Predator = Beowulf

The Joker said:
Grendel wasnt a monster...well, techincally anyway :o
well he was some kind of creature. last time i read that was in 98 in 1th grade.

LastSunrise1981 said:
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

If not, then our school systems really do suck ass.

Sorry but I wasn't...

Funny, I don't remember alien hunters with shoulder mounted lasers and yellow blood, Marines or Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Beowulf".

Neither I remember vikings in "Predator".

thealiasman2000 said:
Funny, I don't remember alien hunters with shoulder mounted lasers and yellow blood, Marines or Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Beowulf".

He didn't say they were carbon copies, he said there were plenty of similarities. Possibly enough for Predator to be based on Beowulf.

The Joker said:
Grendel wasnt a monster...well, techincally anyway :o

Yeah he was. That Grendel novel was retconning of the HIGHEST order. He's an inhuman unthinking monster and that's that :mad:.

thealiasman2000 said:

LMAO

You're confusing the story with the details.

If Little Red Riding Hoood gives granny a basket of apples or bananas, it's the same story.

to s/he who said predator was better than beowulf.....Beowulf is the firist recorded poem in the English langugage combinging pagan and christian allegories. grendel was said to be have been born of cain. it establishes the traditional three act structure with beowulf killing gendel, grendels mother, and a dragon before dying. it dealt with beasts of unknown origins ravaging a civilization, which ultimalty needed an outsider with supernatural abilities (think superman) to vanguish the evil. it has many themes other than the ones i just named that are still exploited today.

if you think predator is better than beowulf, everybody is enitled to their own opinion...even if its wrong.

amazingfantasy15 said:
Beowulf was writen/passed down long before Christainity existed.

It's basest influences were, but the story really formed after Chritianity was around. The characters are pagan though. Also, it was written ca. 900-1000CE

Kaboom said:
to s/he who said predator was better than beowulf.....Beowulf is the firist recorded poem in the English langugage combinging pagan and christian allegories. grendel was said to be have been born of cain. it establishes the traditional three act structure with beowulf killing gendel, grendels mother, and a dragon before dying. it dealt with beasts of unknown origins ravaging a civilization, which ultimalty needed an outsider with supernatural abilities (think superman) to vanguish the evil. it has many themes other than the ones i just named that are still exploited today.

if you think predator is better than beowulf, everybody is enitled to their own opinion...even if its wrong.

Exactly. And yet who gets all the movies and TV shows? ****ing Tarzan-! ;)

amazingfantasy15 said:
Beowulf was writen/passed down long before Christainity existed.

"he prospered under heaven, won praise and honor, until the men of every neighboring tribe across the whales way were obliged to obey him and pay him tribute. he was a noble king! then a son was born to him, a child in the court, sent by God to comfort the Danes; for He had seen their dire distress that once they suffered harship for a lng whilelacking a lord, and he Lord of Life,King of Heaven, granted this boy glory; Beow was renowned the name of Scyld's son became known throughtout the Norse lands."

- Beowulf, lns. 8-19, capitalization original.

"this gruesome creature was called grendel notorius prowler of the borderland, ranger of the moors, the fen and the fastness; this cursed creature lived ina monster's lair for a time after the Creator had condemned him as one of the seed of Cain - the Everlasting Lord avenged Abel's murder. "

-Beowulf, ln. 102-8, capitalization original.

...and the above is just in the first two pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"