POLL - Best Film of the 21st Century - Year 4 - 2003

I vote Big Fish, but ROTK is winning.

That's quite the lead that RotK has built there. I still have a soft spot for Old School, though, even if I can't bring myself to vote it as the best. I don't think I've laughed quite as hard as I did seeing that than I have during any other film.

Looks like the whole trilogy is gonna end up on the list...

Big Fish, personally.

The second movie was pretty damn boring and in no way are the first two films the best movies of those years. The third film was great but it still wasn't the best movie of that year.

The second film was full of Merry and Pippin and they were pretty lame. That film also just felt like it was dragging and dragging on while I felt the first and last films were paced good and of course the last film had the best character moments.

All of them had great character moments? Bilbo's birthday in the first one, the singing the pipe scene, the pub, Aragorn and Frodo, the fellowship and their interactions. And it just got better in the second one. Gimli and Legolas and Aragorn all became close. And the third just crowned it. And they made Tree Beard more interesting than the book, who in fact was boring.

They aren't all suppose to be fast movies. They take their time because it's an epic three part series. They wouldn't be as good if you cut it down.

It's fine that you're not into them, it's just they're boring is odd to me. I cared about the character off the bat. I bought into them immediately. The first being so long and after Gandalf died I was on stressed as to whom would die next.

Last edited:
Sorry but the first two were slow because they were building up to the third movie and imo the second was the most boring because it was heavy on characters I could care less about, like Merry and Pippin.

I actually have more issues with the ROTK than I do with the first two films. The dragging endings being part of it. I don't think the Army of the Dead was handled all that well, particularly in the extended edition. Gollum's origin opening doesn't add much of anything except running time. And there are plenty of other nits.

Overall, LotR is still a significant achievement and movies I'm proud to have on my shelf. They're certainly not flawless, from a purist or newcomer standpoint. I kind of wonder if perhaps the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts in regarding the film.

Sorry but the first two were slow because they were building up to the third movie and imo the second was the most boring because it was heavy on characters I could care less about, like Merry and Pippin.

For shame. :csad: Part of the character based scene involve Merry and Pippin. I guess it comes down as to how much you're into LOTR. As yo can tell, I love it. :woot:

Probably LOTR, but I voted for A Mighty Wind because I don't want it to go without any votes and I know LOTR will win.

I'm surprised that POTC and X2 aren't putting up more of a fight. Spider-Man had a very strong showing against LOTR.

I'm delighted to see a couple of votes for American Splendor. One of the best comic book adaptations at actually capturing the author's voice and style.

1.) Big Fish
2.) Kill Bill, Vol. 1
3.) Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. One of the most visually stunning movies ever. The closest thing to being an early 19th Century seaman without access to a time machine.

Wow, this was quite a year. I forgot all these movies came out in '03. ROTK takes it for me, but there are a lot of favorites in '03.

I personally think the first Pirates is a great classic-style adventure story, it's one of my favorites, along with the original 3 Indy movies and the first Mummy. Master and Commander was great as well, and really got screwed at the Oscars, simply because it came out in the wrong year, Old School was hilarious, Last Samurai was solid, and X2 is still one of the best Superhero movies to date.

Great year :up:

Bumping this up since the poll ends Monday.

I'll note that, so far, it looks like Superhero Hype and the Academy agree 50% of the time. And the two times there's been disagreement, the films were nominated for best picture.

I expect that streak will change soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"