Iron Man Q & A w/Jon Favreau from his Myspace site!

Someone needs to ask him if he is considering using the Black Sabbath-Ozzy track of Iron Man somewhere in either the trailers or somewhere thrown in the soundtrack

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:49 PM

Instant KarmaWrote:
1) Will we only be seeing one Ironman suit in the movie or a variety of them? Will the suit go through an evolution during the movie or is that for sequels?

2) Are we going to see the Sentient Armor at all, or maybe allude to it?

3) Steady love interest or is Stark a total *****-hound?

4) Jon Favs as Happy Hogan?

Jon Favreau:

1. We plan on more than one look.
2. You want it all in the first movie?
3. Read the books. What do you think?
4. I better start working out. I look more like Foggy right now.

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:53 PM

AndrewWrote:
Would you prefer a well known actor or an unknown for IM?

Jon Favreau:

Still discussing it. Not sure yet. There are a lot of good well known actors. We are by no means required to use a star to get this movie made. We'll do what's best for the film.

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:54 PM

JoshWrote:
Did doing Zathura make you want to do more action/sci-fi movies?

Will you shoot green screen or on real sets?

josh

Jon Favreau:

1. Yes
2. A combo, most likely.

More to come...

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:43 PM

Advanced DarkWrote:
Jon,

1) Are you signed for a 3 pic deal?

2) I know you haven't talked to any actors yet but surely you have some actors names swirling around your head before this project was official. Are there any actors you'd like to talk to that who's names you could share with us?

3) As I mentioned in another question it is feasible to have Foggy Nelson make a cameo in this movie. Fox/New Regency has already said they have no plans to revisit Daredevil so why would they care and surely those Daredevil rights will be reverting back to Marvel soon anyways. I think that would be much more worthwhile than just an empty cameo.

4) Besides the wonderful artwork from Max do you already have people working on the designs and conceptual artwork?

5) I there any film that you'd like to remake? There are so many cool ones coming out like Posedion, Clash of the Titans, etc...

Jon Favreau:

1. No
2. No
3. I've heard he just died in prison.
4. Yes
5. Must Love Dogs

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:45 PM

BroodWrote:
Do you have a favorite design for the armor ?

Thanks!

Jon Favreau:

I like the look of the Extremis armor.

Posted: May 9, 2006 5:46 PM

IanWrote:
To Mr. Favreau

If there is an Iron Man game released with the film, which is common with big movies, would you have any involvement with the design and production of the game or would you simply focus on the movie and just approve aspects of the game?

Thanks,

Ian

Jon Favreau:

I would love to work on the game.

Yep...more to come.

Somebody tell him to make sure the armor doesn't have muscles. That's probably the most annoying part of the suit in the comics.

Posted: May 10, 2006 8:59 AM

Page Six reported that Tom was in some way attached to play Iron Man pending his opinion of the script. As far as I know, there is no truth to this rumor. Before I came onboard, there was some discussion between Marvel and Tom's people about him playing the role, but my understanding is that that was all before the rights reverted from New Line back to Marvel. This story might be old news. This is all I know.

-Jon Favreau

More to come...

This has been awesome to follow!
I am really amazed and surprised to find out Jon Favreau feels very much the same as many of us do and have discussed in our previous threads.
(How do I get him to read and comment on my idea for the storyline? Or anybody else's that we knocked around?)
I don't want to waste his time, but there's a lot of good ideas in those threads. If this story is set in present time with a Vietnam War tie-in, he should consider an actor like Tom Selleck to play Tony. Tom Selleck wouldn't do it, but I like the image of him in the armor.
(If you really want fantasy casting, I'd love to see Sean Connery play Tony Stark. Or even Howard Stark. Can you see those two argueing over something? Wouldn't that be a hoot.)
The biggest problem with any of the armor designs is the connection/movement of the leg pieces where they attach to the trunk (shorts). Think of the mechanics involved and you'll see what I mean. The upper body pieces aren't much of a problem, nor are the lower leg pieces.
The flexible rubber joints used in RoboCop made it painfully obvious there was a trade-off in the design. A true suit of armor made to the modern suit look would give the wearer a major testicular pain.
This suit is suppose to be next to indestructible.
Will there be an attempt to create the flexible arms and legs "mesh-metal" that was in the original Red and Gold suit? Or will that only be attempted for the joints and used as an overlaying sleeve for the flexible parts of the armor?
It would work in CGI, but you still have to explain the connections in real-life. Real-life suits of armor aren't made that way.
And please, use the round chest unit. Using the 'diamond' just screams "Hey! look at me! I'm SUPERMAN!" (BFD!)
I want an up to date version of the Red and Gold suit.
I'm on the bandwagon. Let's roll!

^ Isn't Tom Selleck a tad old to start a franchise. I think you're thinking of 20 years ago. He's not the same.

If Howard Stark is part of the movie, like Bruce Waynes father was in Batman Begins, then Tom Selleck would be great for Tony's dad, but not as Tony.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Isn't Tom Selleck a tad old to start a franchise.

I don't think so.
He's already got a new one in the works with his Jesse Stone cop-series of made-for-TV movies. A character that shares 'some' similarities with Stark.
And like Connery, age doesn't seem to show itself so much on him.
(Although Sean is in pretty good shape for a guy in his 70's.)
Selleck still looks like a guy who can run 10 miles a day, throw a baseball across a field with some force, and punch the lights out of any one stupid enough to deserve it. As I said, he wouldn't do it. It was fantasy casting on my part. But someone like him would fit the parameters of what we've been given so far. Unless they're looking for a 30-ish, tall, skinny guy like Caviziel (sic).
I think I'd throw-up if Cruise was actually being considered.
(Please say it isn't so!)

Ironfan72 said:
If Howard Stark is part of the movie, like Bruce Waynes father was in Batman Begins, then Tom Selleck would be great for Tony's dad, but not as Tony.

Yes, this would work.

Tom Sellek could never play Tony Stark/Iron Man but as stated above has Mr. Stark it could be ok I guess but I think he'd be a distraction. No matter what movie he's in you think Magnum unless he shaves his stache and then he looks femme. Besides his voice is too "off" for Stark.

Kudos to you for asking if he's reprise Foggy in a cameo, even though the answer was basically not there ;)

Have you watched him in his Jesse Stone series or his Eisenhower movie?
He did a pretty good job as Eisenhower, but there was no way you saw Ike when you watched him. He did a good job tho' and I liked it. His Jesse Stone series has been enjoyable to watch too.
It's not a grown-up Magnum, PI.
It's better.
Magnum was fun. That's all.
Stone is a realistic setting. He has matured into a pretty good actor.
Anyway, you'd have two totally different takes on Tony's father if either Selleck or Connery did it.
We need someone who is believable as a genius inventor, business wizard and womanizer.
Hmmm, who could we get that fits that description?
Could it be....

(Hell, I don't know. What? You thought I had someone specific? Clark Gable or Errol Flynn is the closest I've seen and those guys been dead a lonnnggg time.)

skorponok said:
Kudos to you for asking if he's reprise Foggy in a cameo, even though the answer was basically not there ;)

I think he did say he wouldn't rule it out.
He also said something about Foggy dying in prison or something in one of the current comics.

InkSlinger said:
I think he did say he wouldn't rule it out.
He also said something about Foggy dying in prison or something in one of the current comics.

I wonder if he is screwing up the first arc of the New Avengers.

Posted: May 10, 2006 7:34 PM

Nick J. AssWrote:Hey Jon I just have a few questions that I hope you answer...

1.) Were you offered to direct Iron Man first or did you pursue it first?

2.) If you're at liberty to say, is the focus of the script more so on Tony's own issues or a villain?

3.) Can we expect any cameos from superheroes that have worked with Iron Man like Hawkeye?, but not neccessarily him.

4.) Are you planning on a completely serious approach to the film or are you going to bring in some of your comedic elements as a director?

5.) If you could direct any other Marvel film what would you choose?

6.) (this has nothing to do with Iron Man, I'm just asking as a fan of yours) Who is your favorite director around today?

Thank you for your time. Not many, if any, people would do this so you must be a true fan and will without a doubt make one hell of a movie.

Jon Favreau:

1. They brought it up to me.
2. Both
3. No
4. Watch my other movies.
5. Iron Man 2
6. JJ did a great job on MI3. Spielberg's the best.

Posted: May 10, 2006 7:36 PM

Advanced DarkWrote:
Ok I lied...one more question for the night. A real serious one.

Regarding Elf.

There's one particular scene in that movie that really just cracks me up. When I think about it I laugh out loud it's so f'n funny. You know when Will Ferrel is in Central Park and then it cuts to the news media covering his sighting and they show a glimpse of him walking with a gape like Bigfoot in that famous video from years back and then it freezes on him in mid stride.

Who wrote that part in? I'd love to see that as an animated gif so I can use it as my Avatar.

Just classic. Gotta go watch Munich now. Speaking of Munich. If Eric Bana snakes his way out of Hulk 2 I'd go after him for Iron Man.

Jon Favreau:

It was something I planned to shoot that way when I wrote it in the script. I actually ran the super 8 camera myself. I was uncredited on both counts.

Posted: May 10, 2006 7:39 PM

V for VinceWrote:
Hi Jon,

I think this is a great thing you're doing... just don't let us silly fanboys ever compromise your vision... we're trouble like that sometimes.

Anyway

1. Does a darker tone seem more likely for this picture (ie Daredevil or Batman Begins) or will it be more of a lighter super hero movie? (ie Fantastic Four or Spider-Man)?

2. (I understand that you're in the very early stages of this project, but....) Are there plans to CG armor or Build an "functional" suit for the actor to be wearing?

3. Did Marvel Studios approach you with Iron Man or with various Marvel properties and let you take your pick? and if so what were some of the options you had and what attracted you to Iron Man?

4. And finally, are you a fan of super-hero films (specifically, the current "comic book renissance)? Can you give us some details as to what you've liked and haven't?

Thanks man. Good luck with the film... I'm very excited!

Jon Favreau:

1. In between.
2. Something like that. Usually CG.
3. It was either that or the Wasp. No. I'm kidding. It was always about IM.
4. I see them all with my son. I like about half. I'll leave it to your imagination which half, but I'm guessing it's the same half you like.

Posted: May 10, 2006 7:40 PM

Iron DanWrote:
Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to create this blog as well as taking the time to be active in answering our questions.

1. Is Don Murphy still producing this movie?

2. Do you have an estimated budget yet and if so can you tell us what it is?

3. How do you pronounce your last name?:

A. "Farve" like the QB

B. "Favrow"

C. "Smith"

Thanks again for the blog, Jon, and good luck.

Jon Favreau:

1. Not that I'm aware.
2. No
3. B

Posted: May 10, 2006 7:42 PM

AndrewWrote:
Who do you have working on the designs and concepts?

Jon Favreau:

Someone you'll like.

More to come...

echostation said:
Word is Stan Winston is on board folks....

If its true than thats huge, Stan I believe was the one who created the Green Goblin armor, he is very hard to get these days.

Stan is classic and I hope when he's gone he has a great replacement for the industry that he's trained.

Ironfan72 said:
If its true than thats huge, Stan I believe was the one who created the Green Goblin armor, he is very hard to get these days.
well thats good they worked together on zatura.

Posted: May 12, 2006 1:00 PM

anthonyWrote:
Jon,

Congrats on getting IM.

There is alot of talk comparing Ironman to Batman. How do you plan to make IM destinctive?

Jon Favreau:

Bruce Wayne is pretending to be a suave, womanizing millionaire as a front to protect his identity. Tony Stark really IS a suave, womanizing millionaire.

Lots more to come probably tonight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"