Should R rated Movies have an Option?

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
Should R rated movies have a PG-13 version of the movie at the same time its release?
i was thinking of that today, and think it would be a good idea to get more $$ at the box office

Hell no, wear your Cherry-chungas and be proud, like Stallones Rambo finale. You can't do that in PG-13.

I think it could be a good idea but only if the theatre is big enough to split the screenings.

No. Some movies need to be rated R and shouldn't be edited down.

buts its a smart idea if you ask me, if some 13 year old kid wanted to see Rambo or Watchmen they couldnt, but if that same theater holds a PG-13 version along with a R version, it will be great for the box office
and Nivek if you want that R rating go ahead, all im saying that there should be two versions of a movie so all can see it and do well in the B.O.

Like the directors have any say in the matter.

well i guess your not a good businessman, as a economic standpoint its great for the studios

So, we're arguing for studio profiteering over artistry?

Do you work for Fox?

you dont know what im saying, you will still have the R rated movies in the theaters, but also have a PG-13 version for the kids that cant get in because of the age restriction. this will also help all those kids that sneek into the screens

you dont know what im saying, you will still have the R rated movies in the theaters, but also have a PG-13 version for the kids that cant get in because of the age restriction. this will also help all those kids that sneek into the screens

Should authors also make youth-friendly versions of their novels and remove all adult content?

Your theory is fine if you view film as little more than a product, or means of profitable entertainment, but I believe that the director's role is to produce a definitive work which adheres to his vision. Whether that vision is a PG-13, G or R is up to him (depending on the relationship he has with the studio). He should not be forced or persuaded to produce two different works solely to please the marketplace. I survived being a teenager and not getting into R-rated flicks, I suspect today's youth can too.

Yes it would be nice to have the option for some films but it would cost studios more money just to produce 2 different versions of the film for theaters. I would definitely hate for them to cut down & edit major R-Rated films like Friday The 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Halloween for example just to turn them into a PG-13 version.

Yes it would be nice to have the option for some films but it would cost studios more money just to produce 2 different versions of the film for theaters. I would definitely hate for them to cut down & edit major R-Rated films like Friday The 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Halloween for example just to turn them into a PG-13 version.

Or God forbid adult dramas like The Wrestler or Closer...

Hehe. Re-releasing Saving Private Ryan and replacing all guns with walky-talkies.

Should authors also make youth-friendly versions of their novels and remove all adult content?

Your theory is fine if you view film as little more than a product, or means of profitable entertainment, but I believe that the director's role is to produce a definitive work which adheres to his vision. Whether that vision is a PG-13, G or R is up to him (depending on the relationship he has with the studio). He should not be forced or persuaded to produce two different works solely to please the marketplace. I survived being a teenager and not getting into R-rated flicks, I suspect today's youth can too.

i see what your coming from, i say its up to the directors but i still want to see some rated R movie that has an option for viewers (so i can take my little brother too)

nah, i wouldnt want to be in the same room as i see some naked girl having sex and my brother watching it
it would just be awkward, + im 19 and the people at the box office said i couldnt take him since im under 21 (the movie we tried to go was The Strangers last year, he eventually went to see IronMan for the 3rd time)

nah, i wouldnt want to be in the same room as i see some naked girl having sex and my brother watching it
Then don't want to watch rated R movies with your brother, where naked women will show up. That's the answer to your problem, not the ******ed idea, "Movie studios should waste lots of money to make two versions of a movie just so I won't awkwardly sit with my brother in the theater watching ****."

thats not the basis of my point, i just said an example
its all about tha monay!!! (in McMahon's voice)

Don't they already do this...when the movies come out on DVD?

thats not the basis of my point, i just said an example
its all about tha monay!!! (in McMahon's voice)
If it was, then you probably should have thought it through and seen that... surprise, it would cost more to do that. Also, it would ruin the box office of one of the versions. So it's a horrible plan all around.

buts its a smart idea if you ask me, if some 13 year old kid wanted to see Rambo or Watchmen they couldnt, but if that same theater holds a PG-13 version along with a R version, it will be great for the box office
If a 13 year old wants to see a R rated movie, most likely they'll find a way to sneak into that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back