Question about Millar's Spidey run....

TheCorpulent1 said:
Not even slightly. I dropped his Wolverine about three issues in and I dropped his Ultimate X-Men even before I decided to drop Ultimate stuff altogether. Then, of course, there was Trouble. ;)

UXM was awesome, and still is...I never read his Wolverine because until recently with what happend in house of M I've just had no interest in the character...and god, why the hell did you make me remember Trouble? If there was ever anything that deserved all the hate it gets, it's that steaming pile of crap...the art was pretty, but that's about it

TheCorpulent1 said:
I was upset with how they treated Hornet. :(

They didnt treat him at all, they just killed him.

GNR4Life said:
I'm asking this here since I know I would probably get a biased opinion in the Spidey thread.

I'm a big fan of Millar's Marvel stuff and have pretty much all of it with the exception of latter UXM and his MK Spider-Man run.

I've never been a dedicated reader of Spider-Man in my entire life so I wasn't naturally drawn to this at first.Then I considered picking it up just because Mark wrote it.

Is it worth hunting down and picking up?Or is my money going to be better spent elsewhere?

You know, you've only gotten responses from people who hated it here. Ironically, you would've gotten a much better respose @ the Spider-Man forums ironically. It DID sell incredibly well, and did 'cause a lot of controversy. One of the things about it was that many people who don't go on forums really enjoyed it.

I'm a HUGE Mark Millar fan, and I absolutely relished his run on MKSM. I was a little let down by his Wolvie run, but hey, you can't win 'em all. Although it did have it's moments.

I bought every issue of his MKSM run and loved it. I bought issues for my comic reading and non comic reading friends. They ALL loved it. My girfriend at the time thought it was great and was asking me when the issues are coming out. Last Xmas I got the hadcover edition for myself and read it again.

Infact, Stan Lee wrote the intro to the hardcover and gave it a big thumbs up. He was even, (unsually,) honest at the start and said that he didn't feel like writing it. He then went on to say that he finished reading the book and loved it. Although cliched, it stuck to all the Stan Lee fundamentals that made the charachter. Mark Millar just updated it for this generation. Stan always liked to write somewhat cliched, and cheesy, so Millar kept it this way. Millar says this himself all the time

I say go buy the book. And if you still feel like you need other people opinions, go other places from here, the Spidey forums will help you a bit maybe, but truly speaking from one Millar fan to another, you'll love it. He started this after Wanted, so you'll see ideas from that trailing into this story

Don't forget, Millar's 1st Marvel story he read was The Death of Gwen Stacy. So he's always wanted to write Spider-Man since then, and knows a hell of a lot of his continuity and history, but doesn't get weighed down by it. It's a damn fun read to boot! :)

Ya know, Trouble was a very good book if you just forget who th' characters are implied to be.

Spectre722 said:
millar's spiderman sucked. the first arc was actually pretty good, "Down Among the Dead Men". That showed some potential but then he blew it with "Venomous". The X-Men cameo that actually never happened. Kills Eddy Brock, and then makes Peter implicate John Jameson? weak very weak. and if that wasn't enough, he totally **** on spiderman with "The Last Stand". Hey big surprise the Green Goblin was behind it the whole time! Then that bull**** excuse of a conspiracy twist that all the supervillains were assigned and managed by corporate head honchos. we get scorpion as our mystery voice man, and then venomized scorpion, the sinister twelve, super killer brain-washed doc ock and another stupid showdown between spidey and green goblin thats supposed to mimic the death of gwen stacy with that stupid bridge.

Yep. It really is quite craptastic. Sometimes it was just bad (like Spidey's meeting with the Avengers) and sometimes absurd (Jonah thinking Spidey is his son, John). Heh, thankfully PAD got rid of that ridiculous plot twist in FNSM.

I'm a long time Spidey fan and I think this story is down there with 90's "gems" like Maxium Garbage and the worst stories that Howard Mackie, John Byrne and Terry Kavanagh produced. :down

Thank God for JMS and PAD. :up:

wolvie2020 said:
You know, you've only gotten responses from people who hated it here. Ironically, you would've gotten a much better respose @ the Spider-Man forums ironically. It DID sell incredibly well, and did 'cause a lot of controversy. One of the things about it was that many people who don't go on forums really enjoyed it.

I'm a HUGE Mark Millar fan, and I absolutely relished his run on MKSM. I was a little let down by his Wolvie run, but hey, you can't win 'em all. Although it did have it's moments.

I bought every issue of his MKSM run and loved it. I bought issues for my comic reading and non comic reading friends. They ALL loved it. My girfriend at the time thought it was great and was asking me when the issues are coming out. Last Xmas I got the hadcover edition for myself and read it again.

Infact, Stan Lee wrote the intro to the hardcover and gave it a big thumbs up. He was even, (unsually,) honest at the start and said that he didn't feel like writing it. He then went on to say that he finished reading the book and loved it. Although cliched, it stuck to all the Stan Lee fundamentals that made the charachter. Mark Millar just updated it for this generation. Stan always liked to write somewhat cliched, and cheesy, so Millar kept it this way. Millar says this himself all the time

I say go buy the book. And if you still feel like you need other people opinions, go other places from here, the Spidey forums will help you a bit maybe, but truly speaking from one Millar fan to another, you'll love it. He started this after Wanted, so you'll see ideas from that trailing into this story

Don't forget, Millar's 1st Marvel story he read was The Death of Gwen Stacy. So he's always wanted to write Spider-Man since then, and knows a hell of a lot of his continuity and history, but doesn't get weighed down by it. It's a damn fun read to boot! :)

Exactly it was a fab fun story with a typical millar twist.

Whooo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"