Eternals Rate and Review the Eternals

I remember reading the action was poor, but I actually thought it was pretty solid. Specially that last fight, I love everything they did with Makkari. She was fantastic.

I still enjoyed this movie the second time around but man Gemma Chan was so boring to watch. Her and Richard Madden were a snooze fest together and couldn’t care less about their relationship. Wish we had spent more time with Thena and Gilgamesh

I just want to point out something which is the debate over the use of "robot" and in seeing bits of this againn there's LITERALLY a moment where Kingo calls them robots.

SPOLER ALERT

Ok finally got to see it on Disney Plus and I liked it.

As a standalone film I think it worked quite well. I didn't have any issues with the pacing, the characters, or any of the issues that people have been complaining about.

There was some genuine intensity in the fight in South America where it did seem like anyone could die, and someone eventually did. Druig had some serious intensity. All of the characters were pretty solid, and more importantly were directed to act in a certain way I think for specific reasons.

Angelina Jolie/Thena was given minimal dialogue but it added to her fierceness but also the sadness around her mental issues that I thought was played out as someone with dementia. It made her relationship with Gilgamesh that much more intense. It was like they could've had their own movie together.

Gemma Chan/Sersi has been criticised but I think she was deliberately asked to downplay her leadership qualities to emphasise the character's lack of confidence in herself that then got set aside and, at the end, it's her emotional strength which overcame Ikaris' physical strength.

Richard Madden/Ikaris was probably the weakest character but he did have to deal with the Superman syndrome.

The Deviants were probably the biggest failing with the film. And the next thing.

Probably the biggest issue with the film is the subject matter and the timing of its arrival in the MCU.

These characters are far too powerful, the underlying concept far too immense and where it fits within the MCU far too awkward.

The philosophy underlying it is not that complicated. What's complicated is the idea that entire planets (and specifically our planet where all the action is) is basically just like some embryo. It kind of ****s on all the times earth was saved.

It's probably they're going to keep coming up against now that they've jumped the biggest shark in cinema history with Infinity War/End Game. It was always going to be difficult for them particularly as more and more powerful beings enter the universe. They already don't know what to do with Captain Marvel and had to disappear her for most End Game.

What can they do with gods?

Not just Thor gods (who in the end they handled really well), earth and universe shattering gods.

It made me think of a solution.

Imagine in Shang-Chi when he's working as a parking valet and Robert Downey Jnr/Tony Stark pulls up his Audi?

What's going on?

He gets out of the car. There's no reference to Iron Man. He's just a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.....arm's dealer. This is an alternative universe where we never had "I am Iron Man".

It lets them wipe the slate clean. There's no need to keep making excuses as to why the Eternals didn't intervene when Thanos was wiping out half the universe. I mean if that is not an-Eternal-level-threat what is?

Back to this movie, another option open to them was to set it before the Avengers became a thing. They could've gone way back. Perhaps this film could have provided an explanation as to why earth was so special in the MCU, how the infinity stones ended up here, how there were so many extraordinary humans.

And they could've brought back Thanos. Alive and well before The Avengers show up, part or full Eternal, it would've been a nice way to tell another part of that story. it could've shown how he went the way he went. He'd have been a hell of a better baddie than the Deviants.

So for me the biggest issue with the film is where it sat within the MCU, and what they could've done with the subject matter, as problematic as it is.

My wife and I just finished watching it. I gave it a 5.....because it is an OK science fiction film with good special effects. But as a Marvel movie....Oh wow, they mentioned Thanos....well they mentioned Batman and Superman too.....are they really a DC movie?

My wife and I just finished watching it. I gave it a 5.....because it is an OK science fiction film with good special effects. But as a Marvel movie....Oh wow, they mentioned Thanos....well they mentioned Batman and Superman too.....are they really a DC movie?
Yeah I felt the Thanos and Avengers mentions were shoehorned in to remind us this is the MCU.

I have now started this movie 3 times and have fallen asleep each time. Maybe that’s an indictment on me and says more about my busy schedule as of late…but I don’t think so.

I so want to like Ikaris. But he is basically Superman. If Superman were a quiet, brooding, joyless introvert. (Insert BvS quip here.)

Im hoping to actually get through this soon.

I really wanted to like this.
It had it's moments.. some of the effects were pretty good. Some were bad..
I just don't know. I'm still trying to decide if I hated it or liked it.
A 7 I guess. It May go up or down once I watch it again.

I think the moon should have been used instead of the earth as the jesti They were put on the Earth to protect and observe
Yeah, bit of an odd one this. Nice try to be or do something a bit different from the usual Marvel formula, some of the visuals were pretty nice and epic and it certainly hints at some epic things to come in the future but the whole thing felt heavy and a bit of a slog to get through, none of the characters I really connected with or cared about that much to either really root for them in this or really bothered if they came back again. Having never read the comics its hard to know if thats accurate or not but I assume they weren't written all this bland there.

There was also some really odd moments and things that happen which then get explained why they happened in an exposition dump just after as well and some very jarring plot convenience's and head scratching moments that seem to be resolved 5 minutes later as if nothing had happened. The Deviants were a bit of an afterthought and barely mattered in the whole thing anyway, just CGI monsters to hit for the good guys. The huge time jumps didnt help either I dont think.

A rare misstep from the MCU and I can see where the mixed reviews came from, not completely terrible but rather forgettable. 5/10
I think they had far too many characters to introduce for the time allowed.
I didn't care about a single one.

I really wanted to like this.
It had it's moments.. some of the effects were pretty good. Some were bad..
I just don't know. I'm still trying to decide if I hated it or liked it.
A 7 I guess. It May go up or down once I watch it again.
I’d probably give it a 7 overall with some parts definitely above a 7 and others below.

Watched this last week, gave it a 8.

It was better than I thought. I think it was the first MCU entry I let some of the more mixed to negative reviews get to me a bit, so I was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

For me the runtime hurt it. As it dragged on, I started losing interest.

I was only interested in this movie because of people saying it was different from other MCU films and that intrigued me. But it didn't fully live up to that hyperbole imo. I still liked it more than I thought i would, but I can definitely see why people don't like it. It sometimes seems like it's trying to be two different things, a typical marvel Film, but not too much. And on the opposite end of the spectrum a antithesis to a typical marvel Film, but again, not too much. It felt like some kinda weird compromise. It also could have benefited from being told in chronological order. When it comes to the look of the film the only thing I liked was the look of the Celestials. Everything else looked dull to me. The actors and characters were ok I guess. I had no real complaint there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"