Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

IPs are where it's at now, for sure. Unless someone tanks the IP (Mass Effect immediately springs to mind followed by Dead Space, where I am nearing the end of DS3 and the franchise).

well, if the Bioware ips ever go up for sale, whoever acquires them would certainly get my attention.

They are doing the right thing to make the most money out of their user base for sure, with so many big exclusives that people are willing to pay up for. At some stage though (possibly by PS6 time) the comparison will be does someone buy 10 games for $70 per year and let’s say, sell them for half price. Spending $350 net per year for those 10 games vs a higher priced gamepass of $30 a month at roughly the same annual cost. But then you will get all of Microsoft’s first party for life past and future including all new titles on day of release.

The value proposition will shift as the years go by, especially as all the studios they bought as well as the Zenimax ones start coming out with regular content. Gamepass is a long term investment for them and it might pay of and it might not and companies need to be on the right side of moves like that. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

If Sony thinks there's more money to make by releasing new games straight to Psnow, then it wouldn't surprise me if they follow Microsoft's strategy. But for now, there aren't in that position yet. We are not yet in that period in which streaming and downloading from a subscription service is the norm for playing new games.

I personally would like to try PsNow, but its not even available here.

They are doing the right thing to make the most money out of their user base for sure, with so many big exclusives that people are willing to pay up for. At some stage though (possibly by PS6 time) the comparison will be does someone buy 10 games for $70 per year and let’s say, sell them for half price. Spending $350 net per year for those 10 games vs a higher priced gamepass of $30 a month at roughly the same annual cost. But then you will get all of Microsoft’s first party for life past and future including all new titles on day of release.

The value proposition will shift as the years go by, especially as all the studios they bought as well as the Zenimax ones start coming out with regular content. Gamepass is a long term investment for them and it might pay of and it might not and companies need to be on the right side of moves like that. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
There are definitely pros and cons to the Gamepass model.

It certainly does offer value. And depending on your gaming and game buying habits, it could save you money.

However, the thing to keep in mind with Gamepass, is that it does not include every 3rd party game released. So, you could potentially still need to pay $70 for each of those games, in addition to your monthly Gamepass subscription. And that just further adds to your gaming costs for the year.

Also, there's the issue of buying games to own vs "renting" games through a subscription service like Gamepass. If you pay $70 for a game, you bought it and you own it for life. You can add it to your physical collection or sell/trade it in towards something else later on. With a subscription service, you are paying the monthly/yearly cost, but never truly owning any of those games. And, if they aren't 1st party studio titles, they can be removed from the service at any time.

Also, a lot of the games on Gamepass are older titles, which you could probably buy for cheap prices at a store. Or, by the time a 3rd party title gets added to Gamepass, it could very well be on sale at a store.

So, if you only buy, and pay the full $70 for, a select few big titles per year, while waiting for other games to go on sale, paying a monthly fee to Gamepass may not necessarily make a lot of sense. Especially if most of the games on Gamepass don't interest you or you could buy them for cheap anyways at a store.

For Gamepass to be truly worth its price, MS will have to ramp up to the point where their 1st party studios are producing on average 4-5 titles per year. As well as if MS can get major 3rd party titles day one on Gamepass.

Yeah thats my issue,aswell. I could probably play only 2 to 3 games per month unless the games are really short. You can't really save your games after your subscription is over and I don't even buy games digitally as I prefer a physical copy. Plus ps4 games cut their price in siX months. In 1 year its under 30 dollars and I could buy them at any point, instead of reminding myself that I need to pay monthly for a subscription service in which I would be just be renting games. Ps3 games on psnow are only streaming, so thats another issue.

Series X on day one, hopefully.
but i will get PS5 down the line for sure. PS5 slim maybe?

There are definitely pros and cons to the Gamepass model.

It certainly does offer value. And depending on your gaming and game buying habits, it could save you money.

However, the thing to keep in mind with Gamepass, is that it does not include every 3rd party game released. So, you could potentially still need to pay $70 for each of those games, in addition to your monthly Gamepass subscription. And that just further adds to your gaming costs for the year.

Also, there's the issue of buying games to own vs "renting" games through a subscription service like Gamepass. If you pay $70 for a game, you bought it and you own it for life. You can add it to your physical collection or sell/trade it in towards something else later on. With a subscription service, you are paying the monthly/yearly cost, but never truly owning any of those games. And, if they aren't 1st party studio titles, they can be removed from the service at any time.

Also, a lot of the games on Gamepass are older titles, which you could probably buy for cheap prices at a store. Or, by the time a 3rd party title gets added to Gamepass, it could very well be on sale at a store.

So, if you only buy, and pay the full $70 for, a select few big titles per year, while waiting for other games to go on sale, paying a monthly fee to Gamepass may not necessarily make a lot of sense. Especially if most of the games on Gamepass don't interest you or you could buy them for cheap anyways at a store.

For Gamepass to be truly worth its price, MS will have to ramp up to the point where their 1st party studios are producing on average 4-5 titles per year. As well as if MS can get major 3rd party titles day one on Gamepass.
I also think the Gamepass model would only really takeover (well that's at least to their customers) IF Microsoft stops releasing their games on physical discs and other platforms and only release them in their Gamepass service. But aside from Nintendo and Sony who won't release their games in Microsoft's gamepass. Are other companies like Capcom, Ubisoft, T2, WB and Square EniX releasing their games day 1 on Xbox Game Pass?

I recently watched Gameranx's video about this and I couldn't disagree more. Bethesda isn't the grand Lord of game studios. Elder Scrolls is still years away. The last Fallout is infamous and Doom isn't GTA or Minecraft. There isn't going to be a NetfliX for games. First, NetfliX isn't what it used to be as major film/tv studios have launched their streaming app and abandoned NetfliX. Secomd, streaming a movie/tv episode isn't the same as streaming/downloading a game. It would still take at least 30 minutes to install a game especially if the game is over 50 gb.

So yeah companies have to abandon releasing physical discs or selling them digitally before a subscription/rent service completely takes over. Thereare still lots of places where downloading games isn't so fast.

I also think the Gamepass model would only really takeover (well that's at least to their customers) IF Microsoft stops releasing their games on physical discs and other platforms and only release them in their Gamepass service. But aside from Nintendo and Sony who won't release their games in Microsoft's gamepass. Are other companies like Capcom, Ubisoft, T2, WB and Square EniX releasing their games day 1 on Xbox Game Pass?

I recently watched Gameranx's video about this and I couldn't disagree more. Bethesda isn't the grand Lord of game studios. Elder Scrolls is still years away. The last Fallout is infamous and Doom isn't GTA or Minecraft. There isn't going to be a NetfliX for games. First, NetfliX isn't what it used to be as major film/tv studios have launched their streaming app and abandoned NetfliX. Secomd, streaming a movie/tv episode isn't the same as streaming/downloading a game. It would still take at least 30 minutes to install a game especially if the game is over 50 gb.

So yeah companies have to abandon releasing physical discs or selling them digitally before a subscription/rent service completely takes over. Thereare still lots of places where downloading games isn't so fast.
Sadly, I expect the future to be digital. But even with digital, I'd prefer to pay once and buy and own the game rather than subscribe to rent with no ownership.

Well, after spending all day yesterday trying to preorder the Series X off-and-on with no luck, I'm just glad I managed to secure a PS5 last week. I'm not going to spend anymore time on this preorder nonsense, and now I'll just hope my PS5 order stays in effect with no issue.

This was my first time preordering a console. And honestly, if it's going to be like this, I don't think I will do it again. This is an ordeal I do not want to experience ever again.

If Sony thinks there's more money to make by releasing new games straight to Psnow, then it wouldn't surprise me if they follow Microsoft's strategy. But for now, there aren't in that position yet. We are not yet in that period in which streaming and downloading from a subscription service is the norm for playing new games.

I personally would like to try PsNow, but its not even available here.
Oh, do you know if there are any plans to add it?

So anyone buying a Series X now because of this merger?
Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI are my most anticipated games, so i'm very tempted but at the same time, my brother may sell me the 2nd most powerful graphics card in the world (literally right under the new 3080) for a mere 350 bucks in a few months and they may be too good of an offer to pass up. currently have a GTX 970 Graphics Card. So the future of bethesda games for me may very well be on the PC. I'll have Playstation 5 and PC, so when you look at the bigger picture, there's really no need for me to get an Xbox. we'll see.

Last edited:
Sadly, I expect the future to be digital. But even with digital, I'd prefer to pay once and buy and own the game rather than subscribe to rent with no ownership.
Ten years from now, majority would be digital only well at least in 1st world countries. But like musicians with their cds/vinyls/limited cassettes for every new album release - big games (or games from majorcompanies) would still get those 2 to 4 different physical editions. Its extra sales.

I think game pass would really take off IF games aren't getting bigger and bigger in file size and if its quicker to just uninstall and install and internet speed isn't an issue. Its different from movies/tv shows in which you don't need the thing to be 100% downloaded to play the thing.

Just looked it up and my country already has psnow.

Personally I still prefer to buy a game that will be mine, and not be tied to a monthly gaming subscription service especially there are weeks/days that I don't feel like playing.

You wouldn’t have to install games if you’re streaming would you? Microsoft would benefit from no discs yeah, although platforms outside Xbox that use gamepass would be fine. ie not something like Steam.

The other issue is that Netflix were first to market which is a big advantage but also had no content. They’ve had to invest a fortune to make new content now, but really (apart from sheer quantity) it’s the cream of the crop like Stranger Things that gets people to subscribe and to date they got away with that being enough. If any of the traditional console giants go all in on streaming they will have a massive amount of content that the likes of Apple and Google won’t yet have, as well as a loyal base ready to go. I think there’s a big market for gamepass-like services.

Companies also prefer stable monthly earnings rather than less predictable monsters with big spikes and downtimes.

Just looked it up and my country already has psnow.

Personally I still prefer to buy a game that will be mine, and not be tied to a monthly gaming subscription service especially there are weeks/days that I don't feel like playing.
That’s cool. I’m sure there are many others who feel the same as you. These services are being aimed at those who would benefit from them most and it will be interesting to see how large that potential audience is over time.

You wouldn’t have to install games if you’re streaming would you? Microsoft would benefit from no discs yeah, although platforms outside Xbox that use gamepass would be fine. ie not something like Steam.

The other issue is that Netflix were first to market which is a big advantage but also had no content. They’ve had to invest a fortune to make new content now, but really (apart from sheer quantity) it’s the cream of the crop like Stranger Things that gets people to subscribe and to date they got away with that being enough. If any of the traditional console giants go all in on streaming they will have a massive amount of content that the likes of Apple and Google won’t yet have, as well as a loyal base ready to go. I think there’s a big market for gamepass-like services.

Companies also prefer stable monthly earnings rather than less predictable monsters with big spikes and downtimes.
From what I read about ps now. Ps3 games are only available in streaming. While you can download and stream ps2/ps4 games. I don't know how the download mechanics works. I'm assuming the download is deactivated once you didn't pay for thenext month.

Edit: PlayStation Support downloading is only for ps4.

Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI are my most anticipated games, so i'm very tempted but at the same time, my brother may sell me the 2nd most powerful graphics card in the world (literally right under the new 3080) for a mere 350 bucks in a few months and they may be too good of an offer to pass up. currently have a GTX 970 Graphics Card. So the future of bethesda games for me may very well be on the PC. I'll have Playstation 5 and PC, so when you look at the bigger picture, there's really no need for me to get an Xbox. we'll see.
I know how excited you were for Elder Scrolls so I really hope you get to play it and enjoy it. Pc graphics cards have suddenly become much better value for money with the most recent line, which will bring down the prices for the rest too. (unlucky for me as I just bought the 2080 Ti this year)

I know how excited you were for Elder Scrolls so I really hope you get to play it and enjoy it. Pc graphics cards have suddenly become much better value for money with the most recent line, which will bring down the prices for the rest too. (unlucky for me as I just bought the 2080 Ti this year)
I'm not too worried. my current graphics card is 5-6 years old and can still run RDR2 on medium/high better than consoles currently can. and if I do upgrade by December, that's even better. I just gotta get used to playing Bethesda games on PC now haha. I can always connect my PC to my TV as well.

I'm not too worried. my current graphics card is 5-6 years old and can still run RDR2 on medium/high better than consoles currently can. and if I do upgrade by December, that's even better. I just gotta get used to playing Bethesda games on PC now haha. I can always connect my PC to my TV as well.
Yeah, I’ve always used my pc with my TV. For work as well as gaming.

Yeah, I’ve always used my pc with my TV. For work as well as gaming.
nice! My tv is currently in my living room so id have to brink it into my bedroom to do that. guess some rearranging is in order haha.

I just gotta get used to playing Bethesda games on PC now haha. I can always connect my PC to my TV as well.
Don't forget you can use Xbox and PS4 (possibly even PS5) controllers on PC. :cwink:

Gamepass is great for indie narrative games and story driven singleplayer games.

Don't forget you can use Xbox and PS4 (possibly even PS5) controllers on PC. :cwink:
I didn’t know PS controllers worked on pc too. Is that for all games where an Xbox controller would work? If so I might do this as I like the PS4 controller, and for the sake of variety lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"