Psylocke/Kwannon Thread

I'm not dying on any hill but Bodyswap is obviously a No. (Okay, I'll die on this hill)

Adapting them both separately is possible but seems very unlikely imo. As I just don't see their being time and space.

Making Betsy Braddock, British is possible but as seen above people have issues with it.

Maybe they just give up and don't use her, but whatever it is will probably not be a widespread favorable decision.

Correct. And we can do better in 2024 than having the most prominent Asian character in the x-men secretly a white woman doing yellowface. Especially in a franchise about diversity and acceptance.

Plus this way you get not one but two great characters!
Starting to see why Psylocke is always mute in these films.

And that's if we get Kwannon and Betsy. There are so many X-Men to choose from.

Also its not Betsy's fault that some writer decided to give her that body swap story arc. Outside of the body swap, she still made a lot of contribution in the comics more so than Kwannon as a member of the X-Men.

And if people are okay to racebend certain characters like the Professor, Magneto, Rogue, Gambit, Jean, Cyclops. I don't see why they can't make Betsy an Asian from birth in these movies. She was already portrayed by two Asian women in the movies as well.
I’m not saying it’s Betsy’s fault, I’m saying the body swap did both characters a disservice and you can still do great stories without erasing Kwannon.

And it’s not a racebend. It’s literally a white woman in an Asian woman’s body which is the issue. If we want diversity we don’t just want people’s skin, we want their authentic stories and selves and to empower them

Starting to see why Psylocke is always mute in these films.
Yeah that’s sort of another issue as well. I read a study that said the most desired accents tend to be European (British, Italian, French) and least desired come from other nations. So people kind of fetishise Asian people but hate when they speak. I can’t help but think the bodyswap thing is kind of related to this, like straight guys are like “wow hot Asian chick but don’t worry she doesn’t have that gross accent!”

East Asian Betsy is not inherently an issue. Making her a ninja you start to get into Shang Chi Mandarin territory, where you are trying to make something that wasn't originally okay into something okay.

East Asian Betsy is not inherently an issue. Making her a ninja you start to get into Shang Chi Mandarin territory, where you are trying to make something that wasn't originally okay into something okay.
Let's get even more tone deaf and get Jessica Henwick for the role. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"