Rank the seasons, with comments

Superfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I just wanted to start this thread to give every one a chance to rank the seasons in the order that they enjoyed them. Also if you could, give at least a brief explaination as to why you ranked each season where you did, those are always fun to read. :)

I will start things off:

1. Season 5- had the largest amount and the highest percentage of good to great episodes, compared to any other season. Also, the best episodes were just INCREDIBLE. IT is also so far the only season of smallville that started off with two GREAT episode and ended with two great episodes. That was a first.

2. Season 3- the darkest season and really one of the most interesting. IT probably ranks 2nd in amount of good/great episodes. This one also ranks as the most shocking season, with some really dark and shocking stuff happening, especially in the finale which was operatic.

3. Season 2- This season I rank very close to season 3. In fact I might as well call it a dead heat between them for me. ANother great season with lots of great and intriguing episodes. I also love the season, and have a soft spot for it because it was really the first season where the mythos started to be explored. It is also here when Clark first learns where he is from and what his birth name is.

4. Season 1- overall I would say this is the weakest season, with the least amount of character arcs and plot line arcs that go throughout. However, given that this was the show's initial season, and it was still stying to "find itself" (naturally) durings its inagural season, it wins back some points and avoids being ranked last for me. There were still some pretty good episodes and a few great episodes.

5. Season 4- this season on its own, is better than season 1 because it had less freak of the week episodes and had more story arcs and such that it tried to focus on. However, given that this was the show's 4th season and that the show had just come off its two best seasons (great ones at that, in seasons 2 and 3), there was no excuse for season 4 to have so many lame filler and freak of the week episodes that it ended up having. Shame. Good thing the following season (5), ended up trumping them all.

I've only watched the first three seasons and the first disc of season 4, so I won't rank season 4 yet.

2 had the largest amount of good episodes, though it had the worst finale of the first 3 seasons. 3 is the worst season by far, in fact only 4 episodes were good by my count, with the rest being pure crap. I got soooo sick of this Lana Clark tell me your secrets why won't you let me in crap. 3's premier was pure ass, the whole Lex island crazy thing was SO ridiculously bad, as was the Clark motorcycle bad guy thing. Basically I watch Smallville for the good 7-8 eps it has per season amongst the pure freak of the week crap, and season 3 didn't even fill its 7-8 good episode quota.

Season 5 is no doubt in my mind the best but I loathed the 3rd season with a passion I can hardly express.... There were a few good eps that season but they were greatly outnumbered by the dreck like Delete and Velocity.

:eek:

I put that one last...

triplet said:
Season 5 is no doubt in my mind the best but I loathed the 3rd season with a passion I can hardly express.... There were a few good eps that season but they were greatly outnumbered by the dreck like Delete and Velocity.

I put that one last...

Season 3 was my favorite though, only slightly more than S5.

I feel so alone.:(

well i have yet to see season 4 (i wait for the box sets) but so far my ranking goes like this:

1.Season 3 (it was really dark and I loved getting inside Lex's head, it made him more relatable and his story even more tragic.)

2.Season 2 (well, I liked how Chole got more character development and I enjoyed the red K)

3.Season 4 (I liked seeing magic weaken clark, i liked the finding of the 3 crystals, but thought it was too drawn out. The witch heir thing was kind of conusing. Jason was kind of an ass-hole.)

4.season 1 (Though this is where it all began and it is great, but every other season was better. I did like the freak-of the week aspect. This season had the least exciting season finale of all the others, but the show was still getting it's footing)

I couldn't abide the blood storyline and people hated the stones storyline more than that?

It boggles the mind... the blood storyline almost got me to stop watching I hated it so much.

I'm sure you're not alone, however. I actually loved the 4th season so I might be considered a bit whacked....

triplet said:
I couldn't abide the blood storyline and people hated the stones storyline more than that?

It boggles the mind... the blood storyline almost got me to stop watching I hated it so much.

I'm sure you're not alone, however. I actually loved the 4th season so I might be considered a bit whacked....

I liked season four, just not as much as 3 and 5. I thought the blood storyline was rather well written and plot-hole deficiant. I just think the stone storyline was not written all that well...oh well to each his own.

I still like ya.:D

Brainiac 8 said:
I liked season four, just not as much as 3 and 5. I thought the blood storyline was rather well written and plot-hole deficiant. I just think the stone storyline was not written all that well...oh well to each his own.

*triplet shudders at the very thought of the blood storyline*

To each his own... Indeed. ;) :p

Brainiac 8 said:
I still like ya.:D

Right back atcha!

:D :up:

(1) Season 4

(2) Season 5

(3) Season 2

(4) Season 1

(5) Season 3

triplet said:

I put that one last...

I have to go along with that order as well.

Here's my reasons.

5. Awesome episodes, great character development, loved how all the relationships played out. Loved seeing a touch of Krypton brought into the mix.

4. Well it was all about Clark and I loved that. Loved seeing the last year of high school and the characters entering their adult years.

2. Started to touch on Clark's origins. Even the FOTW episodes were well written. I cant believe how much I enjoy Dichotic now, just because Clark served it up to Lana and Chloe. :D

1. This is what got me into Smallville. I loved seeing Clark come to terms with his origins and I really enjoyed the Clark/Lex/Lana relationships in this season.

3. Whilst this season had some favourite episodes, Relic, Phoenix, Extinction, Perry, Hereafter, Crisis, I thought the overall season arc was too boring. I'm really not that interested in Lex. Sorry :O

That's my list and I hope you appreciate it because it took me twice as long to type as it should have. I have a bandaid on my middle finger. :O

5. Best season so far, great perfromance's all round and some of the best episode from the whole series. And of course Brainiac

2. Red K, Lionel becoming a regular, few FOTW's. Theirs alot to like about season 2. We finale got Clana, if it was only berif

1. It started great and we got a lot of insite into the character's and their future. The Lex/Clark relationship and a great finale.

4. Painful to watch some times, few hightlight's but great ones

3. Beside's Excile, Phoenix , Perry. The season has a whole did nothing for me.

3) Lex VS Lionel interplay was the greatest part of this season. Memoria, Asylum, The Morgan Edge episode etc......

5) Started off decent and turned out bad, but hopefully 6 will be much better...given the focus on Lex.

1) Because the Pilot was the best episode of Smallville ever produced.

2) Freak of the week mania.

4) Awful awful season. Jason was horrible, Lionel's character got butchered, the 'stone's story got old fast, plotholes like Kryptonite in china, Lana as a magical witch was just.....wrong, Lois shouldnt have been there, alot of the highschool based stories were pretty bad here (Kryp-tuck, the kryptonite cheerleader love potion :down , eerk spirit :down , ripoff of glass house etc). Painful to watch indeed.

Season 5 started out strong, but went pretty limp towards the end.

1. S5 - Started out very strong, had a fairly decent middle, and finished out very strong as well. Easily the best season in my opinion, not to mention my two favorite episodes of all-time came out of here (503 and 522).
2. S3 - I loved the season-long arc between Lex and Lionel that finally came to somewhat of a halt at the end. Plus, some of the better episodes fell in here with 301 and 308.
3. S2 - I love the first four episodes and a bunch in the middle (217 anybody?), but I wasn't a fan of the general plotline revealed toward the end of the season.
4. S4 - Eh, I like some of the episodes (401, 405, and 422 definitely) but I dislike several of them.
5. S1 - I loved this season when it first aired, but looking back on it with comparison to the other seasons, I'm not a fan of it really. Some decent episodes throughout (namely 101, 112, 120, and 121) but a lot of FOTWs that I'm just not a fan of.

3) I don't know exactly why, but it was awesome from beginning to end.
5) A lot from the mythos was introduced, like Brainiac and the Fortress of Solitude, as well as General Zod (though I don't like how they handled his character).
4) Yet again, we saw alot from the mythology introduced (they broke their own no flights rule, I don't care if it was Kal-El or Clark doing it, it was awesome), Lois was introduced, and the episodes 'Onyx' and 'Run rank in my top 10 of the series.
2) They stopped the FotW trend, although having them in a lot of eps, they didn't have them every week, which was a definite plus. Also, 'Insurgence' and 'Rosetta' are two of my all-time favs.
1) Too many FotWs, but it did bring us the pilot and started an awesome show.

One thing I will say is that the acting gets better and better with every season.

And the writing gets worse and worse with every season.

Brainiac 8 said:
Season 3 was my favorite though, only slightly more than S5.

I feel so alone.:(

No, I'm with you, Brainiac. I LOVED Season 3. I thought it had the most drama, and I loved the mythology and the Clark-centric episodes. I really enjoyed the "secret" that Jonathan was keeping, which wasn't revealed until the very last episode of the season. I also loved how Lionel was completely obsessed with Clark. Season three was the best.

I think it would be a huge mistake to make Season 6 too centered on Lex. This is about Clark's journey. I do think that the next season should showcase both of them, but leaning more towards Clark. Otherwise, we will never get to the "Superman" finale.

Max said:
No, I'm with you, Brainiac. I LOVED Season 3. I thought it had the most drama, and I loved the mythology and the Clark-centric episodes. I really enjoyed the "secret" that Jonathan was keeping, which wasn't revealed until the very last episode of the season. I also loved how Lionel was completely obsessed with Clark. Season three was the best.

I think it would be a huge mistake to make Season 6 too centered on Lex. This is about Clark's journey. I do think that the next season should showcase both of them, but leaning more towards Clark. Otherwise, we will never get to the "Superman" finale.

Thanks for supporting me.:up:

You summed up much of why I loved S3.

1. Season 1- The simplicity and the purity of a then new show was intruging and attractive. It was interesting to see how this show was showcasing its own version of the mythology and the show's innocence of things to come made you want to wathc it more

2. Season 3, the show to me got really interesting here especially with Lex and the show was finally embracing a serious dark tone at times for it's standards

3. Season 2- Pretty good season and they moved on things quick. I always saw this as an extension of season 1 (well, obviously but you get my point) but Clark finally finding more about himself from Swann was key

4. Season 5- Good highights (Clana rekindled one last time and then Lex and Lana finally finding each other, Clark's mythology further moved on, Brainiac, the ship, Cyborg) However again despite the creative resurgence there was still stigma from season 4 where the writers seem to write the show in a questionable way (did the relationship have to end the way did it in Hypnotic and although I liked Lex-Lana is a divided risk move as was putting Zod in Lex and giving him powers) but you cant please everybody and although the show is difficult to hold interest in knowing how they have damaged certain characters they are still doing there thing

5. Season 4- Writer's Block begins. While Erica Durance was brillant as Lois and Kristin Kreuk was brillant (IMO) and charismatic as Isobel, those elements were not needed and when you take away that you had a season that was really a wreck plot and developmentwise. Jason? Bringing back Alicia? what was the point of this? Saving grace was Bart Allen and Clark's development as an adult

season 5 sensational- loved clana at the start off the season.

season 2 very good- learning more about clarks origins

season 3 fight seen in exile or phonex was unreal.

season 1 where ot all started loved the poilet.

season 4 don't agree with lois being in sv.

im so glad im not alone in my hate of season 3

season 2 - it was like they took everything from season 1 to the next level. and i loved the season final.
season 5 - every episode was amazing or horrible but when they where a hit they were some of the best episodes of the series
season 1 - back when we embraced the clark and lana as well as the FotW
season 4 - wtf... lana is a witch... really... thats what they came up with to give her a story...wow (i really didnt mind the lois in sv thing especially because ED makes a perfect lois)
season 3 - its the season where everything that was great about the first 2 seasons got really old reall fast. i was ready for clark to get over lana from ep3.1 and the freek of the week thing was seriously getting on my nerves

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"