Queens Elementary School Adopts All-Vegetarian Menu

I don't see why this is a controversy. Although I disagree with the vegetarian dietary lifestyle, eating a salad for one meal a day isn't going to kill you, and considering the average diet of the American non-vegetarian, it will be extremely helpful.

If you object to your kids not being fed meat for one meal in a day, or think this is some sort of conspiracy against you, please pull your head out of your ass and wipe the **** from your face before speaking again.

This x's 10000 half of these kids these days eat a steady diet of McDonalds and Burger King. A salad during the day will only encourage a healthier lifestyle.

I will never be the parent to put their kids through this sugar/corn syrup **** storm that is our American diet. We need to start acting and if the parents wont treat their kids health with respect, then the Public School systems stepping in is a great idea.

I'm with you on sugar and corn syrup 100%.

I don't want to help anyone nor I have time to waste on "post rants". I just posted something relevant to the thread.

Yeah I may end up crazy. That's one negative thing when being conscious and aware of the world you live in and trying constantly to make a difference.

I like to think I do the same. Regardless of my diet.

To posit the other side, it is ironic that so many vegetarians in practice often end up consuming more of these unhealthy sugars because of what is lacking in their diet.

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to sit here on my high horse and say I only eat chicken and vegetables everyday. I enjoy a burger or a bag of chips every once in a while. Its the fact that half of these kids who are on these meal plans go home to low income families that can't afford proper groceries so they get takeout and fast food every night for dinner. If the child gets one healthy meal a day, and that happens to be at school, I am 100% for it.

To posit the other side, it is ironic that so many vegetarians in practice often end up consuming more of these unhealthy sugars because of what is lacking in their diet.

Yeah I never found a vegan diet to be a healthy one. You are depriving your body of essential protein and fats. I feel like its more of the "message" they want to send then anything.

P.S. I am a meat lover. The day you take a steak away from me, is the day you pry it from my cold dead kung fu grip :D

Last edited:
^^ That's another thing I don't understand: I have seen little or no evidence that somehow fresh fruit and vegetables are so much more expensive to buy on a per serving basis than frozen garbage or fast food. Granted I live in Canada, but our economic systems are not so different.

I think that is a false, lazy argument that some people at the margins use as an excuse for their terrible personal planning and their self-perpetuating cycles of poverty and despair.

Last edited:
If you want to go out and buy fresh meats, fish, vegetables for the family for the week or order off the Dollar Menu at Mcdonalds? I think there is a gap.

I can agree though that some parent's ****** eating habits add to it. I can see where they can use their low income as an excuse. I by no means make a lot of money but I buy all healthy food for myself.

I would like to see a week $ wise a family that buys healthy food, to a family that buys only fast food.

Fast food isn't unhealthier than if you went to a normal restaurant.

Just don't get soda or anything that went into a fryer.

I don't see why this is a controversy. Although I disagree with the vegetarian dietary lifestyle, eating a salad for one meal a day isn't going to kill you, and considering the average diet of the American non-vegetarian, it will be extremely helpful.

If you object to your kids not being fed meat for one meal in a day, or think this is some sort of conspiracy against you, please pull your head out of your ass and wipe the **** from your face before speaking again.

Very well put.

I am not so sure that sugar does indeed harm us. If you think about it, glucose is the fuel of our body cells and brain.

I like to think I do the same. Regardless of my diet.

But by consuming meat and dairy or wearing animal products, you support the slaughter farms that are mass killing and polluting the environment by wasting precious recourses to contain a great number of animals, when instead we could feed the poor and homeless.

How do you make a difference with this mentality?

If you want to go out and buy fresh meats, fish, vegetables for the family for the week or order off the Dollar Menu at Mcdonalds? I think there is a gap.

Fish is expensive, so take that off the menu, but I think if you price out how much it costs for two adults and two children between 8-15 to eat at McDonald's, you can come up with a good, healthy, homecooked meal for that amount.

You won't be shopping at Whole Foods or anything, but you also won't be doing anything differently than what generations and generations of poor and/or immigrant families have been doing throughout history to feed their families without buying dressed up garbage.

But by consuming meat and dairy or wearing animal products, you support the slaughter farms that are mass killing and polluting the environment by wasting precious recourses to contain a great number of animals.

How do you make a difference with that?

And you say you're not attacking meat eaters.

If you truly only factor in someone's diet when considering the good they do in the world, that's really simplistic and condescending. How smug do you have to be to think only vegans make a difference in the world?

I'm done here. There's no point to it.

Fast food isn't unhealthier than if you went to a normal restaurant.

Just don't get soda or anything that went into a fryer.

I know plenty of restaurants that are far more healthier than any fast food place. Now I don't consider Applebee's or TGIF a restaurant though. You may.

I know plenty of restaurants that are far more healthier than any fast food place. Now I don't consider Applebee's or TGIF a restaurant though. You may.

I'm sure there are plenty. I mean a typical restaurant. I never mentioned the ones you listed. It's not an economic thing, which seems to be your point. I can take you into virtually any fine dining establishment and point out loads of entrees that are loaded in fat and empty calories.

And you say you're not attacking meat eaters.

If you truly only factor in someone's diet when considering the good they do in the world, that's really simplistic and condescending. How smug do you have to be to think only vegans make a difference in the world?

I'm done here. There's no point to it.

:huh: Dude I am just posting valid arguments. Why do you feel offended by that?

I never said someone's diet is the only factor in changing the world. There are many other things also you can do. But if you take a look objectively, animal eating is among the most serious issues with many ramifications in our everyday lives. And one can very easily stop eating meat if he choses so contrary say trying to stop a war somewhere in another country.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty. I mean a typical restaurant. I never mentioned the ones you listed. It's not an economic thing, which seems to be your point. I can take you into virtually any fine dining establishment and point out loads of entrees that are loaded in fat and empty calories.

It's not an economic thing at all. I know plenty of small shops/food carts that sell delicious fish and fresh meats for around 5-8 bucks.

And those same fine dining restaurants I'm sure have very healthy choices as well. Its all about

1. Portions
2. Choices

Anyone can find crap food anywhere these days. It's about making the personal choice to avoid them. My whole point in this thread is that children don't have the luxury of choice. They are fed whatever their parents shove into their mouths. And if they have poor habits then the child will, so these school's are stepping in to give the children at least one healthy meal a day, and I'm all for it. Be it vegan or whatever. At least they'll get one healthy meal.

Last edited:
I never said I was against this.

Speaking as a former New York public school student, P.S. 244 sucks!

P.S. 120 4 life, brah. :o

This probably won't go over well but it's funny how the "truth" can be spoken so many different ways.

Well the inhumane sloughtering of inoccent and cute animals, the forced separation from calves from their mother and killing afterwards in filthy and disease spreading enviroment certainly is not some kind of propaganda, but a very real thing. And I prefer the "propaganda" of a plant based food that promotes ecological behavior and compassion towards every living being instead of consuming the rotten flesh of a dead body or wearing it."

So it's about the way they are killed, not the consumption of the meat then? So that strikes out "healthier" as this has nothing to do with it. Proper slaughtering and humane treatment are important to society and to "ethical meat" but not the diet. Spouting PETA propaganda and yet they are the most inhumane treaters of animals? Ironic.

Eskimos NEVER thrived as a civilization and most of them are obese ,sick and fat. The humans who thrived were the ones who have been eating VEGAN HIGH CARB DIE. Plus they didn't have plant based food choices due to the ice. I mean people would even become cannibals to survive if there wasn't any plant or animal around them.
Now they are, just like the rest of the modern world but prior to the modernization and processing of meat, they were healthy. The traditional diet was one they lived on for millennia before Europeans came along. There was no higher risk of heart disease or other diseases like scurvy associated with it.

Claiming they never thrived as a civilization is the same as saying North American Indians never thrived. Or that anyone prior to Europe "thrived." Living in a frozen tundra with literally nothing but frozen ground and ice to work with puts a damper on innovation.

The Inuit Paradox
Why Eskimos never got scurvy despite an all meat diet.

Surely you've actually bothered to research this yourself?

Do you realize that it is impossible for meat to be unprocessed and clean enough for the billions of people to consume it? It isn't affordable from a financial standpoint and not practical enough.
Similarly, you make an assumption that all vegetarian will solve all the food problems in the world. It won't. Are you so naive to think that all that vegetable is unprocessed, fresh and grown just outside of town? Do you know the time, distances, methods, the kinds of pesticides and treatments made to make sure your vegetables are at the supermarket fresh? It's not all sunshine and roses for your diet either.

For instance, Quinoa is now so expensive, the farmers who grow it can't afford to eat it themselves. There are plenty of other examples of this but it's all for the good of the vegetarian diet in the civilized world.

If you want to bring in the billions of people who need to eat, come prepared to defend it with a better argument.

Yeah I will never accept meat is healthy. Not after I stopped eating it compared to fruit and vegetables.
That's fine. For you. Forcing it on others however is most definitely not.

This is all far more complicated than your confused defense of the supposedly healthier diet but suffice it to say, you seem more comfortable not torturing animals than letting the humans who grow your food be able to afford it themselves.

What I am saying is that there needs to be a balance and that this balance isn't going all vegan because you don't want to feel bad cute little animals were killed. Or that the all vegetarian diet is the only good diet myth.

Last edited:
And just to add to this, Popular Science even had a article (with citations) showing some of the bunk posing as fact about meat, calories, carbs, etc.

What I am saying is that there needs to be a balance and that this balance isn't going all vegan because you don't want to feel bad cute little animals were killed. Or that the all vegetarian diet is the only good diet myth.

I couldn't have said it better. When it comes to eating, the key is common sense. All the food groups are essential unless you happen to be someone with a disease that inhibits proper processing of a certain food type.

If people want to go vegan/vegetarian for themselves, so be it. But forcing this kind of lifestyle on growing bodies in simple wrong. PETA is an organization of fanatics who push a social agenda. I don't want them anywhere near my kids' meals.

Honestly you could pretty much eat whatever you wanted as long as you follow 2 simple rules

1. Daily physical movement...walking...whatever it doesn't have to be intense
2. Portion your food.

The second is the hardest for people. Being able to put the bag away before its completely empty, being able to put the cookies away after only a few. For me this was one of the hardest things to overcome while trying to lose weight and engage in a healthier lifestyle. It still is really difficult at times.

Small portions of "bad" food is not really terrible. Its when you over consume and start to verge on gluttony that the problem, and the lbs start to pack on.

I can agree though that some parent's ****** eating habits add to it. I can see where they can use their low income as an excuse. I by no means make a lot of money but I buy all healthy food for myself.

I would like to see a week $ wise a family that buys healthy food, to a family that buys only fast food.

I'm not trying to start any arguments or silly nationalistic nonsense but is fresh fruit and vegetables really that expensive in the U.S as I've heard posters say this before?

Every major supermarket or town market in the UK sells some sort of cheap fresh fruit or vegetables or does regular discounts on them. Fruit and vegetables are far cheaper than meat over here. You can buy a huge bag of apples for £1.

If I go to Publix (a local supermarket) and want fresh strawberries Ill pay like $4.50-$5 for about 10 strawberries. I think fruits are very expensive here. I've never compared them to other countries but I always had a feeling they were priced high.

This probably won't go over well but it's funny how the "truth" can be spoken so many different ways.

Why not? I suppose we are civilized enough to carry an discussion calmly.

So it's about the way they are killed, not the consumption of the meat then? So that strikes out "healthier" as this has nothing to do with it. Proper slaughtering and humane treatment are important to society and to "ethical meat" but not the diet. Spouting PETA propaganda and yet they are the most inhumane treaters of animals? Ironic.

Actually I don't associate my self with PETA. If that article is valid indeed then shame on them.

Now they are, just like the rest of the modern world but prior to the modernization and processing of meat, they were healthy. The traditional diet was one they lived on for millennia before Europeans came along. There was no higher risk of heart disease or other diseases like scurvy associated with it.

Claiming they never thrived as a civilization is the same as saying North American Indians never thrived. Or that anyone prior to Europe "thrived." Living in a frozen tundra with literally nothing but frozen ground and ice to work with puts a damper on innovation.

The Inuit Paradox
Why Eskimos never got scurvy despite an all meat diet.

Surely you've actually bothered to research this yourself?

Maybe I overreacted in that particular subject. I will check the links soon. But in a quick notice their way of life needs a higher level of fat for sure to survive the cold conditions contrary to us who have lots of choices in vegetables is bad for our health, hence the many cases of clogged arteries in the western world.

Similarly, you make an assumption that all vegetarian will solve all the food problems in the world. It won't. Are you so naive to think that all that vegetable is unprocessed, fresh and grown just outside of town? Do you know the time, distances, methods, the kinds of pesticides and treatments made to make sure your vegetables are at the supermarket fresh? It's not all sunshine and roses for your diet either.

For instance, Quinoa is now so expensive, the farmers who grow it can't afford to eat it themselves. There are plenty of other examples of this but it's all for the good of the vegetarian diet in the civilized world.

If you want to bring in the billions of people who need to eat, come prepared to defend it with a better argument.

Of course I don't believe all vegetables are organically grown or without pesticides. But it is easier and cheaper to grow in every home your own vegetables.

That's fine. For you. Forcing it on others however is most definitely not.

This is all far more complicated than your confused defense of the supposedly healthier diet but suffice it to say, you seem more comfortable not torturing animals than letting the humans who grow your food be able to afford it themselves.

I am not the kind of person that would force anything to anyone. Oh don't bring the "You care more for animals than humans" thing. I care the same for any being that suffers and being tortured animal or human.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"