open-minded and progressive folks of my and the younger and current generations take over from them, we’ll probably start really very publicly seeing and very completely acknowledging that stuff in all of mainstream media. There’ll probably still be a contingent of people railing against it or crying “wOkE!!!1!!1!”, but it will probably be even smaller and more minuscule compared to what we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"