Question about Millar's Spidey run....

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by GNR, Apr 12, 2006.

1. GNR Registered

I'm asking this here since I know I would probably get a biased opinion in the Spidey thread.

I'm a big fan of Millar's Marvel stuff and have pretty much all of it with the exception of latter UXM and his MK Spider-Man run.

I've never been a dedicated reader of Spider-Man in my entire life so I wasn't naturally drawn to this at first.Then I considered picking it up just because Mark wrote it.

Is it worth hunting down and picking up?Or is my money going to be better spent elsewhere?

2. tt Registered

It's awful and horribly cliched. Millar never understood Spider-Man.

3. Vic Von Doom Registered

Your money is better spent on Wanted, Chosen, or Superman: Red Son if his Marvel stuff is all you know.

4. GNR Registered

Oh,I loved Wanted.I read my cousin's hardcover and loved it,but haven't had the funds to pick it up.

5. gildea Registered

It was actually really good and quite old school in it's execution. If you like mllar's other work you'll enjoy it (it does have some of his nastiness in it). Millar definetly understood spiderman (don't quite understand that criticism), there are plenty of nods to old school stan and steve stories throughout and he reuses a lot of their tropes that we'd not seen for a while.
    It is very much an "everything and the kitchen sink" kind of arc.

I would agree that red son is a better read though.

6. Elijya Registered

I have not read it, but people's reactions to it seem very polarized - many hated it, many loved it

7. Spectre722 Registered

millar's spiderman sucked. the first arc was actually pretty good, "Down Among the Dead Men". That showed some potential but then he blew it with "Venomous". The X-Men cameo that actually never happened. Kills Eddy Brock, and then makes Peter implicate John Jameson? weak very weak. and if that wasn't enough, he totally **** on spiderman with "The Last Stand". Hey big surprise the Green Goblin was behind it the whole time! Then that bull**** excuse of a conspiracy twist that all the supervillains were assigned and managed by corporate head honchos. we get scorpion as our mystery voice man, and then venomized scorpion, the sinister twelve, super killer brain-washed doc ock and another stupid showdown between spidey and green goblin thats supposed to mimic the death of gwen stacy with that stupid bridge.

8. Goldenage Batman More Hated then Feared

Yes...but the brain-washed Doc Ock going after GG was cool...:bomb:

9. Mara Jane Registered

Actually, the point of the whole 12-story arc was for it to make fun of Spidey cliches. It did succeed at that pretty well.

Overall, I'd say it was pretty good, with the exception of the logic behind Peter telling Jonah that John Jameson was Spider-Man or why Peter would actually choose to break Norman Osborn out of prison. The latter point especially did not sit well with me. It made Peter look like an idiot and a sap. Even MJ had better sense than he did. "Oh, gee, Aunt May could die? Okay, I'll go break a psychopathic killer - who WILL kill again - out of prison. I won't feel guilty at all having those deaths on my hands as long as Aunt May is safe." Yeah, that's really heroic. :down

10. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

You just described every Spidey writer these days.

11. gildea Registered

Thats really quite considerate posting such a major spoilers in a thread where someone is considering buying the books. I would suggest editing your post out of common politeness.

12. euroq Registered

It's crap. The first issue was decent but the story went downhill from there.

:)

13. Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

You just described every Spidey arc in every title these days.

14. euroq Registered

:rolleyes:

I'm very much enjoying both ASM and FNSM. Even Sensational (at least the first two issues) have been better than anything Millar or Hudlin did.

15. Lackey Registered

don't waste your money... even if you considered the arc average instead of awful, you'd still be wasting your money as the entire thing is pretty much a throwaway story not relevant to anything going on in Spidey's life. It might as well have been out of continuity.

16. Roughneck Registered

I came in here to defend it until Spectre opened my eyes to the suck that it was.

Actually I didn't but I dislike it even more after this comment.

I was going to day....There were a couple really good ideas that were poorly executed. Millar forewent great story and chatacter for Blockbuster action and stuff.

Read someone elses but don't pay more than $1 an issue for it.

17. Not Jake Registered

MK Spidey wasn't average. MK Spidey SUCKED. Fooking Millar.

18. Lackey Registered

yeah it sucked :down

not as much as Sins Past, though :)

19. Orko Is King Registered

*Looks at MK Spidey HC on his shelf*

Well, I enjoyed it...:confused:

20. WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

Marvel Knights Spider-Man was a waste from issue 1.

21. -Casey- Guest

I had heard bad things about it but my friend borrowed the hc so I read it.

Yeah, it's bad. I'll stick to JMS written Spider-Man.

22. GNR Registered

Thanks for the honest opinions.With the expense of new comics today and the size of my list,this one will probably go on the back burner.Don't worry,I still love you Mark!

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Add me to the list of those who hated it. It's one of several stories that have made me dread Millar's Marvel superhero work now. He's great at everything else, but his Marvel work has been god-awful for the most part.

24. gildea Registered

You and me against the world buddy ;)

25. GNR Registered

Not a fan of Ultimates or his Wolvie run?