The Thing # 8.

Varient

Guru for Geeks
Reaction score
DAN SLOTT YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!

I really enjoyed that last issue,....
WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO YOU????? WHY ARE YOU BEING DISSED FOR TELLING GOOD STORIES?????

THANK YOU for the Squirrel Girl sighting,.... As always I enjoy her and the GLA/GLX/GLD/GLC.

The only weak part was Ben could so easily toss everybody out.
Is there something about Alicia that I may have missed?

A powerup maybe?

Remember,... it's been said in Fantastic Four that Reed breaks a sweat making sure everything Ben handles is "thing-proof" or "thing-resistant" I can't imagine Alicia being able to,.... to,... Man I'm such a prude - I can't type it because the character has always been on a pedestal for me.

Sigh.

Anyway,.. I pray your new project gives you at least HALF the freedom The Thing did,.. and it lasts a bit longer.

(chuckle moment:
"GLX"
*snap* "I don't think so - think again"

"GLD"
*KZAM* "No you're not"

(OPEN LAUGHTER)

Even if you NEVER ANSWER THIS POST I'm giving you SERIOUS PROPS for continuing to be a breath of fresh air at Marvel.

PROPS,.. PEACE,.... OUT.

:up:

my lcs didnt have it

It was a great issue. I loved the final line "so, that's it."

Actually, I was in the pub after buying my comics and a friend of mine who has never read comics but has a passing interest in the genre (though cartoons and films) flicked through this comic and was reading it laughing his face off at it. He said "If more comics are like this then I'm going to have to start getting them" - I felt bad having to explain that it's been cancelled and there really isn't a lot of things like this. So he's going to buy the trade when it comes out.

It was a really, really great issue and series such a shame that it has ended. It was one of those comic books that just felt classic and did everything right.

This brought tears to my eyes :')

its costs you 75 cents to listen to it, but there was an hour long interview with Slott this weekend at www.fanboyradio.com . It's excellent, and well worth it

Dan, you have my respect, man. You are truly one of the greats at the House there.

GREAT series. Way to make me care about a character I really didn't even think about until now.

I hope you get a damn flagship book, man.

roach said:
my lcs didnt have it
And THERE'S THE PROBLEM RIGHT THERE!!!!!

The Thing failed partially because comic stores didn't order it,.. or enough copies.

Doc Destruction said:
GREAT series. Way to make me care about a character I really didn't even think about until now.

I have to agree with you. I've never been a huge FF fan, and was slow to jump on this series. But wow, Slott really made me care for Ben and I'm really gonna miss this.:(

yenaled said:
It was a great issue. I loved the final line "so, that's it."

Actually, I was in the pub after buying my comics and a friend of mine who has never read comics but has a passing interest in the genre (though cartoons and films) flicked through this comic and was reading it laughing his face off at it. He said "If more comics are like this then I'm going to have to start getting them" - I felt bad having to explain that it's been cancelled and there really isn't a lot of things like this. So he's going to buy the trade when it comes out.

It was a really, really great issue and series such a shame that it has ended. It was one of those comic books that just felt classic and did everything right.

Elijya
SEZ: - -------------

This brought tears to my eyes :')

Let The D Rock You - http://youtube.com/watch?v=aalfNkBmLfI

Exactly,... You won't hear ANYTHING bad about it,.... But Marvel keeps Making THIS particular mistake.

unstoppable said:
how do you make something Thing proof?
(Smile)

Reed was explaining to Johnny how Ben had almost Always been a Millionaire because his care and upkeep was done by the Fantastic Four Corp. While he explained he told Johnny NOT to mess with that Airbike he'd designed for the thing because the controls were ajusted for the Things Greater Strength, Size, and Weight.

He then added as an aside that he has been bending over backwards for his friend to make his life as a monster as easy as possible,.. designing and building things to allow Ben to live as normal as possible.

Reed Richards the Character is someone I've NEVER met in real life.

Extreme intelligence coupled with honest compassion w/o arrogance with a moral center that I normally equate with the Moderately bright people I hang out with.
For some reason in RL,.. above a certain intelligence level,.. people grow butts on their shoulders.

Peace.

Sadly, common sense doesn't factor into Reed, however a touch too much modesty does.

All hail Dan Slott for giving us this wonderful comic... and coincidently, I STILL have all appearances of Squirrel-Girl!

I say we do this Irish Wake style. We get smashed and remember all the great moments we loved in this comic...

I await issue #9

*drinks massive amount of alcohol.

Cries in the corner completely knackered on schnapps and listens to chumbawumba....

"Somehow this seems so appropriate..." Passes out.

I'll just say that Thing # 8, I'm holding for my son when he gets old enough to not only read, but care for it.

Zoken said:
I say we do this Irish Wake style. We get smashed and remember all the great moments we loved in this comic...

Why not, I got a six pack of MGD.

:up: :thing:

This is what I wrote at the BOUGHT/THOUGHT. And yes, THE THING #8 was an incredible croud-pleaser and an upbeat farewell to a series that really deserved to sell better, or at least have another 92 issues.

Oh, and Spoilers. But if you clicked on a topic that had the title of a comic on it and didn't expect spoilers, that's a bit naive.

Dread said:
THE THING #8: A moment of silence, for a book that died way too soon.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Okay then. THE THING was yet another victim of "The Mighty Marvel Launch", as in it was given no support after the first issue, relying on rumor and Slott himself to try to drum up notice. Quite why the one new book Marvel launched effectively was the terrible HOWLING COMMANDOES and not this I'll never know. Anyway, this final issue of the Thing essentially wraps up his lingering plotlines in a feel-good romp that has no end of guest appearences, most notably the GLA (or is it GLC now?). Dwyer's no DiVito, but his art is still good enough for what the title desires, and I had no problems with it (hell, I'd trade him for Kuhn on MTU any day of the week). The Thing hooks up with Alicia, seems to have learned his lessons about friends and newfound wealth, pays off his debt to Mr. Sheckerberg, AND manages to have his Bar Mitzah to celebrate 13 years as "The Thing" (gosh, so does that mean in Marvel Time, 1961-2006 is 13 years? Does that mean they'd dare suggest that Spider-Man is 27-28? That's "ancient" for a "young hero"). Afterwards, Thing manages to have the best poker tournament in the Marvel Universe. Also the ONLY poker tournament in the Marvel Universe (I kid!). There are some battles, like teaming with Squirrel Girl to beat Bi-Beast and stopping Impossible Man's hiccups, whose conclusions may seem "hammy" to a modernist fan who has become used to the blood, guts, and emo-agnst of most comics circa 1997. But to those of us who need a break from that stuff, this was a humorous breather, as Slott does best. The GLC actually manage to win the tourny as they "do nothing but play cards all day, so no wonder they're actually good at it", but Thing wins out at the end with an early nighcap with Alicia. Despite being a series finale, the mood is just as upbeat and fun as the past issues have been, maybe even moreso. Slott will return with a mysterious new series late this year, and I wish him godspeed with it, because we need more writers like him having success at Marvel. THE THING will be missed, but not forgotten.

Rouses from the drunken stupor to blurt out loudly "EXCELSIOR!" then drops head back down muttering only "Christ I'm pissed."

I hope the Trade sells well enough to restart this baby.

Pfftt. My store didn't have it. I'm sick of my store and their delayed comic shippings. :mad: :mad:

The Thing is truly one of the greatest titles ever written. It's just sad to see it end like this. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"