PSN Pass Program Incoming.

KALEL114

Returned
Reaction score
Sony will bring single-use registration codes that grant access to online modes to the PlayStation 3 later this year in the form of the unofficially named "PSN Pass," the company confirmed today. As rumored, starting with Insomniac Games' Resistance 3, PS3 owners will need to buy online-enabled games new if they want to play online, or pay for the privilege with an online pass code.

Sony Computer Entertainment America offered the following comment on the new program, which will kick off in early September.

'We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities," an SCEA spokesperson told Kotaku in a statement.
"This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title. This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

Sony has sold single-use codes for online modes before, offering Online Entitlement vouchers for games like ModNation Racers and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3 for its PlayStation Portable. Third-party publishers including Electronic Arts, THQ and Warner Bros. have instituted similar online access programs designed to combat used game sales and generate more revenue for online multiplayer components.

Sony did not clarify plans for pricing or how territories without access to the PlayStation Store might purchase a PSN Pass, saying it will "be announcing more details in the future."
http://kotaku.com/5818629/sony-confirms-psn-pass-program-required-for-resistance-3s-online-modes

I hope they add this into Plus.

These companies really are taking greed to a new damn level. This is all done to cut into the used games market. These companies consistently prove they don't care about the customer.

Obviously the "online pass" is working for these companies though.

But i agree with you man, this needs to be included for PSn Plus subscribers, i wont be shocked if its not though, not in the least.

Last edited:
Downright AWFUL. This is one of the worst trends in gaming. A seen by the recent PSN fiasco, it proved to be a problem even after the PSN was up for Mortal Kombat. Luckily NRS waived it after they got enough complaints but still this is something that shouldnt exist

*siiiiiiigggghhhh*

Boo to you Sony. Boo. I hope you lose sales for this.

so is this like what smackdown vs raw 2011 did?

I agree with all of you. I have made my feelings clear in the other instances, that I really despise this practice. As a frequent Gamefly user, this Online Pass strategy really hurts. I knew as soon as it was successful with EA and the others, that it would start to become a new standard and it looks to be on it's way to one.

Meh. This has no effect on me since I buy all my games new. But no use complaining about it. The market supports these policies, so we're going to see more of it. Don't like it? Vote with your dollars and buy games new.

Yea i dont buy many used games either its just annoying to see how far out of their way these companies go to kick the customer in the ass. I mean these publishers already have their money for a used game sale. They arent losing any money, they've already made it for the 1st sale.

People should just say "screw online" and buy used.

LOL! Like that would ever happen...

Meh. This has no effect on me since I buy all my games new. But no use complaining about it. The market supports these policies, so we're going to see more of it. Don't like it? Vote with your dollars and buy games new.
that defeats the purpose of why people buy games used

I buy new often, but IMHO not every game NEEDS to be purchased new. If I can wait for a discounted price when it's used (40 or under) I'll buy it vs new..

They arent losing any money, they've already made it for the 1st sale.

I don't know if I can agree with that. I mean, yes they did make money from that one sale, but every time someone chooses to buy used, that's money that could have gone to the developers and publishers if that person would have bought the game new instead.

Which, under normal circumstances that wouldn't be a problem, but you have huge corporations like GameStop, (not to pick on GameStop, others are getting heavily into it as well (though GameStop is kind of the ringleader)), that are basing their entire business models around selling used games specifically.

That really puts the onus on publishers to incentivize as much as possible buying games new. The problem is when the publishers aren't encouraging new game sales, but rather punishing used sales, which is what we're seeing here. I get it, most people don't care about the developers, they probably don't even have any idea who makes their games. They just see the game they want, and if they can get it a few bucks cheaper used, then great. I understand. But you can't be surprised or even that upset when publishers and developers want to fight it as much as possible.

I do wish that they would go about it in a more positive way by offering additional maps for new sales or extra characters or whatever, but unfortunately putting a monetary gate on multiplayer is simply a much easier solution.

The "we need to take a piece of the used game market because it hurts us" spiel from devs is BS. They are just being greedy. They need Gamestop, Game, Amazon etc. more than they like to admit it. If the used game market suddenly disappeared right now, would the Devs be better off? No. There would be less people playing their games because not everyone can afford new everytime, less people buying their overpriced DLC (which is most of the time already on the disc you bought), spreading word of mouth, and even less people trading in games toward a new one. Also, if they so despised the used game market, then why even offer exclusive DLC just for them to advertise? I just don't buy it. I'm just going to take my day one purchase and make it a 2-3 months down the road purchase when the game goes on sale or even used.

I wasn't aware that making something, maintaining it, and wanting to get paid for it was "greed", but sure okay. That's an opinion.

They got paid for it. The sold each unit to the retailer and the retailer sold it to the consumer. Supply and demand. If the retailer does not sell all of the units it goes on sale.

I don't know if I can agree with that. I mean, yes they did make money from that one sale, but every time someone chooses to buy used, that's money that could have gone to the developers and publishers if that person would have bought the game new instead.

Which, under normal circumstances that wouldn't be a problem, but you have huge corporations like GameStop, (not to pick on GameStop, others are getting heavily into it as well (though GameStop is kind of the ringleader)), that are basing their entire business models around selling used games specifically.

That really puts the onus on publishers to incentivize as much as possible buying games new. The problem is when the publishers aren't encouraging new game sales, but rather punishing used sales, which is what we're seeing here. I get it, most people don't care about the developers, they probably don't even have any idea who makes their games. They just see the game they want, and if they can get it a few bucks cheaper used, then great. I understand. But you can't be surprised or even that upset when publishers and developers want to fight it as much as possible.

I do wish that they would go about it in a more positive way by offering additional maps for new sales or extra characters or whatever, but unfortunately putting a monetary gate on multiplayer is simply a much easier solution.

I know we, as consumers, really hate this devil advocate's view of the situation, but yeah. I remember a few years back when GS released their profit margin and how much came purely from used game sales that the companies were going to do something to combat that. No way they were going to see those kind of numbers and want to try and keep some of that for themselves. I'd go as far as to say we probably wouldn't see this particular practice if not for that, honestly. The shady DLC stuff would still be around, but I kind of think they may be less so.

I'm against it, of course. I think any consumer who had no stock in these companies would resist it, but I grit my teeth in saying I can at least understand why they developed this stuff outside just corporate greed and gauging for profits. I really think you could see the storm coming with the obscene amount of profits seen from used game sales.

Last edited:
This sucks balls.

People don't have £40 to throw at a game they know will drop to £20 or so in a few weeks. :\

I wonder if a game flops because people decided not to buy it due to it having an Online Pass who would Sony blame ? This would help make games go on sale quicker I guess after people choose not to buy it. This will more then likely back fire on Sony

There's yet to be a game that flopped by doing that practice. I really doubt this will, either. If it flops, it's probably is some other factor, like lack of interest or something.

I wonder if a game flops because people decided not to buy it due to it having an Online Pass who would Sony blame ? This would help make games go on sale quicker I guess after people choose not to buy it. This will more then likely back fire on Sony
It can backfire by dropping the sales of the used gamemarket down. For example if I were GS and this pass were $10, I'd sell recent used games for at most $48 instead of the usual $55. It should be intereting to see if they start to counteract that especially with more companies jumping on the Online Pass thing

This whole trend ticks me off. I know the developers want to get paid but they already made there sale from the 1st sale, now they want to make money from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th sale? Believe me gamestop is horrible and they deserve to one day go out of business with there shady tactics of trying to sell open games as new to customers but this hurts places like yard sales and flea markets where people sell there stuff to make some cash for there homes and etc. I long for the days like pre early 2010 where you could buy games used or new and immediately jump online. How about if sony and the developers want to charge us to get online then in exchange we should get some free dlc stuff since were paying to get online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"