Police search for killer after body found at Yale

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
Victim believed to be graduate student who was due to be married Sunday

This has been one of the top news in the past week, ever since Yale student Anna Le disappeared from the lab at Yale University early last week.

Police: Killing at Yale University not random act

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Police in New Haven, Conn., said the killing of a person whose body was found stuffed behind a wall in a high-security laboratory building at Yale University was not a random act.

New Haven police spokesman Joe Avery told The Associated Press on Monday that police don't believe that anyone else on the Ivy League campus is in danger. He would not say if police have a suspect, but said nobody is in custody.

Police believe the body found Sunday in the Yale Medical School building is that of Annie Le, a 24-year-old native of Placerville, Calif. She was last seen in the building on Tuesday.

An autopsy is being performed to verify that the body is Le's.

Police found the female body around 5 p.m. Sunday, on what was to have been the victim's wedding day.

Police are analyzing what they're calling "a large amount" of physical evidence.

Friends said the doctoral student never showed signs of worry about her own personal safety at work, although she did express concerns about crime in New Haven in an article she wrote last year.

"I can't even imagine someone mad at Annie, much less wanting to hurt her," Laurel Griffeath said on the TODAY show on Monday.

Another friend, Jennifer Simpson said Le, a pharmacology student from Placerville, Calif., was friendly and affable to everyone.

"If she was concerned about (it) she would have said something to someone and they would have known," Jennifer Simpson told CBS' "The Early Show." "And Jon (her fiance) would have known, her family would have known, friends would have known."

"She was a people person," Simpson added. "She loved people. She loved life. We just can't imagine anybody wanting to harm Annie."

ID card needed
The building where the body was found is part of the university medical school complex about a mile from Yale's main campus and is accessible to Yale personnel with identification cards. A network of some 75 video surveillance cameras are trained on every door.

Campus officials have said that the security network recorded Le entering the building by swiping her ID card about 10 a.m. Tuesday, and have been baffled before Sunday's gruesome discovery that she was never seen leaving.

The university planned a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Monday at the Ivy League university. The Yale Daily News says an e-mail to the Yale community invites participants to "bring a candle and join us in solidarity."

Yale President Richard Levin offered support to Le's family and her fiance, Columbia University graduate student Jonathan Widawsky. The couple was to marry Sunday in Syosset, N.Y., on Long Island's north shore.

"The family and fiance and friends now must suffer the additional ordeal of waiting for the body to be positively identified," Levin said.

Crime and safety
Le wrote an article that was published in February in the medical school's magazine. The piece, titled "Crime and Safety in New Haven," compared higher instances of robbery in New Haven with cities that house other Ivy League schools. It also included an interview with Yale Police Chief James Perrotti, who offered advice such as "pay attention to where you are" and "avoid portraying yourself as a potential victim."

"In short, New Haven is a city and all cities have their perils," Le concludes. "But with a little street smarts, one can avoid becoming yet another statistic."

Went missing on Tuesday
Le, who worked in a laboratory in the five-story building's basement, was reported missing last Tuesday. Her ID, money, credit cards and purse were found in her third-floor office.

More than 100 local, state and federal police had been searching the building for days, using blueprints to uncover any place where evidence or Le's body could be hidden.

Investigators on Saturday said they recovered evidence from the building, but would not confirm media reports that the items included bloody clothing.

On Sunday morning, a state police van drove down a ramp into the building's basement area. Authorities also sifted through garbage at a Hartford incinerator Sunday, looking through trash that was taken from the building in the days since Le went missing.

Yale students on Monday called the finding sad, but some said the discovery doesn't make them feel less safe at Yale.

"Obviously it's a city and there are safety concerns," said 18-year-old Peter Spaulding, a student from Maryland. "It can happen anywhere. You have to go on with life."

Law student Lindsay Nash of West Chester, Pa., said she doesn't sense a heightened level of fear on campus.

"There's always an attention to safety here," she said. "I think there's perception that you need to be careful regardless."

From what I've read, every Yale personnel who entered the building must have ID card, and every floor is equipped with surveillance camera. So to be able to not only killed a student in the building but to hide the body for days is rather mind-boggling.

It's been all over the news here in CT since she disappeared...I live about 15-20 minutes away from New Haven and I have a friend who works near that building

I'm curious as to how quick they can solve this case. I mean you have a security card access building which I'm guessing they can get a list of people going in and out of the building around the time she was killed.

I'm curious as to how quick they can solve this case. I mean you have a security card access building which I'm guessing they can get a list of people going in and out of the building around the time she was killed.

there's always the X factor, someone holds a door open for someone...maybe someone borrows someones ID

considering her purse and stuff was found in her office, Im thinking she was working downstair in one of the labs and it was either someone she knew or was acquainted with

Cleaned the blood, stuffed behind a wall making it difficult to find over a long period of time, disposed of clothes, and did things to the body so it's hard to identify. Whoever the perp, he/she put a lot of thought on it. Wonder if they got rid of the teeth. Fingerprints probably useless because I doubt they had a prints from her whence she was alive (although I guess you can dust one up somehow somewhere).

If I were a murderer and wanted to hide the body, I think I'd eat it.

I mean I'm already crazy, right? Why not BBQ?

:doom: :doom: :doom:

A few months ago in my home town there was a case of a man who murdered and fed his estranged wife to his dogs. They ate the entire body and buried most of the bones. He was found out when investigators found bone particles in the dog's feces and then found buried bones in what was effectually the woman's grave site.

He was sentenced to 4 consecutive life sentences.

A few months ago in my home town there was a case of a man who murdered and fed his estranged wife to his dogs. They ate the entire body and buried most of the bones. He was found out when investigators found bone particles in the dog's feces and then found buried bones in what was effectually the woman's grave site.

That's just sick, man. :barf:

As for Annie Le's killer, I think it was probably premeditated. I doubt he could've disposed the body in the wall of the basement and her bloody clothes so quickly after the murder, with all those surveillance cameras watching.

Last edited:
Well, police has confirmed that through autopsy, the body is indeed belonged to the missing student, Annie Le. They have their suspect under custody, and it's just a matter of time before they put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Feel horrible for the family. Having to wait it through like that. The fact they had to do a autopsy hints that the body was disfigured to some extent. Probably won't "see" her again. Ugh.

Clues point to inside job in Yale killing

Strangely, the police in the Yahoo! article denied that they have a suspect in custody.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Clues increasingly pointed to an inside job Monday in the slaying of a Yale graduate student whose body was found stuffed inside a wall five days after she vanished from a heavily secured lab building accessible only to university employees.

Police on Monday sought to calm fears on the Ivy League campus, saying the death of 24-year-old Annie Le was a targeted act. But they declined to name a suspect or say why anyone would want to kill the young woman just days before she was to be married.

"We're not believing it's a random act," said officer Joe Avery, a police spokesman. No one else is in danger, he said, though he would not provide details and denied broadcast reports that police had a suspect in custody.

because our AG here (Richard Blumenthal) is famous here for making sure he has all his ducks in a row with a big case like this and coming down hard on police and his office if things aren't done right...his nickname here is Super Dick, tho ive met him, he's a nice guy

Feel horrible for the family. Having to wait it through like that. The fact they had to do a autopsy hints that the body was disfigured to some extent. Probably won't "see" her again. Ugh.
Yeah, that's just horrifying... my thoughts go out to the family and friends for sure :csad:

:dry:
They made the death penalty with people like him in mind.

This is one of the sadder cases I've heard of. :(

:dry:
They made the death penalty with people like him in mind.

I don't support the death penalty, even in that kind of situation or in this kind of situation.

Does anyone know if CT still uses the death penalty?

This is one of the sadder cases I've heard of. :(
And terrifying. You just assume that a place like that is safe, especially a school as prestigious as Yale. For gosh sakes, she was last seen going into the building on a Tuesday morning, a SCHOOL DAY.

And it's supposedly a secure building, one that needs specific ID cards to get in. I made fun of my roommate once for freaking out that she left her (not-very-valuable) school-issued Dell laptop in her lab, since her lab is WAY more secure than mine. My employee ID card doesn't even get me into my roommate's building (we work on the same campus, both as researchers), and she was worried about someone making off with her Dell laptop. I thought she was being ridiculous, and as far as I know we don't have security cameras on the outsides of our buildings.

It had to have been someone who was familiar with the building, and probably someone she knew. :csad:

Awful, awful story. Very tragic, and I feel so bad for her family and fiance :csad:

Cleaned the blood, stuffed behind a wall making it difficult to find over a long period of time, disposed of clothes, and did things to the body so it's hard to identify. Whoever the perp, he/she put a lot of thought on it. Wonder if they got rid of the teeth. Fingerprints probably useless because I doubt they had a prints from her whence she was alive (although I guess you can dust one up somehow somewhere).

Too bad that she didn't have breast implants like that last woman.

:awesome:

But nevertheless, it's a sad story. :(

What kind of motive could they have had? Either somebody was really pissed at her or really was obsessed with her.

I don't support the death penalty, even in that kind of situation or in this kind of situation.

Does anyone know if CT still uses the death penalty?

Yes...it's just really tough to get it through...you have to have die hard, slam dunk evidence for it

the news here in CT is saying the suspect is probably a lab tech that had access to the building and that an arrest should come today, probably someone that became fixated on her

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"