Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Back to the upcoming gen, it feels like the XSX is going to be light on games for the first couple of years. After that though the momentum should build quite quickly with old school exclusives, new studio exclusives and Zenimax-related studio output all contributing. There should be a good number of big games every year past a certain point.

I didn’t know PS controllers worked on pc too. Is that for all games where an Xbox controller would work? If so I might do this as I like the PS4 controller, and for the sake of variety lol.
Yes, the DualShock 3/4 are supported on Windows (both wired and Bluetooth). Steam officially supports PS4 and Switch Pro controllers with some minimal configuration.

For non-Steam games, you'll have to use DS4Windows by Ryochan (don't use Jays2Kings's version because it's outdated).

Just a warning: PS4 button prompts don't display on the screen unfortunately because developers don't bother adding the icons since Xbox is the default controller on PC...

I didn’t know PS controllers worked on pc too. Is that for all games where an Xbox controller would work? If so I might do this as I like the PS4 controller, and for the sake of variety lol.
You can play psnow for pc, so I'm guessing that's why you can the use dualshock on pc.

Looks like they announced the official upgradable SSDs for the SeX's. Looks to be $215 fo a 1 TB SSD, if you want to get an idea of how much they are losing on the consoles.

Looks like they announced the official upgradable SSDs for the SeX's. Looks to be $215 fo a 1 TB SSD, if you want to get an idea of how much they are losing on the consoles.
Ouch! Expected, but still pricey. I wonder what the "off-the-shelf" compatible ssds for the PS5 will cost. Hopefully a little cheaper since they won't be proprietary.

That price also makes the $300 Series S look like less of a bargain, considering the weaker specs, no disc drive, 500gb internal. You'll be running out of space faster, meaning you'll be more likely to buy that $215 expansion ssd. Bringing the total cost of your Series S up to $515.

But, for $500, you could have just bought the Series X, got 1tb of space to start with, along with the beefier specs and the disc drive.

it's Gen 4 NVMe SSDs so it's not that overpriced.

and you can keep using your USB 3.1 external drive and transfer next gen games to the internal drive when you want to play them.

Ouch! Expected, but still pricey. I wonder what the "off-the-shelf" compatible ssds for the PS5 will cost. Hopefully a little cheaper since they won't be proprietary.

That price also makes the $300 Series S look like less of a bargain, considering the weaker specs, no disc drive, 500gb internal. You'll be running out of space faster, meaning you'll be more likely to buy that $215 expansion ssd. Bringing the total cost of your Series S up to $515.

But, for $500, you could have just bought the Series X, got 1tb of space to start with, along with the beefier specs and the disc drive.
Series S is better for casuals who only play the latest CoD, FIFA, Madden etc and don't need much hard drive space outside of that. Any regular gamer should be going for the X, even if they wait for it to get cheaper.

Series S is better for casuals who only play the latest CoD, FIFA, Madden etc and don't need much hard drive space outside of that. Any regular gamer should be going for the X, even if they wait for it to get cheaper.
true. but I bet even casual gamers will be surprised as to how fast that 500gb will fill up. especially considering the actual space is less than 500gb.

true. but I bet even casual gamers will be surprised as to how fast that 500gb will fill up. especially considering the actual space is less than 500gb.
I had 8TB hard drive last gen and 2TB the gen before. To get big sizes with SSDs now is just ridiculously expensive. A consequence of the major benefit of moving to SSD.

I imagine we have a few years before we get 500gb games....

Sony already said that for ps5 games, that players could pick which features they want to install. If only I want campaign then I could not install the multiplayer and other sections of the game. Not sure though which game is getting this option first.

Anyway, 500 gb is good enough if you don't play more than 5 games per week or a month.

My issue is more on installing as that sometimes take hours and you always need to install updates.

I prefer to be able to load up a game and play it as quickly as possible, which is literally what Sony is trying to do with the PS5. The problem then becomes the limitations of having only 500gb to 1tb of space when games regularly are hitting or passing 50gb each in the current gen. The next gen could easily double that in no time and having to take a game off of one harddrive to put on another can take time, even if they are SSD's when you're looking to move a 50gb+ game.

I imagine we have a few years before we get 500gb games....
Sure if devs are lazy. CoD Warzone gets bigger and bigger with updates. I read some players are sitting at 200+ GB for that game alone.

CDPR released the requirements for Cyberpunk on PC and it requires 70 GB of storage while Avengers needs 90 GB... :shrug:

I prefer to be able to load up a game and play it as quickly as possible, which is literally what Sony is trying to do with the PS5. The problem then becomes the limitations of having only 500gb to 1tb of space when games regularly are hitting or passing 50gb each in the current gen. The next gen could easily double that in no time and having to take a game off of one harddrive to put on another can take time, even if they are SSD's when you're looking to move a 50gb+ game.
This is why I got an 8TB last gen. I would have got a massive external SSD this gen if they weren’t so expensive.

I have a 8TB on my PS4 as well for that very reason. Unfortunately it is not possible with the PS5, yet.

yep.
Xbox doesn't have any presence in Japan but hey i have been enjoying my Xboxes for more than a decade so i don't care lol
Nice! Was it easy to get your preorder in?

I'll be going for PS5 whenever the time comes.

And I mean besides, I've never owned anything other than PlayStation consoles, so why stop now? :D

no, i just got lucky. :yay:
Nice. I heard there were issues with availability. Surprising as I thought Japan only sold about 2 Xbox consoles in its history. :D

Maybe they kept supply very low.

Got my PS5 pre-ordered last week. I'm buying games leading up to December and even though I'm picking it up at launch, I won't open it until Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"