Post-Aquaman...Rank the DCEU

Eh, I think Aquaman is better than Spider-Man 3 because even though it's just as campy, at least the visuals are stunning and you didn't have multiple scenes of EVERY SINGLE MAIN CHARACTER crying. I also think the problem with Spider-Man 3 is that the first two movies raised the bar pretty high and then to close the series with a film that is "okay" at best just makes it seem all that much worse. Neither of the main villains are interesting (Sandman is a flat-out bore and Topher Venom is just irritating as hell); Harry's final transformation into a bad guy is ultimately disappointing after showing so much promise in Spider-Man 2 and the only thing more disappointing is his about face and "redemption" at the end; and Peter and Mary Jane's relationship and chemistry, never one of the franchise's strong suits, reaches all-time groan level, especially in the corny final scene.

At least Spider-Man 3 has characters you can care about and root for. Aquaman never gives the audience a reason to care about anyone on screen, it's all assumed empathy. I also think Sam Raimi is simply a much better filmmaker than Wan. No scene in AM can match the emotion of Sandman's birth (although a lot of that is down to Christopher Young's incredible score).

Aquaman does indeed have some cool visuals, but it has just as many that are either ugly or poorly executed. The lack of polish in so many sequences is why the film didn't warrant an Oscar nom. But even if the CGI was flawless for the entire runtime, it'd still only be an empty thrill ride.

1. Shazam! 9.5/10

2. Aquaman 6/10
3. Suicide Squad 5/10
4. Man of Steel 5/10
5. Wonder Woman 5/10
6. Justice League 4/10
7. Batman Verses Superman Colon Dawn of Justice 2/10

1. Shazam! 9.5/10

2. Aquaman 6/10
3. Suicide Squad 5/10
4. Man of Steel 5/10
5. Wonder Woman 5/10
6. Justice League 4/10
7. Batman Verses Superman Colon Dawn of Justice 2/10

Do my eyes deceive me? You actually liked a DC film... Hell actually froze over I guess.

1- Shazam (2019)- 9/10
2- Aquaman (2018)- 8.5/10
3- Wonder Woman (2017)- 8/10
4- Man of Steel (2013)- 7.5/10
5- Justice League (2017)- 6.5/10
6- Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice (2016)- 5/10

7- Suicide Squad (2016)- 3/10

Do my eyes deceive me? You actually liked a DC film... Hell actually froze over I guess.

I've liked (if not loved) plenty of DC films... but DECU films are a different story. :cwink:

But yes... Shazam is incredible.

I mean we are gonna have to update rankings once Shazam comes out and is in theaters; surely everyone's rankings will change

I'm expecting to rank Shazam at no. 2. Above Aquaman and the rest but below Wonder Woman.

I expect a Post Shazam thread...ranking the DCEU and if that is the case then my new updated rankings will probably be like this:

1- Shazam
2- Aquaman
3- Wonder Woman
4- Man of Steel
5- Justice League (Snyder Cut)
6- BVS Extended Version (Ultimate Cut)
7- Suicide Squad (ranking at the bottom)

1. Shazam! (9/10)

2. Wonder Woman (8/10)
3. Aquaman (7.5/10)
4. Man of Steel (6.5/10)

5. Batman vs. Superman (4.5/10)

6. Justice League (trash)
7. Suicide Squad (trash)

I walked out of Aquaman so my list would be:

Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
Batman Versus Superman
Suicide Squad
A tie at the bottom between Justice League and Aquaman. Don't make me choose.

Haven't seen Shazam yet.

I’m expecting to love Shazam but it will have to be truly amazing for me to rank it above Wonder Woman. Though that would be great if it happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"