Question about JLA

GNR

Avenger
Reaction score
I saw no dedicated JLA thread,so I thought I would ask this in a new thread.

Is a JLA movie possible?Does WB own all the rights to DC's characters?Could all of these characters appear in one flick without any red tape?

A film with the 'Big 7' is possible (meaning WB could do a film), but in my opinion, very unlikely. It seems like too much of an effort to provide aqeduate background info on the characters who won't garner their own films, as well as come up with a credible threat. It'd be a really ambitious project. It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure on the feasibility. My hopes centering on a JLA film are limited to animated ventures. I'd love to see otherwise, I just don't think it'll happen.

I believe there are only a few character hang-ups concerning media rights; Blue Beetle, Black Lightning, Plastic Man, maybe a few others, but none of the major names.

Yes a JLA movie is possible. Warner Bros. owns the rights to the Big 7 and they have rarely sold the rights of other DC properties to other studios.

okay,thanks for answering

I agree,it would be a huge undertaking,they could make the solo films first so they won't have to tread any old ground in a JLA film

a film like a JLA flick would be hecka expensive too

but i think if they ever did do a JLA movie,it would draw soooo many different age groups:

-older people who simply grew up with the Super Friends cartoon
-comic readers new,current and old
-people who only watched the new JLU cartoon
-movie-goers who only know the characters from movies

The JLA is also rediculously expensive. There's too much to pay for, especially if you insist on the Big 7 being the main characters, to say nothing of the villain.

Laying background is easy, honestly, obviously, you can't go deep into seven characters, but the real challenge is balancing the JLA's power level with your budget.

GL1 said:
The JLA is also rediculously expensive. There's too much to pay for, especially if you insist on the Big 7 being the main characters, to say nothing of the villain.

Laying background is easy, honestly, obviously, you can't go deep into seven characters, but the real challenge is balancing the JLA's power level with your budget.

Not just that, but WB will have to cough up the money to get the actors, cause now that Batman and Superman are back in the movies, comic fans will want Bale and Routh, if Ryan Reynolds is still up for the Flash fans would want him. Same goes for Jessica Beil if she really is up for the role of WW.
Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter would be easy to cast cause there really is no talk in the WB yet about a movie with those characters (I don't care what people say the project with Jack Black is not a GL movie). Aquaman the producers would probably turn to either Alan Ritchson or Justin Hartley.

Then not to mention the actor(s) to protray the villian(s)

So the movie could happen, but it would be very pricey

Mister J said:
I believe there are only a few character hang-ups concerning media rights; Blue Beetle, Black Lightning, Plastic Man.
Who owns rights to these 3?

As much as I would love to see a JL movie . . . I'd would also like to see Sandy Collara do a World's Finest live action series.

IKnowSomeJudo said:
Who owns rights to these 3?
It's still DC in one form or another, but the varied media use is sometimes tricky. As far as I can tell, it stems from people not envisioning much use for certain characters beyond printing them in books (sort of like the issue with song royalties on TV show DVD releases). Blue Beetle has hangups because of broadcasting rights from an old radio show. Those are supposed to expire soon (if they haven't already). DC has long had issues with Black Lightning's creator and royalties (which is why 'Black Vulcan' was created for the old Superfriends show). While just digging around for the scoop on Plastic Man, I see there was a pilot produced (but unreleased) for Cartoon Network this year, so he's probably not tied up. With the early 80's Plas show, I thought there might have been some complications there too.

GNR4Life said:
okay,thanks for answering

I agree,it would be a huge undertaking,they could make the solo films first so they won't have to tread any old ground in a JLA film

a film like a JLA flick would be hecka expensive too

but i think if they ever did do a JLA movie,it would draw soooo many different age groups:

-older people who simply grew up with the Super Friends cartoon
-comic readers new,current and old
-people who only watched the new JLU cartoon
-movie-goers who only know the characters from movies
Who cares how much it costs WB. As long as it gets made, they will probably recoup their money,

COME ON JLA!!!!

If they can do an X-Men movie . . . or THREE . . . why can't they do a Justice League movie?

batbat_29640 said:
If they can do an X-Men movie . . . or THREE . . . why can't they do a Justice League movie?

cause the X-Men with the exception of Wolverine, wouldn't have a movie about the single character. Cyclops won't get his own movie, nor will Storm. The JLA on the other hand all can be made into single movies.

the other part is money, that's why they can't do it yet. I mean DC's biggest movie is Batman Begins, Superman Returns was a budget let down. So DC will see how Wonder Woman, and Flash do with budget to decide whether or not to put a JLA movie on the big screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"