Psylocke/Kwannon Thread

Sithborg

Pretty in pink
Reaction score
Past 3 years, I've grown to love Kwannon as much as I love Betsy. She deserves a thread as much as Betsy.

Past 3 years, I've grown to love Kwannon as much as I love Betsy. She deserves a thread as much as Betsy.
I want them to do both Betsy and Kwannon this time around eventually and get the relationship between the two right and avoid bodyswapping.

Without the bodyswap, the relationship doesn't need to be there.

Without the bodyswap, the relationship doesn't need to be there.
I'm many years behind on the comics and I see you mentioned you'd grown to love Kwannon over the last 3 years. Is it all handled better recently compared to the 90s comics?

I'm many years behind on the comics and I see you mentioned you'd grown to love Kwannon over the last 3 years. Is it all handled better recently compared to the 90s comics?

In that her story isn't fully around the bodyswap, yeah. And they do a good job of giving her her own character and motivations.

In that her story isn't fully around the bodyswap, yeah. And they do a good job of giving her her own character and motivations.
Oh good to hear. This is a kick in the ass for me to get caught up then!

So glad there’s a kwannon thread, I absolutely adore her. I hope marvel talks to Karen Fukuhara for the role

I hope marvel talks to Karen Fukuhara for the role
I think she'd be good, but I wonder if she'd have any reservations about potentially being typecast. If she got this role her 3 most famous roles would be Kwannon, Kimiko, and Katana.

I wonder if they'll get an actual Japanese actress for the role.

I hope they ignore Kwannon and just adapt Betsy as the default Psylocke, and make her Asian. I'm just not a fan of Kwannon. I feel like she's Psylocke 2.0 in a way that X-23 is Wolverine 2.0.

When they brought back Revanche/Kwannon in the comics permanently, I'm still having a hard time distinguishing or separating Betsy/Kwannon, especially Kwannon is now called as Psylocke. Like everytime I see Kwannon, I always have to remind myself this isn't the Psylocke that appeared in plenty of comics/videogames.

I hope they ignore Kwannon and just adapt Betsy as the default Psylocke, and make her Asian. I'm just not a fan of Kwannon. I feel like she's Psylocke 2.0 in a way that X-23 is Wolverine 2.0.

When they brought back Revanche/Kwannon in the comics permanently, I'm still having a hard time distinguishing or separating Betsy/Kwannon, especially Kwannon is now called as Psylocke. Like everytime I see Kwannon, I always have to remind myself this isn't the Psylocke that appeared in plenty of comics/videogames.

I don't even know who Kwannon is. I thought Betsy Braddock was Psylocke?

I don't even know who Kwannon is. I thought Betsy Braddock was Psylocke?
Kwannon was the character that was introduced in the early 90s, that served as a member of the X-Men for about two years, until that character was killed. I don't remember which issue, Betsy swapped to a different body. But it was that time when the body swap became prominent to Psylocke's story, with Kwannon's introduction.

Sometime in the late 2010s, Kwannon officially returned to the comic books in a regular basis. The soul of Kwannon/Betsy were both returned to their respective original body. I don't know eXactly why Kwannon started using Betsy's codename Psylocke. But at that time, Betsy was Captain Britain. Kwannon was also wearing Betsy's signature costume, so it can be really confusing distinguishing the two.

Personally speaking, I don't really like Betsy as Captain Britain in the Excalibur comics I've read. I prefer Betsy as a member of the X-Men being called as Psylocke with dark purple hair. The current Betsy in the comics has light purple hair. I dropped Excalibur because the story wasn't good, and I don't really know what has been happening with Kwannon and Betsy that much in the recent comics, so that doesn't help. I only read Adjectiveless X-Men in the last two years and skip the other titles.

The relaunch of Uncanny X-Men should help as Kwannon is part of the roster. But for me, the definitive Psylocke is Betsy Braddock. I would hate it if MCU introduced Kwannon and makes her as their default Psylocke.

Kwannon is fantastic and deserves a fair go. We can probably do better in 2024+ than have an Asian character who is actually a white character plus it does Betsy a disservice to bind her story to Kwannon’s again.

If you keep them seperate you get two great stories

Kwannon was the character that was introduced in the early 90s, that served as a member of the X-Men for about two years, until that character was killed. I don't remember which issue, Betsy swapped to a different body. But it was that time when the body swap became prominent to Psylocke's story, with Kwannon's introduction.

Sometime in the late 2010s, Kwannon officially returned to the comic books in a regular basis. The soul of Kwannon/Betsy were both returned to their respective original body.

So Kwannon was the asian body that Betsy body swapped into?

So Kwannon was the asian body that Betsy body swapped into?
Yup. When she joined the X-Men for about two years in the 90s, she was called as Revanche. I don't know why they aren't using "Revanche" for her codename anymore. Betsy will always be Psylocke.

Yup. When she joined the X-Men for about two years in the 90s, she was called as Revanche. I don't know why they aren't using "Revanche" for her codename anymore. Betsy will always be Psylocke.
They could just simplify it in the MCU by just having a british asian called Betsy Braddock. That way there's no need for Kwannon or a body swap.

They could just simplify it in the MCU by just having a british asian called Betsy Braddock. That way there's no need for Kwannon or a body swap.

It is in the realm of stuff that should not be adapted. Much like Madelyne Pryor, even though I have grown to love her in the comics.

The fact that what people want from Betsy essentially all comes from Kwannon is a bit of a reason I created this thread.

I don’t know why people think Kwannon as psylocke is confusing but a Japanese girl called Betsy isn’t?

Kwannon is Psylocke. Betsy can be captain britain

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"