Superman Returns Poster is Up in Theaters

Pickle-El said:
Well then, 6 Million people per week is quite a few people that are still interested in Superman-based mythology on TV every week isn't it?
Sure, if that were the only reason, but it's not. Here's two excerpts from Daily Variety articles, both dated 1/25/06. The articles were about SV and discussed some of the elements that make it such a successful show...

...Still, fealty to the spirit of the comics alone would hardly explain "Smallville's" resilience, surviving a handful of time-period shifts, including the always dicey proposition of being relocated in its fifth season, when viewer loyalty is easily shaken. Part of the show's durability stems from its playing on multiple levels to different constituencies. At various moments, "Smallville" is an action hour, sci-fi romp, teen soap, family drama and rethinking of comicbook mythology -- often all within the same episode. Small wonder that when the program was honored by the Museum of TV & Radio, the audience included children, teenage girls swooning over Welling and middle-aged men, asking about Clark's wardrobe and where the TV show exists vis-a-vis the films.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936818

...The show's ability to reach a large audience has given "Smallville" a shot at becoming the longest-running live-action superhero comicbook series in history: It's about to surpass the 104 episodes of Reeves' "Adventures of Superman" skein and looks likely to top the 120 episodes of the 1960s "Batman" next season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936819

Basically, it's SV's broad appeal. SV's fanship reaches more than just comicbook aficionados. To pigeon hole all 6 million or so viewers into such a small demographic would be like saying the only people that watched Buffy were vampire fans.

<- hated Buffy. :O

AgentPat said:
Sure, if that were the only reason, but it's not. Here's two excerpts from Daily Variety articles, both dated 1/25/06. The articles were about SV and discussed some of the elements that make it such a successful show...

...Still, fealty to the spirit of the comics alone would hardly explain "Smallville's" resilience, surviving a handful of time-period shifts, including the always dicey proposition of being relocated in its fifth season, when viewer loyalty is easily shaken. Part of the show's durability stems from its playing on multiple levels to different constituencies. At various moments, "Smallville" is an action hour, sci-fi romp, teen soap, family drama and rethinking of comicbook mythology -- often all within the same episode. Small wonder that when the program was honored by the Museum of TV & Radio, the audience included children, teenage girls swooning over Welling and middle-aged men, asking about Clark's wardrobe and where the TV show exists vis-a-vis the films.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936818

...The show's ability to reach a large audience has given "Smallville" a shot at becoming the longest-running live-action superhero comicbook series in history: It's about to surpass the 104 episodes of Reeves' "Adventures of Superman" skein and looks likely to top the 120 episodes of the 1960s "Batman" next season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936819

Basically, it's SV's broad appeal. SV's fanship reaches more than just comicbook aficionados. To pigeon hole all 6 million or so viewers into such a small demographic would be like saying the only people that watched Buffy were vampire fans.

<- hated Buffy. :O

As much as I enjoy watching Smallville....It's complete and utter trash compared to Buffy's writing and characters.

People can say all the BS they want about SMALLVILLE , but the show (even though it's a bit dawsons creek in places!) is G-R-E-A-T!!! It's a cool show, and Welling is fantastic as young Clark!!

I think there is big pressure on Singer from Superman fans, Superman comics fans, Superman movies fans, Smallville fans and press.

I will be very shocked if this movie bombs this year, I doubt it, but I would be shocked and it would probably be the biggest surprise in box office history if it did. Also if it did, I think the chances of any new Superman movie would be put on the back burner for a few years.

Michael Corleone said:
As much as I enjoy watching Smallville....It's complete and utter trash compared to Buffy's writing and characters.
Psst... Hey Michael, y'know a bunch of Buffy's writers are on the SV staff now. Just sayin'. But I didn't post those excerpts to encourage slamming of either the show(s) or the film. Was just a note to Pickle about SV's viewership and wide appeal, that's all.

Cinemaman said:
I think there is big pressure on Singer from Superman fans, Superman comics fans, Superman movies fans, Smallville fans and press.
Ya think? LOL ;)

AgentPat said:
Psst... Hey Michael, y'know a bunch of Buffy's writers are on the SV staff now. Just sayin'. But I didn't post those excerpts to encourage slamming of either the show(s) or the film. Was just a note to Pickle about SV's viewership and wide appeal, that's all.

Ya think? LOL ;)

Actually Steven S. DeKnight and Drew Z Greenberg are the only writers from Buffy to work on Smallville as of late. Greenberg left and DeKnight is still a staff writer. The rest of Buffy's writers are on NBC shows or Gilmore Girls. But several of them actually are working on Lost. The big difference here is Whedon. He wrote a majority of the episodes and if he didnt he had a major hand in the story. Sorry but Gough and Millar are certainly no Whedon.

But as for posting excerpts to encourage slamming? Well then just dont do it. I dont quite understand a lot of peoples mentality these days. It's either Superman Returns or Smallville. No one can seem to agree to like both. But also no one can seem to stray into each forum without trashing the other or speaking poorly about the production. However when someone posts critically about either production it's because they are just bitter. There seems to be a lemming effect going on in all of these forums.

By the way Pat I wasnt trying to be critical of you. Just giving contrasting opinion. If you know of other writers from Buffy on Smallville I'm not trying to argue that. :)

Uh, yeah, so I think the poster is pretty cool...

---Fifty Hundred

ah, threads going off topic. Gotta love it. Anyway, back on topic.

Retroman said:
Anyone seen the poster in theatres????:confused:

I've seen it many times in theaters. Hell, I have my own copy of the poster and I still want to smash and grab it when I see it in theaters. the poster is pretty damn impressive imo, quite the eye catcher.

If they get some hardcore trailers out, that even the non-loving comic book fan will find breathtaking, it'll attract 1000's of viewers that wasn't planning on going.. It also depends on how exstreme they are willing to go with the marketing campaign.. if they make this movie (through the PR) up to be the wildest movie experience ever, then it doesn't matter weather or not you're a fan of superman, cause even the scepticals will go see it just for the heck of it... Then if the movie truely rocks, the word will be spread, and then things could really head up...
I wonder what they're planning for the PR for this movie...Singer says it's huge! The S sield will be everywhere... I heard a while back, something about a huge S-shield-statue, spinning on a platform would be in every theater when aproaching the release.. this is gonna be way awesome!

Cool stuff guys.

Heres a couple recent sightings of the S poster (not SR, but still cool) i found.

From afterworkgamers (In Hong Kong):

Justice League

88679077_13802856fb.jpg

As with the Starwars lego photos, I was just wandering round in the shopping centre when I came across this. Dunno exactly what it's doing in a clothes store though...?! It looks nice, what the heck.

From mls4444:
81382073_24857b92e6.jpg

NYC Street Corner

81382074_500d3fc3e2.jpg

NYC Heroes

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/afterworkgamers/88679077/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mls/81382073/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mls/81382074/

Retroman said:
Cool stuff guys.

Heres a couple recent sightings of the S poster (not SR, but still cool) i found.

From mls4444:
81382073_24857b92e6.jpg

NYC Street Corner

Thats the outside of the East Side Mid Town Comics. It's located next to Grand Central Station. I love passing it, but I love going into the store even more. :D

Oh, and these 5 pictures are pictures I sent in to Superadam at Kal-El.org. They are pictures of a store display from a department store named Francos. The store is literally a block from the Empire State Building, so there are a lot of people seeing it:

Superman-display1.jpg

Superman-Display-2.jpg

Superman-Display-3.jpg

Superman-Display-4.jpg

Superman-display-5.jpg

and just to show you guys how close it is, a picture of trhe Empire State Building I took from in front of the store:
DSCN0045.jpg

Here is at the moment, the world's biggest Superman Returns Teaser Poster. Located at the WB studios in Burbank, CA.

65521318_203209239_0.jpg

It's around 30ft by 15ft, I used my cellphone camera.

Pickle-El said:
Here is at the moment, the world's biggest Superman Returns Teaser Poster. Located at the WB studios in Burbank, CA.

65521318_203209239_0.jpg

It's around 30ft by 15ft, I used my cellphone camera.

:up: :up:

nice.

Awesome pics Pickle-El and TheSuperBatFan:) :up:

503559629_l.jpg

My buddy Matt (Metropolisman) discovering the poster in the Carolinas.

Showtime029 said:
503559629_l.jpg

My buddy Matt (Metropolisman) discovering the poster in the Carolinas.

This picture is so familiar. That 30ft one is pretty awesome, big advertising.

Metropolis_Man said:
This picture is so familiar. That 30ft one is pretty awesome, big advertising.

Do you think its familiar because that is you in the photo?

the malaysians supposbly saw a new poster.

Excel said:
the malaysians supposbly saw a new poster.

I was under the assumption they saw the new theatrical poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"