Rate MAN OF STEEL......once and for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there are going to be that many characters receiving significant attention.

I know. It's one big reason why I haven't got much faith in the sequel.

I cannot adequately express how strongly I disagree. I like MOS so much better than any of Nolan's stuff.

Most people don't though. That's why Nolan's movies are generally more popular and successful than MOS. He knows how to make great compelling movies that draws in and captivates audiences.

MOS left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman for the sequel.

I know. It's one big reason why I haven't got much faith in the sequel.

Most people don't though. That's why Nolan's movies are generally more popular and successful than MOS. He knows how to make great compelling movies that draws in and captivates audiences.

MOS left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman for the sequel.

True I'm not everyone's target audience but Your exaggeration is pretty out there also.

Cap TFA left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Black Widow, Nick Fury, Falcon, and Maria Hill for the sequel. :whatever:

Cap TWS left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Iron Man and Black Panther for the sequel. :whatever:

Why? All it means is that films that use shortcuts instead of really earning their pathos don't phase me. It means that I get more enjoyment out of things that try a lot harder and have a little more depth to them.

How was he outclassed? They were evenly matched throughout the entire fight.
Zod was in control of the fight.

Great to see that despite negativity and, dare I say it, over-analysis the poll indicates that MOS still appears to hit the right chord with plenty of fans.

Sure, it isn't quite TDK, but it's pretty awesome, IMO ! :super:

True I'm not everyone's target audience but Your exaggeration is pretty out there also.

I figured you were not since I constantly see you complaining about The Dark Knight. There is no exaggeration. Adding three DC heroes into the sequel, one of them being arguably DC's most popular, and one of the most popular of all time, is not a sign that MOS won over most of the audiences.

Cap TFA left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Black Widow, Nick Fury, Falcon, and Maria Hill for the sequel.

Cap TWS left so many people cold. So much in fact that they had to bring in Iron Man and Black Panther for the sequel. :whatever:

Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Black Widow have been in several Marvel movies, starting with Iron Man 2, and we know Iron Man was a huge success which everyone loved. They are all connected through SHIELD. That's the only reason they're in it. And they didn't have to put their names in the title of the movie either to try and attract more audiences like Batman vs Superman.

Black Panther and Falcon don't have the kind of audience recognition that the likes of Batman and Wonder Woman have.

Last edited:
I think there were certain “meta” concerns that greatly influenced MOS’s script. First: that in the minds of general audiences, Supes is considered anachronistic - too lightweight and “goodie-goodie” (especially compared to the “cooler”/successful competition like Batman and the Marvel contingent). Second: that one of SR’s chief issues was its shortage of action and physical conflict (again - especially compared with the competition). So it’s understandable the WB was going to address these things head-on, in what might have been their last attempt to nail down a workable formula for a modern Superman. (Keep in mind that a court of law essentially ordered them to have a movie in production by 2011.) Thus, WB would aim for more a more “grounded” portrayal, less idealistic boy scout; err on the side of too much action rather than not enough; etc.

Now with 20/20 hindsight, it’s easy to diagnose that (for example) MOS’s action quotient was so well covered that it might have been dialed back by 10 or 20% (with plenty left over) - so as to devote more screentime to drama, romance, character moments or what-have-you. But with no crystal ball, I think WB went “all in” in terms of rehabilitating Superman’s perceived liabilities.

Last edited:
Great to see that despite negativity and, dare I say it, over-analysis the poll indicates that MOS still appears to hit the right chord with plenty of fans.

Sure, it isn't quite TDK, but it's pretty awesome, IMO ! :super:

Definitely truly awesome in my book also.

Last edited:
The discussion was going smoothly until you came in and started acting like a five-year-old. If you don't want to be a part of the discussion, then don't.

Ironic considering I see Steamteck always looking for opportunities to criticize and complain about the Chris Nolan Batman movies, and nobody slams him for it.

You would think everyone would be used to MOS criticism. It's one of the most criticized comic book movies I've ever seen.

You would think everyone would be used to MOS criticism. It's one of the most criticized comic book movies I've ever seen.

Like someone said earlier, it's a cult. MoS is like the Church of Scientology here on the hype, don't criticize it.

Ironic considering I see Steamteck always looking for opportunities to criticize and complain about the Chris Nolan Batman movies, and nobody slams him for it.

Perhaps we should be on each others ignore lists. I actually past up many opportunities as you put them and stay away from TDK boards. If TDK stuff comes to my OS threads it fair game though. I do try to be polite though and always make sure I understand I'm a minority opinion and it MT opinion nothing more. I realize its many peoples favorite films but I feel I can polite say they're not for me.

Like someone said earlier, it's a cult. MoS is like the Church of Scientology here on the hype, don't criticize it.

Well that's silly. Any movie is open for criticism.

Perhaps we should be on each others ignore lists. I actually past up many opportunities as you put them and stay away from TDK boards. If TDK stuff comes to my OS threads it fair game though. I do try to be polite though and always make sure I understand I'm a minority opinion and it MT opinion nothing more. I realize its many peoples favorite films but I feel I can polite say they're not for me.

I don't have any desire to put you on my ignore list. Your criticisms don't bother me. I was pointing out an irony considering you were complaining about people criticizing MOS, when you constantly criticize much more popular comic book movies.

Definitely truly awesome in my book also. it does baffle me why those who don't like so desperately want to believe its such an abject failure though. probably says more about them than the film.:whatever:

It's telling when someone resorts to responses like this. Instead of acknowledging the criticisms and discussing it with the detractors, occasionally you see posts like this that do nothing to add to the conversation. You even got the eye-roll face in there for good measure, all that's missing is the word "haters" and this is the perfect fanboy post.
It's fine to love the movie and it's even fine to disagree with the criticism's leveled towards it, but do so in a manner that will add to the conversation.

I figured you were not since I constantly see you complaining about The Dark Knight. There is no exaggeration. Adding three DC heroes into the sequel, one of them being arguably DC's most popular, and one of the most popular of all time, is not a sign that MOS won over most of the audiences.

I'd bet good money that the main reason they are throwing in all these extra characters into the supposed "sequel" to Superman's movie is to fast track their shared universe. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with the audience's reaction to the character or his first solo outing (whether good or bad) and everything to do with the fact that they are doing all they can to get a DCCU started as quickly as possible.
Said this before but I've been here for several years and I've never seen such a divisive movie, where a good portion of the films supporters seemingly cannot handle the idea of the movie being flawed.
I'm still not convinced someone didn't rig the poll, which would further prove my point.

That's bull**** and you know it. Were you and Rodrigo "criticizing" it earlier? Criticism isn't what people have an issue with, childish vitriol that eventually invades any and every MoS topic is.

Well that's silly. Any movie is open for criticism.

I don't have any desire to put you on my ignore list. Your criticisms don't bother me. I was pointing out an irony considering you were complaining about people criticizing MOS, when you constantly criticize much more popular comic book movies.

----

Last edited:
That's bull**** and you know it. Were you and Rodrigo "criticizing" it earlier? Criticism isn't what people have an issue with, childish vitriol that eventually invades any and every MoS topic is.

No, we were joking (and Rodrigo isn't here right now, so just leave him out of it). I have criticized the movie many times on the thread for unpopular movie opinions and the BS thread. Some fans get whiny and defensive, like someone snapped their grandmother's neck.

It's telling when someone resorts to responses like this. .
I'm still not convinced someone didn't rig the poll, which would further prove my point.

I think these two sections of your post work well together.

You bloody well know I've debated these points for ages. pretty disingenuous from my point od view.

No, we were joking (and Rodrigo isn't here right now, so just leave him out of it).

Calm down :up: I mentioned somebody you were in a dialogue with. I didn't snap your grandmother's neck.

I have criticized the movie many times on the thread for unpopular movie opinions and the BS thread. Some fans get whiny and defensive, like someone snapped their grandmother's neck.

Yeah, but you're not interested in criticizing the movie. Because everybody knows where MoS's faults are. What you're interested in is riling up people who enjoyed the movie, quite a childish notion.

Said this before but I've been here for several years and I've never seen such a divisive movie, where a good portion of the films supporters seemingly cannot handle the idea of the movie being flawed.

In some cases I think it's the "Spider-Man syndrome" that I suffered from as a teenager. I made up my mind before I saw the movie, based on the trailers, tv spots etc. "This is going to be the best thing in the world". I'm not saying that Spider-Man is a bad movie, it's still one of my favorite comic book movies...but I wouldn't admit that the movie had any flaws, movie mistakes, bad lines and stuff like that. It was the best thing since the polio vaccine...

Yeah, but you're not interested in criticizing the movie. Because everybody knows where MoS's faults are. What you're interested in is riling up people who enjoyed the movie, quite a childish notion.

Riling up people? If you get high blood pressure when people are making fun of a movie you like, you should talk with a psychiatrist.

Riling up people? If you get high blood pressure when people are making fun of a movie you like, you should talk with a psychiatrist.

Says the guy who spends his time mocking the dialogue of a fictional movie on an internet forum instead of attempting constructive discussion...Right you are sir, right you are :yay:

Who do you think I was talking to? :huh:

Says the guy who spends his time mocking the dialogue of a fictional movie on an internet forum instead of attempting constructive discussion...Right you are sir, right you are :yay:

Yeah, I wasted ten minutes of my life there. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"