Producer Lauren Shuler Donner talks Wolverine & Deadpool

[A]

Avenger
Reaction score
from the main site (http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=7712)

The secrets behind the origins of Marvel Comics' most popular mutant Wolverine remained murky and mysterious in the comic books for decades, and the filmmakers behind X-Men Origins: Wolverine have also been working furiously to keep the curtain drawn on Logan's cinematic beginnings before the movie bows next May.

But ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! had a red carpet encounter with the film's producer, Lauren Shuler Donner (who also oversaw the "X-Men" films as well as a diverse assortment of features, from Pretty in Pink to Free Willy to You've Got Mail to the upcoming The Secret Life of Bees), and with a minor pop of the claws in her direction she gave up a few details on Logan's first solo outing on the big screen – and a possible spin-off for the "Merc with a Mouth," Deadpool.

CS/SHH! What's the latest you can tell us about Wolverine?
Lauren Schuler Donner: May 1st, 2009! I guess it's closer to the first "X-Men" in tone because it's a little darker, but there's a lot of action. It's his origin story. It's really good. I've been in the editing room the last couple of weeks and I think that it's good and that audiences are going to like it. But it's a little darker.

CS/SHH! How is Hugh Jackman's interpretation of the character different or new, compared to what we've seen in the "X-Men" films?
Schuler Donner: Well, you haven't seen this side of him. It's darker and sadder and it's kick-ass. There's a ton of action. It's really kick-ass.

CS/SHH! How was working with Gavin Hood as the director?
Schuler Donner: It was fun. It was good. I like taking someone out of the indie world and bringing someone into the action world because it grounds the movie. It gives it a reality. It gives it an emotional core, and then you can have as much fun and action in it as you want.

CS/SHH! This was Gavin's first time playing with really big cinematic toys. Was there a learning curve on that for him?
Schuler Donner: Yeah. He had a learning curve, but the thing basically for the director, honestly, it's sort of like, "Here's what I want..." and then the visual FX guys create that. Then it's like, "No. I want it more like this or like that." A director doesn't have to know how to do it. They have to know about lighting and shooting someone against green screen and that sort of stuff, but in terms of actually creating it, we do that.

CS/SHH! And Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool.
Schuler Donner: Yes. Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool... he plays Wade Wilson.

CS/SHH! Is that in hopes of a "Deadpool" spin-off film?
Schuler Donner: I hope so. I really hope so. He's so good at it.

CS/SHH! Are there any comic book storylines in particular that the movie is drawing from?
Schuler Donner: There's an "X-Men: Origins" that some of it is pulled from, and then it's sort of an amalgamation of some of them. But "X-Men: Origins" sort of goes back into his young, young past, and we started there. [Note: Schuler Donner is referring to the 2001 Origin miniseries by Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, Paul Jenkins, Andy Kubert and Richard Isanove].

CS/SHH! And is the Stan Lee cameo obligatory at this point, even though he didn't personally create Wolverine?
Schuler Donner: Well, we shot in Australia, and so we don't have a Stan.

CS/SHH! Oh no... Maybe he can get placed in the background digitally?
Schuler Donner: Yeah, I know. Oh, you know what, we're doing some additional shooting in January and that's a good idea. I love Stan!

CS/SHH! And on a personal note... you're about to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
Schuler Donner: Yes, I am. I'm so excited.

CS/SHH! What's it like getting THAT phone call?
Schuler Donner: I was literally jumping up and down. I'm from Ohio and who gets a star, really?

CS/SHH! You expect people in your movies to get them, but...
Schuler Donner: Oh, of course. I went to Halle Berry's and that was cool, but me? It's great. And my husband (Superman director Richard Donner] is getting one and they're going to be next to each other. It's so great. I'm so excited.

Hmm, looks like Stan was jumping to conclusions at Comic-Con, or maybe Donner doesn't quite know. I feel despite sheperding the franchise early on she and Ralph Winter have been shut out by Fox like Singer following X2.

^This all sounds great, but no doubt Fox will find some way to mess it up, it sounds like they have a really good, emotional movie at moment, but Fox will edit it down to remove all emotion and story just as they usually do.

Hmm, looks like Stan was jumping to conclusions at Comic-Con, or maybe Donner doesn't quite know. I feel despite sheperding the franchise early on she and Ralph Winter have been shut out by Fox like Singer following X2.
No, it's nothing like the situation with Bryan Singer. His involvement with the franchise ended with X2. Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter were producers for X3 and now this. Ralph Winter arrived in New Zealand just before they started shooting and we've read of Richard Donner visiting his wife on set in Australia. Of course, we can't tell if they were on-set every day or if they delegated duties to someone else but there's been nothing to suggest they've been shut out.

If you watch some of the interview clips with Hugh Jackman from Comic-Con, it's clear that a Stan Lee cameo hadn't been filmed at that time. There's been no filming since, so for now, no Stan Lee. He wasn't in X2, either.

From the article, sounds like they're doing pickups in January.

Yup. Good interview. I'm glad to hear her talk about the film.

Nice to know it's darker, and that there's more filming to go (pickups/reshoots) :up:

Last edited:
^This all sounds great, but no doubt Fox will find some way to mess it up, it sounds like they have a really good, emotional movie at moment, but Fox will edit it down to remove all emotion and story just as they usually do.

Negativity at its worst.

Negativity at its worst.

You are just going to support every Fox/X-men film at this point... many posters have been here for some time and have seen first hand what Fox has done with this franchise. So the cynicism is well merited so in the mean time I suggest you just ignore it if you think it will hamper your enjoyment of this film. Just don't call other posters out for feeling this way.

CS/SHH! And Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool.
Schuler Donner: Yes. Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool... he plays Wade Wilson.

I guess the "...he plays Wade Wilson" means that the character will only appear in his human form. Good thing though, no need to rush things out with Deadpool. Let them introduce him in Wolverine and then have the experiment and his transformation in a spin off.

You are just going to support every Fox/X-men film at this point... many posters have been here for some time and have seen first hand what Fox has done with this franchise. So the cynicism is well merited so in the mean time I suggest you just ignore it if you think it will hamper your enjoyment of this film. Just don't call other posters out for feeling this way.

There is no valid reason to condemn this movie before actually SEEING IT.

Its called assuming.

Its called being negative for no good reason.

The little that we've seen was great, the casting for the film was a dream, the director has some impressive credits...

When I see something bad like for example - THE FILM, then I'll begin to spread negativity all over the place.

Its called assuming.

The little that we've seen was great, the casting for the film was a dream, the director has some impressive credits...

When I see something bad like for example - THE FILM, then I'll begin to spread negativity all over the place.

Everyone needs to understand that there will be negative views and positive views when following a film, long before it's actually released in theaters. There's no sense making an argument out of it. You may think he's being negative for no good reason, but he may think you're being positive for no good reason. Just debate and discuss why you like (or don't like) what you see. That's the purpose of the forum - not everyone will share your opinion, but everyone is entitled to their own.

I for one am fine with no Stan Lee cameo. I hate when these movies include Stan just because it's Stan Lee. And second, he didn't even create any of these characters that are in this movie except for Blob.

Guys STAN LEE DID NOT CREATE WOLVERINE. Why would it need a freaking Stan Lee cameo? I'm sorry but Boo-urns to that interviewer who does not know his comics.

Lauren Shuler Donner didn't seem to know what she was talking about when she was referring to the comics either. I don't mean disrespect, but I've never really trusted her with this franchise.

Why do people care about a Stan Lee cameo in this movie? Wolverine's not a Stan Lee book or character. I don't think Stan Lee even wrote a Wolverine story in his entire life, though someone please correct that if its wrong.

Stan Lee didn't have a cameo in X2 either.

Did he have a cameo in X-1? I don't recall.

I've grown tired of Stan Lee being shoehorned into the movies. No offence to Stan, he was a pioneer and all that, but I don't want him popping up in every Marvel-related film.

Lauren Schuler Donner said:
[About a "Deadpool" sequel starring Ryan Reynolds]I hope so. I really hope so. He's so good at it.
I think I'm mainly going to see this movie because of Reynolds and Deadpool. I hope they do delve into the physce of the character rather than having him as purely comic relief.

Lauren Schuler Donner said:
There's an "X-Men: Origins" that some of it is pulled from, and then it's sort of an amalgamation of some of them. But "X-Men: Origins" sort of goes back into his young, young past, and we started there.
And so the movies make the same mistake that the comics did.

And second, he didn't even create any of these characters that are in this movie except for Blob.
And Cyclops if he makes the final cut.

I love Stan but personally i feel he should only do cameos in the movies of the characters he created. Wolverine and pretty much every other character appearing in this film aren't his creations. That said, Shuler-Donner's comments do sound a bit odd since Jackman and Lee himself announced the cameo at Comic Con. Perhaps she doesn't want to spoil the 'surprise' or maybe it hasn't been filmed yet?:huh:

It's nice to hear from Donner though it´s a shame nothing was asked about the status of a potential X4 and two other X-Men spinoffs.:o

Wonder what the purpose of the additional filming is? More action for fanfavorites Gambit and Deadpool perhaps?

Stan Lee is the marvel god. He should be able to appear in every Marvel movie he wants.

Stan Lee is the marvel god. He should be able to appear in every Marvel movie he wants.

Just because he was creator/pioneer doesn't mean he's the best. The man that created the guitar would not in the top 10 greatest guitarist of all time.

Its called assuming.

Why be optimistic when Fox gave us absolutely nothing with X-3? I mean everyone has their own opinions but X-3 is widely regarded as one of the biggest disappointments/failures of the genre by many posters here. Besides not everything we have been hearing has been good... seems like much of the same old... Rothman up the directors ass like he was in during the entire production of X-3 being just one of many examples.

I'm glad to hear that the movie is darker in tone. I also don't mind if Stan Lee doesn't make a cameo in this movie, as his appearances have become a bit ham-fisted.

I've been in the editing room the last couple of weeks and I think that it's good and that audiences are going to like it. But it's a little darker.

why does she say "but is a little darker" as it was a bad thing?

I guess it's closer to the first "X-Men" in tone because it's a little darker, but there's a lot of action.

It's darker and sadder and it's kick-ass. There's a ton of action.

It gives it an emotional core, and then you can have as much fun and action in it as you want.

Why does she talk about Action like if that was the most important issue?

does anyone of the Fox crew & producers care about other thing appart from the action in the x-men movies? :huh:

why does she say "but is a little darker" as it was a bad thing?

Why does she talk about Action like if that was the most important issue?

does anyone of the Fox crew & producers care about other thing appart from the action in the x-men movies? :huh:

It sounds to me like she didn't really know what was going on and didn't have anything else to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"