Sony PlayStation 3 network errors leave frustrated gamers locked out of their console

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1254654/Sony-PlayStation-3-network-hit-PSN-error.html
PlayStation 3 owners around the world have been hit by a software problem that crashes their games consoles.Sony said it was working hard to identify and resolve the problem, which has left thousands of gamers unable to play their favourite games or access the online service called PlayStation Network. Industry insiders say the errors are most likely caused by a calendar bug. Many PS3 owners reported that their console clock had reset to Dec 31, 1999 or Jan 1, 2000, when it was supposed to switch from February to March. The fault only appears to have affected older PS3 consoles, rather than the more recent, ?slim? versions.Gamers said they were unable to access the PlayStation Network and were presented with an error message that read: '8001050F ? Hardware failure. Cannot update Firmware or connect to internet'. Sony said they were working 'flat out' to fix the glitch.
This blows....

Between 360's red ring of death and PS3's time/space flux issues, I feel quite content with my Wii right now. :o

I'm sure this will be fixed within the next 24 hours but it still ****ing sucks.

Well, I am glad to know it's not necessarily my PS3 unit that has broken down. I have an older unit, and I just checked and the time and date is indeed off. Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

Does this bug have anything to do with my not being able to access Netflix??

"Sony said the glitch only appears to be affecting the original PlayStation 3 and not the new slimline version"

Thank god :o

I'm divided. I'm a PS3 (and 360) owner, so I am directly affected like most PS3 owners. I ****ing love my PS3.

But, part of me wonders what the Apocalypse of a system and Multi-Billion Dollar Company would look like.

I think, if things go as far bad as some claim is possible...this could bury the Playstation brand.

Because of lost trophies?

Bit of an overreaction isn't it?

This'll be fixed within 24 hours, 48 tops.

Yes, this is a rather huge problem, and one that is affecting even the developers.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33995/Now-developers-PS3s-are-hit-by-system-errors

Various developers and studios are claiming that their debug PS3 units are failing from suspected internal-clock-related hardware errors.

A multitude of debug consoles – crucial to the development of current PS3 projects – have been thrown into a rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message.

The issue comes as a separate issue is affecting retail PS3 consoles, though both problems are thought to be related.

It is said that when certain PS3 retail consoles attempt to connect to the internet, the platform shows error messages and are unable to connect to the PlayStation Network.

Sony has already claimed it has narrowed down possible causes for the retail problem and is working on a solution.

However, a Joystiq report has been flooded by claims that even offline consoles are being struck down – with the system’s clock reverting to 12/31/1999 and causing data-corrupting errors.

It's locking out devs from working on their games, thus halting all work on Playstation versions or exclusive games. This is affecting the industry in a rather large way and hopefully Sony can get a fix out there soon, or it could very well end up badly for them.

I NEED MY TRE! If I can't get back to Heavy Rain I'm gonna start turning cars over!

this is a major league balls up...how can they miss such staggeringly huge flaws in development??

psn is kinda choppy sometimes anyway but this is just poo.

I think trophies are the least of the problems.

Basically, things can get back to normal or go horribly wrong.

I think midnight is the time. If things don't go well at midnight, people who've been following this since last night will begin to freak. If things get to the 48 hour mark, then things would have gone bad. I'm assuming if it doesn't fix itself, Sony will attempt an update.

The worse of it all, is that it's not allowing people to play games offline. Even if you don't sign into PSN, your screwed. Even people who are not connected to the internet with they're PS3's are having problems.

We have 2 hours and 20 minutes to go. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Problem with an update, is that Sony will have to try and rewire PSN to allow these systems to connect with it, to even allow the update.

If they can't do that, then we are looking at them having to create a 'fix discs' or worse yet, recalls.

This can turn into a bad issue, as the PSN problem isn't the only thing, as this problem is possibly corrupting data, which means possibly saying bye bye to saves and/or dlc and such.

That's why I'm hoping (Sony as well) that the clock will fix itself in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

****...I hadn't even thought of that.

A post I read on a link provided by Havok in another thread, pointed out that even IF Sony manages to fix the problem via an update...that would still leave out about 50% of the reported non-internet connected PS3's.

Forcing people to connect they're system to the internet for the thing to be more than a paperweight can be a problem, I would think.

The funny thing is, Sony says they've got people working on this. What does that even mean? I'm assuming it's for PR, of course. They'll take credit for the system not blowing itself up at midnight or something.

Creating a fix disc for those without internet would be easy. The thing that will suck is that Sony can't take a chance bringing PSN back online with those units out there. So we could, theoretically, be without PSN for a few months possibly.

Hmm.

Lost DLC could cause quite a problem, although I assume there are records of who bought what, surely. Refunds should be given if it comes to that.

Not to mention the cost involved in sending out that many fix discs....but yea, this could have a long term effect on the PSN if they can't figure a way around it.

Creating a fix disc for those without internet would be easy. The thing that will suck is that Sony can't take a chance bringing PSN back online with those units out there. So we could, theoretically, be without PSN for a few months possibly.

That would suck.

I reckon it will fix its self.

I also think Sony's statement " we have people working on it " means they are sitting back sweating till midnight to see if it does indeed fix itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"