Question about Ultimate FF and the 'Frightful Four'

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Horrorfan, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Alex Summers Registered

Yeah, I just realized you refuted that. I'm not thinking clearly this morning and my posts obviously show that. (rough night, too much tequila)

I apologize to Horrorfan if I came across as a jerk.

2. GOODT!MES The Last Fan

Hey, been there.

Sorry for jumping on your case, too, but I hate it when people insulted.
    Even though you didn't mean it.

3. Alex Summers Registered

I just realized that I told him to stop posting because I thought he sounded stupid. If one would go through my old posts I'm sure they would find just as much stupidity, or more.

4. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

I see nothing awesome about meddling in their marriage but hey, that's just me.

5. GOODT!MES The Last Fan

It's not quite a marriage yet, so he's like a superhuman version of that muscular guy at the beach who steals your girlfriend.

6. XwolverineX Registered

Ya don't know anythin', you idiot. Who cares if he's not up to date with 616 comics? That doesn't mean ya can tell him to stop postin'. Yer just being a *****e, an' no one wants you here. A n00b who thinks he's all-powerful. An' Ultimate comics are not lame, most of 'em are better then their 616 counterparts, you ignorant turd.

7. XwolverineX Registered

It's awesome that he uses his power to get lovin'.

8. Horrorfan Registered

Thanks wolvie and Goodtimes for sticking up for me. Alex, no problem, you're human. Im sure I have come off as a jerk to other people too, so no worries.

The thing is, in 616, I just don't find most of the characters THAT interesting (aside from the X Men and the odd exception like Punisher or Hulk). And I don't want to have to buy years of back issues (not that I would have the money even if I did have the inclination) just to understand why Cap is beefing with Thor or whatever is happening right now.

Ultimate is pick up and read. It's more relevant to today's society, and in particular with the Ultimates, I dig the political shinanigans Millar seems to pack in. It's the ultimate cinematic blockbuster with plenty of brains to go round. Ditto X Men (even though his characters there can be occassionally shallow, ie Magneto as a one dimensional bad guy...who is redeemed by the fact he is bad ass).

I like knowing I can pick up the trades with little to no knowledge needed of past arcs. I haven't read Ultimate x men in a while but when I do dip into it, it fills me up to date without ever burying me in continuity, and it's just fun to read. No laboured cross overs, no multi universe spanning events that goes on in a million comics, just one trade needed to read and enjoy.

The Ultimates line got me back into comics when x men launched, and for that alone, I give it props, to use the word the kids are using these days.

Also Sue and Reed are just dating at the moment in FF....and it wasn't that we think he's great for doing what he did, but it was pretty cool in a'omg what a sadistic son of a *****' kinda way. It's a memorable moment which will probably be talked about still for a long time yet.

9. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Well I'm the muscular guy who doesn't get his girlfriend stolen.

Wait till you get a girlfriend.

10. Horrorfan Registered

Dude wolvie is a P.I.M.P. That's HOW he gets girlfriends.

But seriously no one is like advocating that in real life man lol chill.

11. XwolverineX Registered

How's ya know!? :eek:

12. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

I'm very much chillin. Things that I don't agree with in real life don't tend to amuse me between the pages of comics.

13. Genis-vell Registered

Would someone be so kind as to fill me in on what Namor did that was so 'pimpin'?

14. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

What he always does, regardless of the universe: throw a monkey wrench into Sue and Reed's marriage/relationship. It was even worse in the Ultimate universe cuz Ultimate Reed is 10x more passive and timid than his 616 counterpart and practically let Namor take Sue out on a "date".

that =/= pimpin

15. Elijya Registered

Seems rather close-moinded, CS. After all, most comics are escapist fantasies. The very point of them is to enjoy things which aren't possible in real life, or things which can and do happen in real life, but you don't have to worry about the consequences because it's fiction. I don't agree with murder, but I can certainly enjoy a Punisher comic. And besides, as was pointed out, Ult. Sue and Reed aren't married, and they're BARELY involved. I'm not sure it's even been established that they're even dating. Namor got in the way, but it's what's called a lvoe triangle, an extremely common story device. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of many stories WITHOUT love-triangles. The Reed-Sue-Namor love triangle goes back over four decades as well.

16. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

The Ultimate Reed/Sue/Namor love triangle is more believable and tolerable because; as you said, Reed and Sue are barely involved. I still felt bad for Reed having to sit there and watch his "girl" go out with Namor. The 616 Reed/Sue/Namor thing is different, since they're married.

I have to thank you though, you've made me think. I'm a pretty non-violence kinda guy but I like to see my boy Colossus whoop arse every now and then. I'm just not sure where I place infidelity. That would be like me condoning racism within the pages of a comic too.

17. GOODT!MES The Last Fan

We're joking around. Hence, calling him a pimp when he doesn't actually run a brothel. We don't really condone it, its just fun and funny to say stuff like that.

And hey, I'm not saying you get your girlfriend stolen, i'm just using "you" in general. Like "one". If "one" were to do something. And also, I'm pretty sure most people here have girlfriends. Or boyfriends. I don't judge.

18. Elijya Registered

Just remember, it's entertainment. Namor doesn't try to seduce Sue because the writer is trying to condone infidelity, he writes it because it's good dramatic storytelling

19. XwolverineX Registered

Which also = awesomness. :confused::up:

20. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

I didn't take it personally at all :) It's just that my initial reaction was sympathy as opposed to "humor".

Oh totally. She Lies With Angels is one of my fav X-stories and it's about racism and prejudice. I'm talking about the reaction it got from "us". Us being the readers. I didn't read the love triangle arc and go "that's awesome, Namor's a pimp.' I went "Damn, Namor's a jerk, poor Reed.' Loved the arc nonetheless.