Prudishness and continuity?

Herofan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Why was Batman: Son of the Demon officially considered out-of-continuity for so long?

Is it because editor Denny O'Neil or someone higher-up at DC hated that Batman had sex and/or that that sex let to a child that was later given up? Was that considered too controversial and not sufficiently role model-y for Batman?

Why was Batman: Son of the Demon officially considered out-of-continuity for so long?

Is it because editor Denny O'Neil or someone higher-up at DC hated that Batman had sex and/or that that sex let to a child that was later given up? Was that considered too controversial and not sufficiently role model-y for Batman?

The book was edited by Dick Giordano, so it had most likely begun conception in pre-crisis days. But Mike W. Barr (the writer) has gone on record and said that Warner Bros. themselves did not want to see that child again. And also someone (also Barr?) claimed that Denny O'Neal thought that the death of his parents made Batman impotent or something... True story!

Funnily enough I wondered the same thing myself recently after rereading my original hardback for the first time since it came out. I know that Morrison kinda used it, although he got a few things confused as by his own admission he didn't reread it before launching Damian. Gotta say though that I'm not a fan of BSotD. It's a nice edition to own - with a glorious cover painting by Jerry Bingham - but I remember not liking the story when I first read it and tbh I still don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"