Possible Super Bowl Spot

narrows101

Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998229.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Super Bowl push planned for film ads
Studios undeterred by economyBy
MARC GRASER

The hefty pricetag to advertise during the Super Bowl may have scared off major marketers during a down economy, but it hasn’t forced Hollywood to sit on the sidelines.

Nearly every studio will push pics during the big game, airing on NBC Feb. 1, with the movie lineup naturally made up of summer tentpoles whose studios hope to appeal to the nearly 100 U.S. million viewers that tune in to the broadcast.

Confirmed for this year’s roster are high-profile titles like Paramount’s "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," "Star Trek" and "G.I. Joe"; Sony’s "Angels and Demons"; DreamWorks Animation’s "Monsters vs. Aliens"; and Universal’s "Land of the Lost" and its fourth installment in "The Fast and the Furious" franchise. Disney is also planning to use the game to raise the profile for Pixar’s next toon, "Up," while a "Wolverine" spot is likely from Fox.

The movie blurbs will in many cases show off footage from the pics for the first time. Par has yet to unveil a single frame of the "Transformers" sequel and will use the Super Bowl to make the big reveal.

Bowing the fresh footage will generate heat for the pics considering the broadcast attracted 97 million viewers last year and consistently ranks as one of the few annual televised events in which auds pay attention to the commercials and talk about them afterward.

The Peacock allegedly raised the average price for a 30-second spot from a record $2.7 million last year (when the Super Bowl aired on Fox) to an even steeper $3 million.

That figure forced many marketers, including regulars like General Motors and FedEx, to bow out.

But studios are hardly ponying up that kind of money, media buyers say.
For example, DreamWorks Animation pacted with SoBe Lifewater and Intel to run a 90-second trailer in 3-D for "Monsters vs. Aliens," DWA’s first 3-D toon, which bows in March. Spot will have characters from "Monsters" share the screen with SoBe lizards and NFL athletes. More than 125 million pairs of 3-D glasses are being distributed by retailers as part of the promo.

NBC said it sold 85% of its ads in September, but studios were nevertheless able to negotiate a reduced fee because the net needed to fill the 67 ad slots it will air during the game.

Decision enabled the Peacock to collect coin rather than fill the time with free promos for its own shows, which it already plans on running extensively during the broadcast to "reintroduce" them to viewers.

Several studios are still holding off for better deals.

NBC has told some advertisers that it still has about 10 spots available during the game, and those could be sold at a much reduced rate.

As of Thursday, Fox had yet to buy any time during the game. Should it do so at the last minute, "Wolverine," "Night at the Museum 2" and "Ice Age" are the pics it’s most likely to promote.

Disney is remaining tight-lipped about its Super Bowl strategy, but it wouldn’t be surprising if it buys time for Dwayne Johnson starrer "Race to Witch Mountain" and Jerry Bruckheimer’s "G-Force." The Mouse House typically airs two spots — one devoted to a toon and one to a live-action release.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros. hasn’t bought a spot and may not at all, even with "Terminator Salvation," "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and "Watchmen" — pics that would all appeal to the Super Bowl crowd — on its upcoming release sked.

That’s because lowered last-minute prices could result in more movie spots than in previous years. Some studios are opting to go elsewhere with their high-profile pics, believing that while the Super Bowl certainly attracts a huge audience, some pics will have a hard time standing out amid all the other films being promoted.

While Sony will play the Super Bowl promo game with "Angels and Demons," it’s turning to Google to launch a major effort around its Roland Emmerich-helmed disaster pic "2012."

Viral marketing campaign will quietly unleash content created by the studio that revolves around the apocalypse and will likely give the pic more exposure considering that year’s expected to be heavily researched online given that doomsdayers believe it will usher in the end of the world. Among the other distributors, MGM’s lion won’t roar during the Super Bowl because the studio doesn’t have a film to promote. And despite filling its coffers with "Twilight," Summit Entertainment won’t be spending any of that new money during the broadcast to push its upcoming slate, which includes the Nicolas Cage thriller "Knowing" and actioner "Push."

I hope someone's ready and recording! Generally, here in Canada they have a separate advertising bill, so we don't get any of the huge budget commercials US networks get.

I hope someone's ready and recording! Generally, here in Canada they have a separate advertising bill, so we don't get any of the huge budget commercials US networks get.

You can see them online, some sites host all the commercials and whatnot

I live in Canada but I do get some of the East Coast American Channels, so I'll be watching that instead of the very downgraded Canadian broadcast!

That said, X-men movies have never had any Superbowl commercials so I've come to not expect much from that front.

I hope it gets a spot. Iron Man had a SuperBowl spot and it was very very effective. Sure it had more trailers and ads later that SuperBowl spot had my office buzzing about "that Iron Movie coming out soon".

Wolvie for SuperBowl!!!!

It has been confirmed that a Wolverine spot will air during the game.

I sure hope the Wolverine spot is there. I'll only watch the superbowl for the film commercials.

Wolverine & hopefully Steelers at Superbowl? Best Superbowl ever.

You can see them online, some sites host all the commercials and whatnot

You usually have to have a remote IP, otherwise it'll call you on being outside the USA and won't show the commercials online. That is, unless they're open to everybody.

For May releases, particularly early summer movies (May-mid June), there's no better time to promote your hottest movie than during the Super Bowl.

It's hard to say if Wolverine will make more money than Ice Age or Night at the Museum, but Wolverine should be the one FOX should show since the target audience for that movie (presumably males 15-55), make up the majority of the Super Bowl audience.

-TNC

It's hard to say if Wolverine will make more money than Ice Age or Night at the Museum

This is really sad, though not at all improbable. :(

That said, I'm thinking Night at the Museum 2 will be one of the biggest bombs from the summer 09 slate.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a Wolverine spot during the Super Bowl. I'll definitely be watching for it. :up:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...r+bowl+ads+wolverine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

GOING TO THE MOVIES: MEDIAPOST's Wayne Friedman reported with some perennial advertisers "sitting on the sidelines" for the Super Bowl, movie companies "that have not been affected by the economic downturn have been picking up the slack." The game is still three weeks away, and Adams Media Research Research Analyst Robert Marich "believes a few more spots could be added," including two studios that "have bought in the past and could buy again: Warner Bros. and MGM Distribution Co." Friedman noted with several movie companies already disclosing their Super Bowl advertising plans, Fox Filmed Entertainment announced it will run an ad for "Wolverine" during the broadcast (MEDIAPOST.com, 1/9). Sources said that NBC has "picked up the major studios as a hedge against shrivelling marketing budgets, taking its cues from the playbook Fox developed last year." TNS Media Intelligence CEO Dean DeBiase said that even if NBC "struggles to unload the last batch of spots, it likely will break Fox's record ad haul" of $186.3M for Super Bowl XLII. DeBiase: "They still have some time on their hands. NBC could come away with more than $200[M]" (MEDIAWEEK.com, 1/11).

I am watching the Super Bowl this year for the ads. My team (Packers) is not involved. :(

Hopefully we get some great film ads, specifically Wolverine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Superbowl ever!
New Wolverine footage & the Steelers will make football history! (First to 6 Super Bowl wins!) :D

Sweet. I hope its new footage. With DEADPOOL!

P.s 100th post! Yeaaaah

Yay. I hope we get to see more Deadpool in the superbowl spot.

30 secs? Probably just Wolverine & MAYBE a shot for Gambit & Deadpool.

Hi Anthony - no plans for a superbowl spot, no. But the next trailer should be ready in the next month or so (date TBD)

- Fox

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"