Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually looks pretty interesting the only thing is the cg ape that looks so fake. It would be better (like someone said) if they used a man in a suit.

The cost of genetically engineering a dude that small might actually be less than hiring WETA.

The cost of genetically engineering a dude that small might actually be less than hiring WETA.

That's the price that must be paid to have cool effects in movies.:cmad:

I still don't get how there are so many apes running around in America. Maybe the drug also makes them breed more.

Man in suit? I'm sure glad some of you aren't in charge of movies. Yikes!

You know what now that I think about it that wouldn't work in this film. Nevermind.

it definitely a ton easier to build this stuff in a computer as opposed to having it built and crafted in an effects shop

Nonsense good sir. nor is it cheaper.

I think you really discredit how much work from hundreds of people goes into one really well made effects shot, much less an fx heavy film. Not that physical work also isnt time consuming and difficult. But think of it this way Gollumn in LotR tooks teams of designers, sculptors, modelers, animators, and compositors to create. On the other hand, the majority of the creatures and prosthetic work done on the thing were designed and built by one man.

Then again, perhaps Rob Botin's just that hardcore, which is entirely possible.

154x8x4.png

"You Humans Done Messed Up"

The orangutan in the shot continues to amaze me.

Which summs up my problem with this movie so far, all the other apes are far more believable looking design wise. While the cgi on Caesar is very very good, just design wise he doesn't look real to me, or less than the other apes we've seen.

Also baby Caesar I will say looks like crap.

Caesar look was tweaked to look more human.

Caesar look was tweaked to look more human.

Yeah, he is seems to be slightly more physically evolved. Which would happen if the drug was introduced while he was in the womb. His cranium would be shaped slightly different to accomodate his more evolved brain. Of course how many people is going to know that.

I'd say motion capture is a little more advanced than that. It was in its infancy ten years ago around the time the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Star Wars prequels were made. The technology really made a huge leap with King Kong, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3, and Avatar.

I totally agree.

pirates201pirates2ds090tkv0.gif

The Hobbit

hobbit001.png

Yeah, he is seems to be slightly more physically evolved. Which would happen if the drug was introduced while he was in the womb. His cranium would be shaped slightly different to accomodate his more evolved brain. Of course how many people is going to know that.

I can dig that explaination, and I'm sure it helps out the portrayal of the character, allowing him to be more recognizably emotive, however just visually it doesn't quite work for me.

Its still fantastic craftmanship however, and I am still extremely excited for the film.

Rise of the Planet of The Apes...based on real life events!

Man in suit? I'm sure glad some of you aren't in charge of movies. Yikes!

Predator is what? Something like 15-20 years old now. Aliens, roughly about the same? Do these monsters look fake as hell when you see them on-screen? Not to me they don't, time has barely touched them. And when I do watch these movies, unlike AVP with a gaint computer generated Queen alien running around, the effects aren't distracting. Hell even with Tim Burtons movie when i'm watching Tim Roth be an awsome villian, he doesn't look terrible to me. Nor am I constantly thinking about the FX rather than the character. The only time this hasn't happend to my mind with digital effects is probably Gollum and Jurrasic Park (which was a mix of both) and Terminator 2 (which was also a mix of both).

You're right...this is why Lord of the Rings cost so much money. I can't believe they genetically engineered small hobbits for that film :o

Predator is what? Something like 15-20 years old now. Aliens, roughly about the same? Do these monsters look fake as hell when you see them on-screen? Not to me they don't, time has barely touched them. And when I do watch these movies, unlike AVP with a gaint computer generated Queen alien running around, the effects aren't distracting. Hell even with Tim Burtons movie when i'm watching Tim Roth be an awsome villian, he doesn't look terrible to me. Nor am I constantly thinking about the FX rather than the character. The only time this hasn't happend to my mind with digital effects is probably Gollum and Jurrasic Park (which was a mix of both) and Terminator 2 (which was also a mix of both).

The makeup in Burton's Planet of the Apes is some of the best I have ever seen.

Burton's Planet of the Apes had AMAZING make up that still looks great today. It gets overlooked because the film wasn't received well but I applaud who ever was in charge of the makeup department for that film. That was 10 years ago...now with the help of cgi enhancements, things would look even better.

That makeup was great but you can't do that for this movie because this movie they're all still monkeys not humanized monkeys like all of the other Planet of the Apes movies. I know Caesar has a bit more of a human look to him but he's not fully humanized like all the monkeys in the other movies.

The makeup in Burton's movie was fantastic. Particularly Thade. When I look at him, I still cant tell that it's Tim Roth.

The makeup in Burton's Planet of the Apes is some of the best I have ever seen.

Roth and Helena Bonham Carter put in 110% with their movements/facial expressions

They put their acting classes to good use

When Roth flared up/got angry as the ape he really sold it.

Helena emoted the more sincere movements with rubbing up against someone or licking her hand.

The baby chimp looks pretty fake. Which is strange, since the adults look a lot more realistic.

The main ape kind of looks like the last common ancestor of humans and chimpanzees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"