R-rated movies: Is anyone actually against them?

I think it's a moot point though. The adults are already annoying enough. Some drunk people came into V and then left halfway through. If anything needs to change, it's respect in the theaters overall, it's not the kids' fault.

kainedamo said:
Calvin, your attitude is not called for. Do not talk down to me. All I'm doing is stating my opinion.

I'm not saying that kids can't look at art. I'm not saying that kid's can't watch some films. I'm just saying they're an annoyance to others in the theatre. I also proved in the previous thread that kids emulate what they see on the big screen. A young kid's idea of reality and fantasy is a little skewed. I heard about this kid that was so terrified of the Halloween movie, that he was convinced that Michael Myers was after him. He was too afraid to leave his room and just sat in the corner of his room crying. His mother eventually found him sobbing in the corner of his room.

Some horror for a kid is good. Sometimes they can't handle it. Sometimes it's a good memory for the kid later on in their life. I do think though, in some cases they probably wished they were a little older before watching certain films.
Yes, you did, both in this thread and especially in the other. And I'm not talking down to you, unless you consider someone telling an idiot that he's wrong to be "talking down."

Ha, oh wait, that is talking down. Luckily, it's justified. Bonus! If you want to stop being talked down to, stop making asinine proclamations.

I'm looking forward to the Silent Hill movie, and I hope some parents take their children to see it.

I haven't insulted you once, Calvin. You can give me the same courtesy.

If you would pay attention, I have said all along I don't think parents should bring their kids into R rated films. That's different from saying they shouldn't see the films at all.

Do you know what a debate is, Calvin? For the past couple of months, I've found you rather insulting and closed minded. Closed minded people always resort to insults before actually discussing.

No, originally you didn't imply the resolution you are at now. But I don't think you and Calvin should be arguing about it. There's no question you put forth a different viewpoint about it now, and Calvin should be happy about it, despite the fact that you won't own up to it.

kainedamo said:
I haven't insulted you once, Calvin. You can give me the same courtesy.

If you would pay attention, I have said all along I don't think parents should bring their kids into R rated films. That's different from saying they shouldn't see the films at all.

Do you know what a debate is, Calvin? For the past couple of months, I've found you rather insulting and closed minded. Closed minded people always resort to insults before actually discussing.
I've often debated with you before insulting you, but you seem to have some vendetta against logic, while embarassing yourself at the same time. If that isn't cause for insults, I'm not sure what is. If parents shouldn't be allowed to bring their kids to R-rated movies, how is that different from the kids not being allowed to see them? Are you advocating uncles bringing them to the theater? Grandmas? You said over and over again in your other thread about this that you think the decision to admit kids should be taken out of the parents' hands, and that kids should be prohibited from entering R-rated movies. You're calling me close-minded? There really should be a stronger word than ironic. Maybe we can mix ironic and moronic into a word that means both. Assuming your parents didn't already when they filled out your birth certificate.

Man Calvin must have got all A's on all his english essays. :(

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but anybody who wants R-Rated movies banished from their community is an assclown

I've often debated with you before insulting you, but you seem to have some vendetta against logic, while embarassing yourself at the same time. If that isn't cause for insults, I'm not sure what is. If parents shouldn't be allowed to bring their kids to R-rated movies, how is that different from the kids not being allowed to see them? Are you advocating uncles bringing them to the theater? Grandmas? You said over and over again in your other thread about this that you think the decision to admit kids should be taken out of the parents' hands, and that kids should be prohibited from entering R-rated movies. You're calling me close-minded? There really should be a stronger word than ironic. Maybe we can mix ironic and moronic into a word that means both. Assuming your parents didn't already when they filled out your birth certificate.

More insults. This isn't a debate anymore.

Of course I'm calling you closed minded. You can always tell when someone is closed minded. You see, someone who has a closed mind usually can't debate and will be very quick to talking down to and insulting the opposition. At least I've relaxed my position somewhat. I do believe that some horror is good and fun. You're not willing to see my view point at all.

What's the point of this, Calvin? It's clear for anyone that's looking at this without bias who's being the ignorant and closed minded one. You can't accept my opinion. "You said over and over again in your other thread about this that you think the decision to admit kids should be taken out of the parents' hands, and that kids should be prohibited from entering R-rated movies. You're calling me close-minded?" Yes. Because, as can clearly be seen here, you can't accept my opinion.

It's such a cop-out when people can't see debate+insults as being both debate, and insults. You didn't address a single thing about the actual debate in that post, yet you're trying to call me out on not debating. Wow.

PWN3R RANGER said:
Man Calvin must have got all A's on all his english essays. :(
A's are for losers. I'm not satisfied unless my papers result in my teacher blowing me.

You're post was about 10% sarcasm, 85% insults, and 5% debate.

If parents shouldn't be allowed to bring their kids to R-rated movies, how is that different from the kids not being allowed to see them?

I'd say any adult interested in watching films on a regular basis would be annoyed at the mere presence of a child while watching an adult film. Kids are noisy, kids get bored and run around, kids are messy, and if the film is scary the kid can REALLY bother the other people watching the film!

People have made the point that adults can be just as bad. Well, adults misbehave in pubs and clubs, don't they? But pubs and clubs (most of them anyway) don't allow kids, even if they do have parents with them.

For the kids that aren't as good watching horror as other kids, watching the film at home is alot better. In the cinema, you got that big screen, you got the loud surround sound. Heck, sometimes the noises make me jump! I've seen adults nearly fall out of their seats because of loud unexpected scares!

A theatre screen showing an adult movie with kids watching it is more likely to have people screaming and being annoying than a theatre screen with no kids.

kainedamo said:
You're post was about 10% sarcasm, 85% insults, and 5% debate.

I'd say any adult interested in watching films on a regular basis would be annoyed at the mere presence of a child while watching an adult film. Kids are noisy, kids get bored and run around, kids are messy, and if the film is scary the kid can REALLY bother the other people watching the film!

People have made the point that adults can be just as bad. Well, adults misbehave in pubs and clubs, don't they? But pubs and clubs (most of them anyway) don't allow kids, even if they do have parents with them.

For the kids that aren't as good watching horror as other kids, watching the film at home is alot better. In the cinema, you got that big screen, you got the loud surround sound. Heck, sometimes the noises make me jump! I've seen adults nearly fall out of their seats because of loud unexpected scares!

A theatre screen showing an adult movie with kids watching it is more likely to have people screaming and being annoying than a theatre screen with no kids.
You're missing your own goddamn point from earlier. SOME kids are. That's exactly why the rule allows for discrection, by way of the parents, rather than an outright ban. The bar analogy is ridiculous because alcohol is physically more dangerous to a kid than to an adult, even if the kid isn't given a drink, he's being indoctrinated with the tendency to drink at an age when it would physically be utterly destructive, that rule has nothing to do with kids annoying bar patrons.

I still don't see the problem in allowing parents bringing kids to a "scary movie"

Well, I personally wouldn't miss Rated R movies as I seldom see them. I'm not much on sex, nudity, excesive cursing, gore, etc, so I won't watch them. That's partly due to my christian faith, and partly just because I don't like that stuff. I will say that there are certain movies where it hasn't bothered me, such as nudity and death in Schindlar's List. I feel that it was necessary in that film, and it wasn't overly excessive beyond reason. However, if it's just thrown into a movie just to be there, it turns me off. For the most part I don't think movies need to be to the point of being rated R, but for those movie makers that like throwing in random sex scenes, or scenes with someone's head exploding, feel free... I just won't watch it.

Kainedamo said:
I'm just saying that films have the potential to scare the complete crap out of a child.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
WHAT FREAKING HARM DOES THAT DO?!?!?

I've asked that every single time this topic comes up and never received an answer.
What is so bad about a kid being scared by art?!?!?

As I said last time, I had an irrational but mind-melting sheer terror of this little chinese fishing man miniature at my Aunt's house when I was little. Should we rate figurines now?

God, I was terrified of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. My friend's son loved the Lord of the Rings movies, but insanely, was terrified of some animal in Disney's Tarzan cartoon.

What are the horrible long-lasting effects of seeing a scary movie when you're a little kid? Please tell me. Do you grow up to be a necrophiliac cannibal-rapist?

Well, no, you don't, 'cause I saw a million terrifying things when I was little.
A black+White book of freaks with The Elephant Man and the mule-faced lady. Terrified me. Also, couldn't stop trying to read it.

GAWD!

*AHEM*

Why is it that for over a year now, when this topic comes up, my opponents are more than happy to go back and forth with me, but when I ask this ^ question, they act as if it was invisible.

Still waiting for the answer. How exactly is a child damaged by being exposed to art that scares him/her ?

When I was little I went off by myself in the toy store, turned in to an aisle, and there they had rows and rows of the Jaws toy. Great White Sharks and the IDEA of the Jaws movie were my greatest fear and my skin was electrified with fear. I ran like a cheetah to find my Mom and Aunt.

Now I look back on that with a smile.
How did that toy aisle destroy my psyche?
How did pictures of Gene Simmons that gave me nightmares irreparably damage my mind?
Freaking kids are terrified of howling wind, thunder and SHADOWS in the night for God's sake, shall we ban those too?

Answer the ****ing question, someone. PLEASE!

No we shouldn't ban any of these things. Being scared is a fun part of life. Why do you think people go on roller coasters, tell ghost stories, or watch scary movies. Kids are scared of anything but it isn't going to cause any permenant damage. I first watched Jaws when I was five and jumped out of my seat when he jumped out of the water when Brody was chumming. And I was scared for 30 seconds but I loved the movie and it has been one of my favorites ever since. It obviously didn't cause me any harm or fear as I love the ocean and am a certified scuba diver. Scary things are part of life and eliminating them would be a terrible thing and would make the world a lot more boring of a place.

By the way Wilhelm your argument is flawless and kainedamo has no legs to stand on in this argument as he is being pwned throughly.

heh, I know.

And yes, when Bruce pops up next to Roy Sheider's arm :eek:
Still gets me so bad. That's one of the reasons I love Jaws so much.

I saw Jaws when I was little, and was afraid to take a bath for like weeks.

I thought sharks were gonna pop out the ground, you know cuz water is in the tub. :(

PWN3R RANGER said:
I saw Jaws when I was little, and was afraid to take a bath for like weeks.

I thought sharks were gonna pop out the ground, you know cuz water is in the tub. :(
Yeah. My fear was so irrational that once it was my turn to do the dishes, but a good movie came on so we all watched it, so I left these really bad pans in a full sink to soak.

After the movie my Mom said, "Nope, can't go to bed till you finish the dishes. That was the deal for letting you watch the movie."

But by now the water was completely brown, couldn't see the bottom, and I was afraid to stick my hand in the SINK for fear of a miniature shark coming up. really. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"