Sony PlayStation 3 network errors leave frustrated gamers locked out of their console

My 60gig is up and running. Signed right in to PSN. No issues. Date says 2/28 though. I reset the time/date via internet and now has the correct time and date. :up:

Crisis averted.

LOL Awesome, I'm actually typing this from my PS3, I just did the same thing you did with the clock after seeing I was signed in and all is well once again in Sony land, game on dudes, man that sounded better in my head lol!!!:up:

Mines working again - Good Times..

However for the 1 game (FIFA 10) I was trying to play, I've lost every single trophy - Bad Times..

Still it was only sitting at like 20% so I suppose it could be worse... I could have been playing UFC Undisputed 95% :D

I am going to hold off for a little bit before I turn my system on just in case.

All I can say is ...
Overreact much, people?

I turned my PS3 on several times yesterday to see if the problem had been fixed and tried to log in, so if some cataclysmic data failure occurs as a result of turning the PS3 on then it's probably too late for me. Hopefully it's not that bad though, and that nothing bad is going to happen from having used it. I'm pretty sure the only danger is if you play a game and "earn a trophy," because if you get any trophies before the fix they will not be recorded, and you'll lose them as soon as the fix arrives.

117si6o.jpg

:hehe:

:csad:

I see that and raise you this:

500x_kevin_butler_8001050f.jpg

Did you not see this yet? :funny:

33901961.jpg

SWEETNESS!!

my PS3 is working fine and just as good as before it got that glitch

Sony screwed up, but they fixed the problem

looking over the PS3 forums at Sony's site, i can't believe there's people actually demanding that Sony send them free stuff because of that glitch. and are now saying that Sony sucks and they'll never buy from them again :whatever:

get over it losers, Sony fixed the problem

SWEETNESS!!

my PS3 is working fine and just as good as before it got that glitch

Sony screwed up, but they fixed the problem

looking over the PS3 forums at Sony's site, i can't believe there's people actually demanding that Sony send them free stuff because of that glitch. and are now saying that Sony sucks and they'll never buy from them again :whatever:

They never heard of ''Sh** happens.''?

Too bad they'll miss out on God of War III :awesome::hehe:

Yea, I looked it up today and appearantly all is well.

Very awesome indeed. You know Sony are breathing sighs of relief. :up:

I want a "i survived the apocalyPS3" t-shirt

Technically, Sony did nothing.

NeoGAF put forth the idea that it was related to a leap year bug, and lots of sites started picking up on it. Sony kept quiet, which was smart, because if that didn't fix it, it'd be a PR nightmare.

They didn't develop a patch/firmware upgrade, simply because it could introduce other problems.. especially in a situation where they rushed out code. Generally they like to test stuff for 24 hours, which the timeframe wouldn't allow.

Now, the telling thing is if Sony issues something afterwards.

But let's not kid ourselves, Sony did absolutely nothing in this scenario, and their silence, even to their own development staff was a tad disturbing, especially with what could have happened.

Since PSN is free, no one should get anything, but again, it'd be a good PR move. Again, we'll see how Sony proceeds, if they try to ignore this as if nothing happened and were caught with their pants down, or if they actually learned something from the experience.

Yes, basically the internal clock was trying to click over to 2/29 instead of 3/01. After the 24 hours passed and it clicked to 3/01 and corrected itself. At least that's how I understand it.

I wonder how many people got fired over this? Sony just dodged it's own RROD, someone has to take the blame. We'll probably never know.

I wonder how many people got fired over this? Sony just dodged it's own RROD, someone has to take the blame. We'll probably never know.

In retrospect this is more equivalent to that Zune incident than to the RROD.

Hard to say.

Wasn't it due to the SEGA chip on board?

http://www.segashiro.com/2010/03/02/arm-chip-to-blame-for-ps3-issues/
ARM Chip to Blame for PS3 Issues

If you remember back to a time in 2008 when 30 GB Zunes all over the bricked themselves on a single day – it turns out that the ARM Syscon cpu chip responsible for that terrible moment of chaos was also responsible for 8 out of 11 PS3 skus locking up the other day.

The chip has had known issues with dealing with leap years and RIMM and Microsoft have had to issues patches for these errors on Blackberry device and Zunes (respectively).

The problem was not due to PSN as everyone thought (including us) but rather the chip included in several models of the PS3. The system uses the small chip to control many of the PS3’s minor tasks. The clock righted itself when enough time had passed and there was a hardware fix that required opening up the console.

Many consoles were troubled, according to the Digital Foundry, who frowned on Sony’s relative silence during the matter:

“This isn’t just thousands or tens of thousands of units, it’s surely millions of them worldwide. While an internet-delivered mandatory firmware update could have solved the problem, it’s difficult to imagine how Sony would have handled the multitudes of these units in homes with limited or non-existent internet connectivity…In the here and now, the problem has righted itself and a patch for the ARM controller can be incorporated at Sony’s own pace into a future firmware update. Internally the company must surely be relieved about the bullet it has dodged.”

What's weird is that Sony is getting ready to put out another two models (likely hard drive upgrades) -- for that to happen on the eve of the bug, was another source of paranoia for some.

Kevin Butler's Twitter account:

- Sorry you had to do something else for 24 hours. I empathize. I game too. Kevin Butler, VP of Apologetic Apologies.

- To the guy who said he was pushing a hoop with a stick for 24 hours: lulz.

That's pretty funny.

I still get a kick out of "Sony fixed it".

How? They seemed to do the same thing we all did. Sit and wait.

yea, sony did nothing, which is FINE. Thy didnt need to. the biggest problem out of this whole situation is how people reacted.

Its absolutely ridiculous, I love the ps3 as much as any of the hard core fanboys, but try n judge better. go out with your girlfriend, and or just go out. Read a book even *gasp* you dont need your PS3 every waking second. you dont.

Everyone simply over reacted to the fullest and blew the situation out of proportion. It was obvious after the first few hours what exactly happened. RROD it was not! lol!

IGN was pretty ridiculous about it as well. "The Death of the PSN" .. really? the DEATH? They also blew it extremely out of proportion., they still are in fact.

yea, sony did nothing, which is FINE. Thy didnt need to. the biggest problem out of this whole situation is how people reacted.

Its absolutely ridiculous, I love the ps3 as much as any of the hard core fanboys, but try n judge better. go out with your girlfriend, and or just go out. Read a book even *gasp* you dont need your PS3 every waking second. you dont.

Everyone simply over reacted to the fullest and blew the situation out of proportion. It was obvious after the first few hours what exactly happened. RROD it was not! lol!

IGN was pretty ridiculous about it as well. "The Death of the PSN" .. really? the DEATH? They also blew it extremely out of proportion., they still are in fact.

Most of Sony's user base not able to use their system is a big deal, even if it ended up being nothing. Everyone in the industry who works with a PS3 basically had to take the day off. Developers couldn't use their debug units, reviewers couldn't play the games they needed to.

"Go read a book" is a belittling thing to say, gaming is a hobby, an expensive one at that, and it's not dumb for people to be upset about being shut out for day without warning and potentially losing data. Especially when Sony wasn't really giving concrete answers as to why, their press release was a little vague and I'm sure they were as relieved as anyone when the systems clicked back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"