First Avenger Pre Serum Steve Rogers discussion

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Lets talk about how the show the 90 pound weakling Steve Rogers before his transformation into Captain America via the super soldier serum.

steverogers1.jpg

How would you do it?

Last edited:
How about if at the beginning of the movie he already got the serum and the pre-serum part is told through flashbacks that are filmed from the POV of the character :) Perfect! :p

I suppose they'll limit those scenes to a minimum, the'll use a skinny lookalike for some shots and Benjamin Button CGI for the close ups/medium shots.

They should save their money and film the scenes last IMO.

Film it last. It'll look best if it's all real.

And using another actor is just out of the question.

How long would one actually have to wait, for a buffed up post Serum Captain America portraying Chris Evans, to slim down enough to appear all weakly? Just use CGI or a body double.

Yeah, just put Chris Evans' head on DJ Qualls body and that's that. :p

I say use CGI. This is just the sort of thing Teddy Roosevelt invented it for and we'll barely be able to spot it anyway. Plus, no health risks for the actor who might suddenly feel like he has to drop dramatically in weight in a very short period of time.

It'd be crazy to "wait for Evans to slim down", not only because it would take a while and be stressful on his body, but also because he'd have to bulk right back up again to film Avengers early next year

They'll use CGI/body double.

This exact same scenario was already handled perfectly in Spiderman 8 years ago.

I've got no worries about it.

Piece of cake for a big budget film.

And just to be clear, it was done with a body double + head replacement.

CGI and body double. Get someone super skinny. Like Bale in Machinist skinny.

CGI and body double. Get someone super skinny. Like Bale in Machinist skinny.
Ew, not that skinny please. Bale was Holocaust victim skinny - it was frightening. No need for that just to be a "weakling." Steve will probably have some other related health problems (which the serum would also fix, of course) that prevent him from being accepted, too.

CG. They did it with Tobey in SM1 eight years ago and it still looks unoticeably cg. And I'm sure there will only be one or two scenes with him with his shirt off pre serum. Definitely when he takes it, and maybe before. But we won't see much I think. It's too much to ask that for an actor to drop that much weight.

That was CGI in SM1? I always thought it looked like they painted his body to look all weakly. Has anyone got a youtube link or a pic? I need to examine it again.

interesting idea for a thread. As for the idea of waiting to do those scenes last it would probably be a bit long process to do. so i would say no to that. The easiest thing would be is to have some stunt body double come in and we see him from side/back and when ever we see face chris's is digitally put on body double actor. like how they did with that one scene in spider-man 1. Though it all counts on how many pre SSS steve scenes we get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRedCeZSho&feature=related
[YT]mVRedCeZSho[/YT]
Starts at 4:05 mark

also here is some screen caps i made from it:

peterl.jpg

peter2.jpg

Last edited:
CGI for sure. I'd rather Evans stay big and in shape for The Avengers.

Thanks for posting that Spider-Man clip again. Man, what was wrong with my eyes to think it looked cheap back then?

yea for such a small scene it was great 8 + yrs ago. and the tech is alot better now. So a stunt body double with digital chris head can easily work. plus as we know we dont know how many pre serum scenes there is. i would figure maybe 2 or 3 max. like one scene before steve goes to recuitment, one where he is discovered/early testing on him, and then final when he is transforming to present body.

[YT][/YT]
Ew, not that skinny please. Bale was Holocaust victim skinny - it was frightening. No need for that just to be a "weakling." Steve will probably have some other related health problems (which the serum would also fix, of course) that prevent him from being accepted, too.

I think Steve looking so scrawny that he seems sickly would make the film have a greater impact when he transforms. Maybe they can give him a medical condition to explain how he got so frail, but I think the image of Steve becoming Cap will be greater if the change is extremely drastic.

Besides, the comics usually show him as unbelievably skinny pre-serum.

steverogers.jpg

balejuice1.jpg

For the record, Steve had really bad asthma as a child. Not sure if that's enough to make him 98 lbs, but hell...just thought I'd mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"