Please, Pull My Thing... HARDER! (+first 3pgs of Kieron and Laura's art for THING#6)!

I prefer metaphors too, but doing away with metaphors and tackling the real issue has been in vogue for a pretty long time now. Can't really fault Winick for doing it in GL and GA, either, since GL/GA's whole Speedy-on-heroin arc was one of the chief instigators of the whole movement.

True. I'm just saying, I'd rather see a metaphore. Like what Whedon did with Buffy and Angel. There's one episode of Angel I remember. There were these demon hunting vigilantes going around L.A. and killing demons every which way. Only problem is, only some of the demons they were killing were at all dangerous. The rest were just people minding their own buisness and living their lives. Didn't think much of it now, but after a while I realized that it was a metaphore for hate crimes. And even when I didn't notice it, it influenced how I felt about hate crimes. But I didn't realize it was about an issue. That works better, I think.

Looking good, Dan. I definitely do pull your Thing...haha.

The Question said:
True. I'm just saying, I'd rather see a metaphore. Like what Whedon did with Buffy and Angel. There's one episode of Angel I remember. There were these demon hunting vigilantes going around L.A. and killing demons every which way. Only problem is, only some of the demons they were killing were at all dangerous. The rest were just people minding their own buisness and living their lives. Didn't think much of it now, but after a while I realized that it was a metaphore for hate crimes. And even when I didn't notice it, it influenced how I felt about hate crimes. But I didn't realize it was about an issue. That works better, I think.
That was a good episode. I also liked that Gunn was basically a racist until he worked with Angel for about a year. Oh, and the one where Fred's parents visit was a good metaphor for kids growing up and going out into the big, scary world, seen from both the parents' and kids' point of view simultaneously. With slimy demons. :)

Bullseye said:
Spider-Man's guest appearence should have a healthy impact on the book.

not unless it has the iron spidey suit. ill avoid that book! no ofense dan, buty i seriously dont like that costunme and how marvel is treating the character.

Dan_Slott said:
06TH003FN-color.jpg

Naughty Sue. Hanging out with Namor while Reed is fighting Blastaar. Oh wait, she's trying to prevent an oil spill.

Yeah, I noticed that Sue was hanging out with Namor, too. Reed will not be pleased, especially with their "issues" during Civil War. ;)

TheCorpulent1 said:
That was a good episode. I also liked that Gunn was basically a racist until he worked with Angel for about a year. Oh, and the one where Fred's parents visit was a good metaphor for kids growing up and going out into the big, scary world, seen from both the parents' and kids' point of view simultaneously. With slimy demons. :)

That was a good one too. I also really liked the episode of Buffy called "Zeppo." Everyone feels the way Xander did there at one point or another. But my favorite is Smile Time. Great metaphore for the evils of children's television and irreverent British street thugs calling former Irish serial killers turned vigilantes "wee little puppet men." :D

Heh, the puppet episode was hilarious.

Anyway, back to the topic. The Thing's comic is great. I like how Yancy Street is becoming more of a staple, as it damn well should be in any Thing comic. :up:

If I could afford multiple copies I'd get them. Right now, I can barely afford my pull list on big weeks.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Heh, the puppet episode was hilarious.

Anyway, back to the topic. The Thing's comic is great. I like how Yancy Street is becoming more of a staple, as it damn well should be in any Thing comic. :up:

Didn't Jack Kirby grow up on the street that Yancy street is based on?

The Question said:
Didn't Jack Kirby grow up on the street that Yancy street is based on?

It's based on Delancey street in NYC i believe. I don't know if Jack Kirby grew up there though.

Hey, I thought of another way that those of us who already have our Thing pulled regulary already can do to help out...

Pull a Thing for a friend too!

Your friends will be very grateful when they realize that you pulled their Thing for them!

It could even be a surprise!

You could pull their Thing when they're not looking! :eek:

Imagine their delight!!!

:D:up:

PS - Oh yeah, and DROP New Avengers and all Ultimate titles, that could only serve to help matters as well.

I dropped NA a while ago. But I like Ultimates. That right there's good stuff. I might drop Ultimate Spider-Man, though. Or, at least, look over it to make sure it's good. The quality tends to varry on that book.

Gambit8370 said:
Hey, I thought of another way that those of us who already have our Thing pulled regulary already can do to help out...

Pull a Thing for a friend too!

Your friends will be very grateful when they realize that you pulled their Thing for them!

It could even be a surprise!

You could pull their Thing when they're not looking! :eek:

Imagine their delight!!!

:D:up:

PS - Oh yeah, and DROP New Avengers and all Ultimate titles, that could only serve to help matters as well.
Gambit....
Dan_Slott said:
And please don't knock other titles while promoting THE THING. You don't have to tear something down to prop THE THING up.

back to Judd Winnick for a second (although we should be stickying with Thing) - I enjoy most of his works (especially Barry Ween. That book ****ing rocked and he should go back to it) and I even agree with most of the messages that he tries to get across, and I've been ok with it so far. But... it's starting to get out of hand, and it won't take much longer before me and most everybody else gets sick of the same 'social message' in every Judd Winnick book we read when we sometimes just want to be entertained

Man, if I could find the first issues of Thing and She-Hulk I would probably get them both. I just HATE getting a new series if I can't start from issue #1. :mad: :(

I'll still try to find them anyway Dan! :) :up:

Mr. Green - both She-Hulk and Thing use 1, 2, or 3 issue story arcs, not 6-issue ones like most titles seem to these days, so it's real easy to jump on. The next three issues of Thing are all stand alone. Jump in!

Dan, I gotta ask- where does Kieron get his coffee? :D

OK, you guys have convinced me. I'm gonna pull my brother's Thing. (Sorry bro)

KingOfDreams said:
Naughty Sue. Hanging out with Namor while Reed is fighting Blastaar. Oh wait, she's trying to prevent an oil spill.
I was looking at Namors costume,... Did I miss a memo?

Varient said:
I was looking at Namors costume,... Did I miss a memo?

No. He uses that one off and on all the time.

And another "thing":

Don't OTHER heroes come running to see what the FF are up to when the flair goes up?

I would've liked to see a few understated heroes to show up.

Lackey said:
I don't think he wants to get any fans mad... another way to raise sales is to deal with a social issue, the ol' Judd Winick trick. :up:
The news media will give you free advertising.
More importantly, who (or what) is your avatar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"