Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain America

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65801

Twentieth Century Fox has set a June 24, 2011 release for Rise of the Apes, a completely new take on one of the studio's most beloved and successful franchises. Oscar®-winning visual effects house Weta Digital – employing certain of the groundbreaking technologies developed for Avatar – will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark will produce for Chernin Entertainment under its new pact with Fox. Acclaimed filmmaker Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist) is directing from a screenplay by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who also are producing.

Rise of the Apes (tentative title) is an origin story in the truest sense of the term. Set in present day San Francisco, the film is a reality-based cautionary tale, a science fiction/science fact blend, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

Disney•Pixar's Cars 2 is also scheduled for a June 24, 2011 release.

is this a planet of the apes movie?

is this a planet of the apes movie?

I think this is a reboot and a new take on the POTA films.

Btw, looks like this is going to be another movie Fox is rushing out to meet the 2011 deadline.

I thought this was a prequel, not a reboot.

I've long thought that a 'prequel' (so to speak), concerning how the apes eventually took over would make for good cinema. It does seem like it might be a rush job though. The coming news will be interesting.

Oh, and find a way to incorporate "The only good human is a DEAD HUMAN!"

Will this be in 3D? :awesome: :dry:

either way im a big fan of the POTA, so im anticipating this to be awesome :awesome:

now of only they did a remake or reboot of highlander id be in film heaven before i die lol

It is a prequel. Basically set in the world Taylor (Charlton Heston) left and how the ape uprising originally happened. Before the time-travel paradox started in Escape from Planet of the Apes.

The fact that I had go into that much detail basically explains why this will fail commercially and with the general public. This is 100% a niche film and a bad idea at that. And I'm a fan of the first four films.

CHUD has the details for those curious.

Last edited:
POTA produced by current day Fox = :down

I've long thought that a 'prequel' (so to speak), concerning how the apes eventually took over would make for good cinema. It does seem like it might be a rush job though. The coming news will be interesting.

I think an origins movie could be great. It sounds like it has a more social type sci-fi feel, which is awesome.

now of only they did a remake or reboot of highlander id be in film heaven before i die lol

I love the highlander. :awesome:

It is a prequel. Basically set in the world Taylor (Charlton Heston) left and how the ape uprising originally happened. Before the time-travel paradox started in Escape from Planet of the Apes.

The fact that I had go into that much detail basically explains why this will fail commercially and with the general public. This is 100% a niche film and a bad idea at that. And I'm a fan of the first four films.

LOL the new one did change "history". This definitely does follow the original. Although one could make a weak alcoholic-induced case that there are 2 planet of the apes (earth & the alternate time line planet). :hehe:

Summer 2011 is such a cluster f***
I better start saving money because there are so many movies I want to see that summer

Last edited:
Summer 2011 is such a cluster f***
I better start saving money because their so many movies I want to see that summer

Seriously!

May 6 - Thor
May 20 - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
May 27 - Mission: Impossible IV
June 3 - Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom
June 3 - X-Men: First Class
June 17 - Green Lantern
June 24 - Cars 2: World Grand Prix
June 24 - The Rise of the Apes
July 1 - Transformers 3
July 15 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
July 22 - Captain America
July 29 - Cowboys and Aliens

Jesus Murphy I'm gonna have a heart attack

Burtons film wasn't that bad, imo. It just had too many cliche' Hollywood elements added to it. I found it rather enjoyable despite some of the humor....and loved the twist at the end.

Seriously!

May 6 - Thor
June 17 - Green Lantern
July 1 - Transformers 3
July 29 - Cowboys and Aliens

Jesus Murphy I'm gonna have a heart attack

Got moved to December 2011

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if X-Men First Class ended up getting pushed back.

Seriously!

May 6 - Thor
June 17 - Green Lantern
July 1 - Transformers 3